Author Topic: [Theme] Your DIY projects  (Read 8514 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: [Theme] Your DIY projects
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 11:05:45 »
Kudos Buddy - I love your choice of wood for the handle and the dice and the grain that you have brought out here.  Wonderful.
Hugh Gunn

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 23:59:01 »
Thank you Hugh, and only now do I see that I posted the wrong link for the 2nd image.

That should have been this one

DSC_3828 by b j, on Flickr

Yes, the choice of wood and other materials makes or breaks a knife handle. In my philosophy, the knife handle deserves at least as much consideration as the knife blade.
Buddy

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 03:17:27 »
For example, I’m sure there might be a few takers for Akira’s close-up lights.

Colin, the LED lighting rig requires no advanced electronics.  The only "electronic" parts used are the LED and the resistors to adjust the current appropiate for the LEDs.  It's really simple.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 03:22:32 »
Yes, the choice of wood and other materials makes or breaks a knife handle. In my philosophy, the knife handle deserves at least as much consideration as the knife blade.

Your taste for the choice of woods is proved here, Buddy.  Which wood material did you use for the first knife and the dices?  Bubinga?

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 08:55:28 »
That is Honduras Palisander burl. Actually, the finest piece of Palisander burl I have ever seen. I had to order that piece, at any price. The grain and color of the raw piece of wood was so exceptional, that I just knew it would turn into a work of art regardless of how bad I messed up the shaping process.

And then I got lucky and found a piece of buffalo horn that, when used the wrong way around, against the "grain" of the horn, would give the lovely pommel that can be seen on this knife.
Buddy

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 12:03:12 »
Thank you for the detailes of the wood material.  Hounduras Palisander (Dalbergia stevensonii, also known as Honduras Rosewood) is a well regarded material also for the sides and backs of an acoustic guitar (not the burl, of course).  The burl looks beautiful!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 15:25:11 »
Very nice diy projects i see here: petals, electronics (my favorite diy 80s, 90s) woods  :D
Akira this   Hounduras Palisander seems to me also Bumbiga that is one of my favorite woods!
My Diy  projects for the last 5-10 years is Guitar-bass making and  really love to do in my free time, all photos Nikon

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 15:41:42 »
Nasos that's great project.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 17:09:04 »
Very nice diy projects i see here: petals, electronics (my favorite diy 80s, 90s) woods  :D
Akira this   Hounduras Palisander seems to me also Bumbiga that is one of my favorite woods!
My Diy  projects for the last 5-10 years is Guitar-bass making and  really love to do in my free time, all photos Nikon

Beautiful work Nasos! Though I like to work with wood, I’ve never made a guitar, but I like playing them. Here is an old arch top of mine from the 1940’s in a similar style to your work. Akira pointed out to me that many of the professional musicians he has met are good photographers. I have much work to do on both areas.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 03:42:16 »
Ah, thanks Buddy & Akira for fleshing out the botannical details.  I figured that it was a Rosewood of some kind, but did not realise how exotic it was.

Thank you for the detailes of the wood material.  Hounduras Palisander (Dalbergia stevensonii, also known as Honduras Rosewood) is a well regarded material also for the sides and backs of an acoustic guitar (not the burl, of course).  The burl looks beautiful!
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 05:35:14 »

Nasos, your bar is very high!  Amazing job!  I like hand works in general, and have interviewed varuous luthiers, but never really have tried to make one myself.

Beautiful work Nasos! Though I like to work with wood, I’ve never made a guitar, but I like playing them. Here is an old arch top of mine from the 1940’s in a similar style to your work. Akira pointed out to me that many of the professional musicians he has met are good photographers. I have much work to do on both areas.

Jack, your archtop looks neat.  Love the unique design of the inlays.  Which brand is it of?

Ah, thanks Buddy & Akira for fleshing out the botannical details.  I figured that it was a Rosewood of some kind, but did not realise how exotic it was.

Hugh, as you know, there are a bunch of Rosewood species used for the guitar making.  I have made my own list of the wood species for the instrument making.  It keeps expanding.   :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 06:55:09 »
Jack, your archtop looks neat.  Love the unique design of the inlays.  Which brand is it of?

It is a Kay. They are mostly known for making lower priced guitars and some department store brands. But this is an unusual model for them to try and rival guitars like the Gibson L5. The top is hand-carved spruce (Same method as Nasos shows) and the back and sides are flamed maple. The model number is k62 and it is referred to as the “Television” model. They were made from 1937-1939 so it is at least 80 years old.

Rosewood always makes a nice sound too. I have a small Brazilian rosewood classical guitar from a Japanese luthier, Kuniharu Nobu, which celebrates its 50th birthday this year, and an East Indian rosewood Martin that is about 10. There are a few more guitars in the closet which I rarely get around to playing but which have some sentimental attachment so are hard to get rid of.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 08:22:31 »
It is a Kay. They are mostly known for making lower priced guitars and some department store brands. But this is an unusual model for them to try and rival guitars like the Gibson L5. The top is hand-carved spruce (Same method as Nasos shows) and the back and sides are flamed maple. The model number is k62 and it is referred to as the “Television” model. They were made from 1937-1939 so it is at least 80 years old.

Rosewood always makes a nice sound too. I have a small Brazilian rosewood classical guitar from a Japanese luthier, Kuniharu Nobu, which celebrates its 50th birthday this year, and an East Indian rosewood Martin that is about 10. There are a few more guitars in the closet which I rarely get around to playing but which have some sentimental attachment so are hard to get rid of.

Thank you for the details.  As you say, the "Kay" brand is more familiar as affordable semi-acoustic electric basses to me.  I didn't know that it used to make such luxury models.

As for the acoutsic guitar, Brazilian rosewood was the most common material for the sides and backs until 1968, and if you say "rosewood", it meant Brazilian.  Since the Brazilian government had limited the export of Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), it has become exotic and rare.  Martin replaced the Brazilian with the East Indian for their rosewood models in 1968.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 20:00:10 »
Thank you for the details.  As you say, the "Kay" brand is more familiar as affordable semi-acoustic electric basses to me.  I didn't know that it used to make such luxury models.

The guitar doesn’t say Kay anywhere on it - as if they wanted to distance themselves from their standard models.
To bring this back to cameras, Leica, Zeiss, and even Nikon have done the opposite and put their premium brand name on mass market outsourced products.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 23:33:41 »
The guitar doesn’t say Kay anywhere on it - as if they wanted to distance themselves from their standard models.
To bring this back to cameras, Leica, Zeiss, and even Nikon have done the opposite and put their premium brand name on mass market outsourced products.

The pride as an accomplished luthier might have made him to do so.