Author Topic: Finally, a new camera?  (Read 6358 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: Finally, a new camera?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:51 »
I use the Df but I do use it less now since I've got the Z6 recently.

What you have to decide first, is the format you want. you have already 3 DX bodies.
It's time now to go for a FX format, don't you think ? So, you can enjoy the genuine focal length of your prime lenses.

The Df is full frame/FX. In addition, size wise, is closer from you Fuji body you want to replace. AF is perfect (at least for my use) for moving subjects. I never had difficulties to focus with my manual lenses, thanks the clear viewfinder. And you can mount old Non AI/auto Nikkors which are now very cheap.

Tele converter : I was happy with the TC14 (with AFS 300mm f/4, now sold) as I never noticed much degradation. I tried the TC17, but I re-sold it quickly... ??? :)

I am using now a modified TC16 with my 500mm AIP which gives AF facility to any manual focus lens.

Good luck in your choice ! ;)

Francis.

Francis Devrainne

MikeWithTheBike

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:09 »
Thanks again guys!

PS: try the cameras before you buy. For me the tactile and acoustic encounter is decisive

I agree!  I feel like wanting full frame just to have full frame is a little silly...  But I want my 135 to be 135!  I want my 85 to be 85!  I don't really care about my 40...  But you know what I mean!

Having had a chance too look around at used prices a little more, I think the Df and D500 are off the table for now.  I'd considered just getting a D700 and waiting... if I can find one cheap enough, I may still do that...  But they seem to be a big enough percentage of the price of a D750 that I think I've given up on that idea!

For now, I've settled on finding a good price on a used 810 and, eventually, adding a little XT30 or something for travel.  If I have a little travel mirrorless (maybe even a fixed?), I'd probably say the better build quality and flash sync would put the 810 > 750 for me.

Thanks again for all the advice!  If I find a great price on a Df/D500/D750, I may change my mind yet...  Feel free to change my mind with any more advice!

Michael

MikeWithTheBike

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 05:49:00 »
Well that did not post correctly...

I agree with what I ended up quoting, too, but I meant to highlight this!

What you have to decide first, is the format you want. you have already 3 DX bodies.
It's time now to go for a FX format, don't you think ? So, you can enjoy the genuine focal length of your prime lenses.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 09:01:32 »
I agree!  I feel like wanting full frame just to have full frame is a little silly...  But I want my 135 to be 135!  I want my 85 to be 85!  I don't really care about my 40...  But you know what I mean!
For now, I've settled on finding a good price on a used 810 ..., I'd probably say the better build quality and flash sync would put the 810 > 750 for me.
Michael

You cannot go wrong with a D810, wonderful camera for the current price, much better price performance IMO than the D750...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 09:41:21 »
That’s the case also for me  :D
I am currently switching from DX To FX most probably for the old als lenses I wand to use 20,28,55,105 and the wonderfull bokeh you can achieve using FX
For sure I will lose the reach for my 150-600 but you can’t have everything!
So I go for D750 from 7200 not a dig change except from the format

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 13:27:56 »
That’s the case also for me  :D
I am currently switching from DX To FX most probably for the old als lenses I wand to use 20,28,55,105 and the wonderfull bokeh you can achieve using FX
For sure I will lose the reach for my 150-600 but you can’t have everything!
So I go for D750 from 7200 not a dig change except from the format

The bokeh is a lens property, it does not change with the crop. Crop is just you take the middle part of the sensor.

Bokeh is a lens quality: how a lens renders the unsharp parts of a picture...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 21:59:09 »
The bokeh is a lens property, it does not change with the crop. Crop is just you take the middle part of the sensor.

Bokeh is a lens quality: how a lens renders the unsharp parts of a picture...
OK I refrase
...and the limited depth o field you achive in FX with the same lens due to the lower distance for the same field o view...
Any way I call it bokeh

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 22:34:12 »
DOF is a function of magnification. Same lens, same magnification, same DOF.

BOKEH is the rendering of the unsharp parts of the picture, caused by aperture form and glass elements and coatings.

DRAWING is the style of rendering of a lens as a whole, mostly caused by not engineering out "faults" .... even if a lens is next to perfect or APO as some call it this "analytical style" is a form of drawing. What the lens adds or does not add to the picture.

TRANSITIONS are the way the sharp and unsharp parts connect, hard transitions, soft transitions,  confusing rough or magic...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 23:15:42 »
the camera adds noise, changes the relations of colors and contrasts, has more or less resolution, gives you more or less leverage in post

I sum up the quality of a D3/600/750/850 as more "film like" and the quality of a D500 or D810 as more "clean" or "linear"

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 23:39:10 »
DOF is a function of magnification. Same lens, same magnification, same DOF.
Thank you Frank your definitions are all right but it’s not what am I talking about
Same lens, Different field of view, different distance to cover the same object, different DOF

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:48 »
Thank you Frank your definitions are all right but it’s not what am I talking about
Same lens, Different field of view, different distance to cover the same object, different DOF

theoretically my D850 with 85mm at f/2 and my D500 with 58mm at f/1.4 should be "equivalent" but they are not. Some of that is due to camera properties, some due to lens properties. I gave the definitions to make the distinction easier and not to raise false expectations.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 04:59:38 »
A smaller sensor always produces more DOF at the same focal length. You loose a stop, going DX, (Half Frame,) from FX. There is a longer dispersion distance of light from the lens' rear element to the corners of a 35mm sized sensor, thus the allowance of more pronounced Bokeh.

I also don't ever understand; "I need to capture wildlife at a distance, therefore I need a smaller sensor." Larger is always better as long as the lens is suited for the task.

That's why professional photographers years ago used 110 film cameras instead of 35mm for football and auto racing.
<humor>

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 18:14:31 »
A smaller sensor always produces more DOF at the same focal length.
Did you mean 'field of view' instead of 'focal length'?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MikeWithTheBike

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 00:35:08 »
Hi guys!

Just a quick update in case anyone else is reading this and contemplating the same things!

First off - don't ignore the D500!  I had originally written it off since I'd seen it selling used for $1600 at a number of places, but I've since seen it from a reputable shop and from a couple reputable sellers for $1000 used!

As for what I did...  Since I'm pretty sure I'll go the route of the 810, but they seem to be fluctuating in price quite a bit right now, too (maybe as people decide what post Z era DSLR's will be worth?), and I haven't landed on any sales at quite the right time, I picked up a D700 in good shape with extras like a RRS tripod attachment locally for half of what I've seen them going for...  I figured at that price, I'd try FF for a year and recoup that cost in the depreciation of whatever I go for.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Michael

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 16:51:05 »
First off - don't ignore the D500! 

Hi Michael, I didn't. Just got one last week to replace my pretty old D300.
I have had limited chances to use it but like what I see so far.
I shoot more wildlife and sport than wideangle, so was reluctant to go FX.

Being forced to move to Capture NX-D hasn't been so pleasant however (no desire for PS-CC), but I'm sure I'll eventually learn to love it.