Author Topic: The Quest for the Elusive Purple Gallinule  (Read 1462 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
The Quest for the Elusive Purple Gallinule
« on: February 23, 2019, 22:29:50 »
I made a trip today to photograph Purple Gallinules. They range throughout the Southeastern United States (primarily Florida) down into Central and South America. They are in the rail family and, with their huge feet, appear to be adapted to walking on aquatic vegitation. Their colors are striking and I hope my photographs do them justice.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: The Quest for the Elusive Purple Gallinule
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 22:53:29 »
They do :)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 23:32:43 »
I'm not an ornithologist by any stretch, however I believe the last/third image is that of the Common Gallinule. In any case, nice photos! And very informative in illustrating the fact that aquatic birds (marine or wetlands) don't necessarily have to have webbed feet to be erstwhile "swimmers". Something I had forgotten or, likely, never knew in the first place. Now, if they also dived... ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 23:51:12 »
The first image looks the most illuminative and descriptive of your explanation of this unique bird: the shape of its entire body and the huge foot are clearly seen.  Thank you for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 23:57:16 »
I'm not an ornithologist by any stretch, however I believe the last/third image is that of the Common Gallinule. In any case, nice photos! And very informative in illustrating the fact that aquatic birds (marine or wetlands) don't necessarily have to have webbed feet to be erstwhile "swimmers". Something I had forgotten or, likely, never knew in the first place. Now, if they also dived... ::)

Well, I’m obviously no ornithologist either, I thought it was the female bird!

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 00:16:31 »
Well, I’m obviously no ornithologist either, I thought it was the female bird!
May very well be, a female bird. But near as I can ascertain, not a Purple Gallinule. Rather, a Common Gallinule. [re: Cornell Lab of Ornithology]

Incidently: I'm also not a grammatician however I deferred to the traditional "dived" in my initial post less I default to my native argot and use "dove" -- which doesn't float -- and seriously obfuscate the situation. :o Peace! ;D

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 22:05:06 »
The first image looks the most illuminative and descriptive of your explanation of this unique bird: the shape of its entire body and the huge foot are clearly seen.  Thank you for sharing!

You are quite welcome. The next time you are in Central Florida, please reserve a day for nature photography and I will take you to some interesting spots.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 00:02:36 »
You are quite welcome. The next time you are in Central Florida, please reserve a day for naturel photography and I will take you to some interesting spots.

Thank you for your kind offer.  That sounds like a must!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 19:03:01 »
A very striking bird.

I am often amazed by how there are very similar species on different continents. Here is his African cousin:

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:51:20 »
Yes Peter, you are right.

Your image is very similar to the New Zealand Pukeko and the Australian swamp hen.

A very striking bird.

I am often amazed by how there are very similar species on different continents. Here is his African cousin:
Hugh Gunn

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 18:09:29 »
Thanks Hugh!