Author Topic: 4 green bottles standing on a wall  (Read 2602 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
4 green bottles standing on a wall
« on: July 24, 2015, 23:08:26 »
All comments welcome
Three bottles by elsa hoffmann, on Flickr
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 4 green bottles standing on a wall
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:39:12 »
One day you are going to have to teach me how you did this!

But not today.

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:55:07 »
Four handsome unmarked wine bottles color matched in perfect symmetry.
Beautiful and uncanny.
/Eric

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:19:52 »
Very nice. Second level is to shoot them with label.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:10:35 »
Great shot, are they going to be opened ?
L. S. Bendle

stenrasmussen

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:45:09 »
Tis as if I want to know what it is I cannot see in this image.
Very well executed Elsa.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:30 »
Elso, you are known for first class nude pictures, so i am not surprised that you show mole and wrinkle free nude wine bottles
estetically it is a clinical proper image, where i would prefer a tonal background - it would imo  "increase the value"
but: is this an intelligence test for us? you write 4 green bottles - it is only one and in the title you write 3 bottles, so what shall we find out :-)
Thomas Stellwag

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 13:11:56 »
Thanks guys for the comments.

Firstly - doing bottles is probably the most difficult for me to do - because my standards for producing bottles is unrealistically high.
And I simply cant hack it to that standard. No matter how I try - I just dont get it.

I have seen images of bottles that I though was absolutely the right way to do if you wanted to produce outstanding wine bottles in adverts/brochures for top rated wine farms. SO that remained my frame of reference.

Since I couldnt wax it properly in camera - I started investigating how it was done and this is what I came up with.

Photoshop.

You literally shoot and re-build the whole bottle in Photoshop.

While I regard this not as photography - its digital art in my opinion - it is how I want the bottles to look.

I am totally sure that others may not like this so I did it for me - and me alone. And for stock :)

Every imperfection is edited out. Bottle sides duplicated to ensure perfect symmetry.
curved reflection added in PS
light reflection smoothed  out with gausian blur
colour of bottle done in PS
the bottle top is also fixed in PS - and one side duplicated over to make sure once again its perfect symmetry (because despite what people may think - its NOT "right" )
once done - image is duplicated and layers blended - this intensifies the colour, makes the image appear sharp and also thins the reflection - but even without this extra duplication and blending it is a good image.

The first bottle was completely finished off, it is saved and a duplicate is used to change colour - in Hue and Saturation. several times till I get every colour I want for every bottle.

So we see this exercise takes a lot of time in PS - and only covers one shape of bottle. There are several shapes in wine bottles - but I recon if you build a library of images in every shape, you can do colour when and if needed for your client.

The bottle I photographed was red wine.

The white wine bottle still has my stumped. It's not easy to build a see though glass bottle! 

I have sold several of these images so it must work for some people. In my own mind I know I want it to look like this - but at the same time realise its not really photography at all.

"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 15:13:58 »
As it started with a photograph it clearly is photography. However, massaged to the extent that the visual impression is flat, lifeless, and dull. Perhaps a CAD program could make something equally devoid of sparkle.

In reality, there are always imperfections and flaws. I think it is important to carry these over into the final outcome for it to be realistic.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 15:32:43 »
yup - you are spot on - and thanks for the comment. I needed to hear that.
I have a long way to go - I keep evolving :)

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 19:48:27 »
Thank you for the explanation. I think I may have understood the first paragraph.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 20:13:02 »
Thank you for the explanation. I think I may have understood the first paragraph.