Author Topic: Show us your Mirror Lens shots!  (Read 17157 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Show us your Mirror Lens shots!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 23:52:28 »
Sometimes a long lens such as the 1000mm f/11 Reflex-Nikkor can pull out amazing contrasts and details from a landscape scenery.

(background is the Trollheimen mountain range with first snow)

Beautiful scenery.  Love it!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 00:15:51 »
The photo Birna posted with the 1000 is similar to what I hoped to try with my 1000 Nikkor. I really wanted to isolate landscape details. However in the UK I just never got the clear air needed. Looking though the viewfinder everything was moving and shimmering. I could see the lens had wonderful potential but I was unable to extract it. I have a Nikkor 500mm on the repair bench so I am inspired to get those repairs done and try that.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 01:10:15 »
Wonderful examples Birna!

+++

Here some with the Canon CL f4/250mm shot today:

formerly known as kds315

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 05:52:30 »
Klaus, I'm really impressed by the color rendition you obtained with your mirror lenses.

Birna, that's a very effective shot.  The snow really does look like sky at first glance. 

If you were going to buy one today, which one would you choose, and why would you do so?

Despite owning several Reflex-Nikkors, I've generally avoided using them due to the unusual bokeh they display in most situations.  They're also very vulnerable to wind vibration, or really any vibration, due to their extremely light weight in relation to their narrow angle of view.  I'm going to try the 1000mm on the moon sometime, though.  I also think Birna has convinced me to take it on my next trip to the desert for when I travel through large landscapes. 

Here are a couple of shots with the 1000mm f/11 AI that illustrate the bokeh when using the lens relatively close up.  I was able to minimize wind vibration from intermittent gentle breezes with careful timing; I could see the image in magnified live view oscillate from just a mild breeze.  Technique included mirror up, remote, electronic first curtain, and not touching the lens or camera less than a few seconds before the shot. These photos were taken near the close focus limit of 8 meters, so depth of field is small (5cm or 2") despite the small aperture.  The camera was a D810 at ISO 6400 due to poor light.  Both photos are cropped and downsized. 

_DSC2438 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

_DSC2433 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

By the way, I recently checked and the 50cm f/5 and the early 1000mm f/11 "F" version, despite being pre-AI, will mount safely on AI cameras due to adequate clearance for the aperture tab.  The lens barrel does not extend as far towards the mount as it usually does on pre-AI lenses.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 13:10:34 »
Another capture with the "Enigma" mirror lens.

Snowdrops

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 13:35:31 »
The 1000mm f/11 Reflex-Nikkor is dark, but sharp. That is, if one can stabilise the (relatively speaking) lightweight lens ...

I have the first version with a large filter wheel protruding to the side and this allows easy removal or replacement of the factory built-in filters. I opted for the removal of one filter so the lens can be used for UV, and replaced another with R72 to make the lens IR-capable.

This is a test shot of a dandelion mop Taraxacum sp. and the familiar UV pattern is clearly present. Taken with the Nikon D3200 (Baader U filter inside).

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 13:37:23 »
Great examples here.

A boring Mirror shot perhaps:

Posted earlier in Januari 2019

Df and Nikkor 500/8 First version

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 14:01:27 »
The 1000mm f/11 also can do clocks :D

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 14:21:43 »
A temporary ownership of a Canon Mirror lens 500mm f/8 led to this result (on a D5300). I gave the lens away to a friend who had better use for it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 14:42:56 »
If you were going to buy one today, which one would you choose, and why would you do so?

Probably the 500/8 N reflex Nikkor (I also own the 500/8 Tamron and 500/6.3 Samyang).
The 500/8 N has slightly more contrast, and the obstruction factor by the central mirror is somewhat smaller, so the ring bokeh is less "edgy". Also, mechanical vignetting at the frame edges is less (the onion rings remain onion rings, not clipped to "C"s).

The Tamron is not bad at all : smaller, less expensive, and has a big shade (as long as the "lens" itself).

The Samyang is mechahically less well made, and seems less sharp. I saw some good pictures by sb else on the former avatar of Nikongear (I do not remember whom), so I may have picked a lemon.
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 15:15:07 »
Probably the 500/8 N reflex Nikkor (I also own the 500/8 Tamron and 500/6.3 Samyang).
The 500/8 N has slightly more contrast, and the obstruction factor by the central mirror is somewhat smaller, so the ring bokeh is less "edgy". Also, mechanical vignetting at the frame edges is less (the onion rings remain onion rings, not clipped to "C"s).

The Tamron is not bad at all : smaller, less expensive, and has a big shade (as long as the "lens" itself).

The Samyang is mechahically less well made, and seems less sharp. I saw some good pictures by sb else on the former avatar of Nikongear (I do not remember whom), so I may have picked a lemon.
I think also important with the Nikkor 500/8 N Reflex: It's close focus  distance is now 1.5 meter instead of the 4 meter with the previous versions.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 15:24:47 »
The Russian B.I.G. 500 mm f/5.6 does produce quite crisp images however it is susceptible to knocks and bumps bringing it out of optical alignment. Despite the sturdy build one has to treat the lens with some extra care.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 15:58:24 »
The 1000mm f/11 also can do clocks :D
Even two times closer :D

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 16:01:55 »
Provided the air is clear, the 1000mm f/11 Reflex-Nikkor can do distance shots quite well despite the unavoidable lower contrast.

This test target is situated 1.6km away. Not bad on the DX camera.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 16:16:21 »
Impressive results with the 1000mm

The buds of the (white) magnolia

Df  with the Nikkor Reflex 500/8 N (latest version)