Author Topic: Singapore M240 35mm Summarit  (Read 2781 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Singapore M240 35mm Summarit
« on: March 07, 2019, 13:24:03 »
I traded a whole lot of less used Nikon cameras and lenses for a used Leica M240. Also bought a used 35mm f2.5 Summarit.
It is a whole new way of photography and my usual techniques which had worked well for me with Df was not adequate with many blurry and confused shots. If anyone is contemplating a change, the learning curve is steep.

The M240 is 24mp and the sensor falls apart extracting details from underexposed areas. The Nikon sensors even from D700 are far more forgiving. When exposure is right, colours are vibrant - like shooting slide film. Strangely B+W conversion brings quite a bit of texture and nuance. The camera itself is small and exquisitely made, solid and hefty. They feel exclusive and hand crafted.

Leica lenses are magnificent. The Summarit 35mm is tiny, sharp with a real crispness in macro and micro contrast. For the cheap models in the Leica range, the Summarits are really very good. I haven't been able to justify getting hold of any faster lenses - the 50mm APO is really special but is A$11000. The 50mm Summilux is almost as APO with exquisite bokeh and is A$4500... in comparison, I got my AFS 58mm 1.4 for about A$1600 new.

I suspect in the end I will use Leica lenses not on the rangefinder but on a Z6/7 with good adaptor as the compromises with native Leica camera is significant.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Singapore M240 35mm Summarit
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 13:57:40 »
Some nice images that also clearly underline the challenges of shooting with Leica M.

I did the exact opposite I sold all of my Leica M glass and my Leica M9 and at the same time I did an upgrade from D810 to D850 then I did a Nikkor lens clean up to get some comparably sized Nikkor AF-D lenses - Extremely pleased about that choice now.

Naturally I also have some large AF-S Nikkor lenses for events and the big PC-Nikkor 19mm for architecture etc. and the MB-D18 Grip for that with the big battery pack when needed.

The AF system on the D850 is superb with these oldtimers quick and spot on.
Here they are: DC-Nikkor 105mm 2.0 AF-D, 50mm 1.4 AF-D MIJ, 24mm 2.8 AF-D and I had the 180mm 2.8 AF-D

Funny enough I just stumbled across this write up, he ended up with the same setup more or less:
https://fstoppers.com/originals/unleashing-creativity-nikkor-af-d-primes-194110

Portability and size is very comparable to Leica M - I just get so much more image quality on top from the sensor that it outweighs the Brilliant Leica M lenses.

The Leica M system was holding me back in several ways; High-ISO not possible, close focus 0.7 Meter, no zoom lenses, lack of performance in the cold, Good lenses very expensive or feels huge and heavy on that small Leica M camera body
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 14:38:09 »
Jjchan: Some wonderful shots, brilliantly composed, seductive colors, very tasteful finish. I guess using Leica M glass on a Z6 is sure more rewarding IQ wise and after a bit of practice much faster. The M line of lenses is so small that the whole package is totally unintrusive. People do not react to it like they do to me, when I get my D850 with a 1.4/105E out. The scene is disturbed, the photographer becomes a player, people change their behavior.

For the Leica 240: it focusses the classical way to match two mixed images in the finder. If you are used to it and have a lot of training: great, if not: ouch.  I am sure after a few thousands of exposures it will be totally natural to you, it will feel intuitive. I tried it in film days and did not like it.

Plus I do not like the ergonomics of the current M line cameras. Thick and slick like a polished brick I always fear it will slip.

I made a decision: Big camera, Big lenses, intrude or ,,, for special moments ,,, the X100T as small "unintrusive, unprofessional" stealth gear.

happy shooting!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 15:15:37 »
JJ, I really like images 2 (subject and composition) and 3 (colours and Comp.).  I also like the couple inside the shop  ;) .

I am still dithering about my gear.  The Sony a7iii is usable or just about everything I shoot but still do not like fiddling with settings and menu diving with Sony.  I sold most of my short and wide lenses for Nikon leaving those to the Sony's.   Adapters will be important on a Z6/7 with my current lens collection since I use many VM, ZM and Leica M on the Sony's.
It would be nice to use my Batis and Loxia lenses on a Nikon.  I can go either way with AF or MF.  I fancied a Leica in the late 60's because many of my war correspondent friends really knew how to use them and they really took a beating but a Nikkormat was all I could afford (and it took , and survived, a beating also).   The Z's seem much more sturdy than the a7xx bodies.  Shame about my 85 f1.4D, DC105 f2D and 180 f2.8D.  No spare change for the 105 1.4E.   MF is not a big problem but the lack of exif is a pain.  Probably makes the Df safe from sale.  D500 and long lenses are also safe.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 19:25:06 »
You have done well with your M240, JJ. The second shot is the type of classic-style documentary shot that Leicas are famously associated with.
As you have observed, the Leica M bodies have very limited capabilities compared to modern Nikons, Canons, Olympuses and the rest. The imagers in the M9 and M240, sadly, fell short in comparative low-light performance at the time they were introduced, let alone ten and six years later, respectively.
The current M10 model has narrowed or eliminated the gap in performance. I have witnessed many, many shots from a friend's Leica M10---both on the computer screen and inkjet printed---and the M10 imager is very good, IMO comparable with D750/D800 in terms of high ISO, shadow detail, etc.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 23:05:25 »
JJ, habving eyewitnessed how you work, I'm sure that you made a right decision.  :)

I also like the second image.  Nice to see your posts from time to time.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 00:47:27 »
Hi everyone and thanks for comments

Erik - ironically it was your post http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1833.msg24096.html#msg24096 that made me think more about getting into the Leica lenses.

Frank - the rangefinder actually works quite well and Kai Man Wong had a nice video showing how to watch the outside world coincide with the moving images in the finder whilst focusing that really makes the Leica work in street photography. I still need lots of practice. I have my DSLRs and after reading your posts on the ES2 am ordering one in for my D850.

Tom - I traded my Sony A7II and lenses as part of the deal for the Leica. I really never bonded with the whole electronics and it had poor usability for me. I also never invested in any exotic native glass for it - only the 28mm f2 and the spectacular but hard to use 90mm Macro. The Sony would barely last a day with all wifi IBIS horizon etc off and only viewfinder not big screen on. The Leica being old school had 75% charge left after 5 days in Singapore. I am interested in your Z experiences especially with battery life.

Keith - I really didn't need to hear that the M10 has a more modern sensor.... there's a lovely Safari M10P here at my local shop...

Akira - nice to hear from you - hope you are well. Josh recently got a used but perfect Martin D28 so no more shredding practice now thankfully

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:36:00 »
Akira - nice to hear from you - hope you are well. Josh recently got a used but perfect Martin D28 so no more shredding practice now thankfully

Great to hear that!  Say hello to Josh!  Hope he will enjoy his D-28 for a long time.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 07:14:45 »
Second shot is interesting - the biker looking down seems to put a "smiley-like" face, in fact it is his helmet.
Airy Magnien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:07 »
Hi everyone and thanks for comments

Erik - ironically it was your post http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1833.msg24096.html#msg24096 that made me think more about getting into the Leica lenses.

Frank - the rangefinder actually works quite well and Kai Man Wong had a nice video showing how to watch the outside world coincide with the moving images in the finder whilst focusing that really makes the Leica work in street photography. I still need lots of practice. I have my DSLRs and after reading your posts on the ES2 am ordering one in for my D850.

Tom - I traded my Sony A7II and lenses as part of the deal for the Leica. I really never bonded with the whole electronics and it had poor usability for me. I also never invested in any exotic native glass for it - only the 28mm f2 and the spectacular but hard to use 90mm Macro. The Sony would barely last a day with all wifi IBIS horizon etc off and only viewfinder not big screen on. The Leica being old school had 75% charge left after 5 days in Singapore. I am interested in your Z experiences especially with battery life.

Keith - I really didn't need to hear that the M10 has a more modern sensor.... there's a lovely Safari M10P here at my local shop...

That is ironic ;D  It's just that I gave up on continuing with two systems in parallel - The Leica M system is amazing in many ways so do enjoy it! and I'm looking forward to more images from you  ;)  Learning curve is steep but many things are similar to Nikon, menus and so on so not that difficult to get used too.

Many of the Voigtlander lenses are really first class optics and very affordable. Very similar to Ais lenses actually.
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:01 »

Off topic, cant help laughing over this last remark JJ ;D

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 23:50:26 »
Second shot is interesting - the biker looking down seems to put a "smiley-like" face, in fact it is his helmet.

That shot would have probably not worked if I had been using my Nikon
Because the lenses are so small, the depth of field is considerably greater than equivalent DSLR lenses at same aperture (exit pupil tiny with small lens). I set the lens so that infinity is at the upper limit of DOF gauge. I saw the creepy helmet and the girl on the phone whilst crossing the street and banged off the shot hoping all would be in focus. D850 would have been in AF-C and would have got the helmet but probably at f5.6 missed the girl.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 09:23:47 »
Because the lenses are so small, the depth of field is considerably greater than equivalent DSLR lenses at same aperture (exit pupil tiny with small lens)....

An unsubstantiated myth. Depth of field depends on aperture and magnification.