Author Topic: Nikkor 20-60mm zoom on Z6?  (Read 2966 times)

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikkor 20-60mm zoom on Z6?
« on: March 08, 2019, 00:31:01 »
I'm going through my unused lenses and one of those is my absolute favourite from 15 years ago - the IX Nikkor 20-60mm. I used it on many cycle rides for some dramatic shots on my Nikon APS SLR. Sadly the film went away and I used other lenses on different cameras. So had me wondering. With a Nikon G to Z converter do the IX Nikkors cover the full frame? What is the image like?

The 20-60mm was made in Japan, and on APS film was a good performer. 20-60mm is an excellent walk around lens if it could work.

If nobody has tried I'll order the adaptor to try in the interests of science.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikkor 20-60mm zoom on Z6?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 00:47:06 »
It might work on the Z cameras, but don't expect full frame coverage.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:23:18 »
I tried it on the FTZ but the lens rear element protrudes way too far. I held it to a Pentax K converter but inconclusive as the flange distance is wrong. I have ordered the Nikon G adapter. It's probably the rose tinted spectacles of happy times of yore but I remember it being amazing performer along with the 30-60. Lets see!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:36 »
Perhaps you could reverse-mount it on the adapter to use it as a macro lens of variable magnification?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 17:24:17 »
Perhaps you could reverse-mount it on the adapter to use it as a macro lens of variable magnification?

Good idea. I'll certainly be trying that. Only its a G lens so wedging the aperture lever will be needed.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 17:31:50 »
Put a BR-4, BR-6, or E/E2 on the exposed rear end. Then you can manipulate the aperture lever. Or use a matchstick -- well-known accessory :D

Most third-party Nikon F(G) - Z adapter lack the stray light baffles that restrict some lenses from being mounted onto the FTZ. As they also are devoid of the electric contacts, the camera essentially is "blind" and sees your IX-Nikkor as just another alien acquaintance.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 09:32:17 »
Thanks Birna.

Yesteday I took my FTZ and looked where interference occurred. I used my dremel on the removed lens mount and removed the excess plasic parts. This did not affect the lene operation and so far I have successfully  done the 20-60 and 60-180. The 30-60 is a little more problematic but once I have worked out what to do I'll share photos of and taken with all three. I'd rather use the lenses than not, even with limitations.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 09:47:44 »
Together with Araldite (epoxy glue), a  Dremel is the ultimate problem-solving tool for photographers :D

I wonder whether the camera can read the lens data through the FTZ, once you got the lens mounted? If that be the case, one can control the lens through the camera's interface. No need for fiddling with the aperture directly.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 12:53:05 »
Yes, camera sees and reports the lens perfectly, just no screwdriver AF action of course.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 18:03:53 »
You probably can live with that? IX-Nikkors do have some means of manual focusing if memory serves.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 17:22:58 »
Apologies for the lack of input but I have been laid up with a nasty infection. Right, today I tried my modified IX Nikkor on the Z6. All functions work well apart from AF but the 200% magnification did a better job than the screwdriver AF did.

This lens on my Pronea was always softened by the 200 ISO Negative film I used. It performs MUCH better on the Z6. Summary is:

Vignettes at less than 23mm on FX
Sharp and contrasty

So if you can be bothered to modify the rear shroud it will work fine in the FTZ adaptor - but don't mount it on a DSLR as the mirror catches.

The photos are below. Did my best despite still feeling rotten!

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 17:26:27 »
And the rest

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 18:02:29 »
Seems a capable performer -- on a Z6/Z7 in DX mode it should not vignette -- is that correct?

The IX-Nikkors apparently are very cheap these days, but the opportunity to do manual focusing might be limited due to the very narrow focusing rings? The 20-60 appears to be better constructed in this respect.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 19:36:34 »
Seems a capable performer -- on a Z6/Z7 in DX mode it should not vignette -- is that correct?

The IX-Nikkors apparently are very cheap these days, but the opportunity to do manual focusing might be limited due to the very narrow focusing rings? The 20-60 appears to be better constructed in this respect.

Yes, the 20-60 is surprisingly good. It is better than the 24mm f2.8 Ai-s at 24mm. You are right. No vignette in DX crop, but I would say that a 18-xx mm DX lens would probably be more useful with AF plus VR in that instance.

20-60 is probably my ideal zoom range. Shame there are not more oprions in that range.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 13:01:47 »
Ian, the lens seems to be a pleasant surprise.  These images are amazing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira