Author Topic: [Theme] Your DIY projects  (Read 8515 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
[Theme] Your DIY projects
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:07:18 »
I love DIY projects. I do not have time for doing that stuffs quite often, though. I would love to see your projects captured in photos. They can but do not need to be related with photography. Below were my attempts with pyrography.

Cheers,
Zang

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Your DIY projects
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:46:42 »
Beautiful work, Zang!  What did you use to draw these?  A soldering iron?

Here are my takes.  The first one is an overdrive pedal.  I wrapped the circuit board with a sheet of foam polyethylene to avoid shortage, before the bottom cover is fixed.

The second one is essentially an active 12dB/Oct low-pass filter to make any electric bass sound like a Reggae bass.

(BY the way, you may want to add "[Themer]" in front of the thread title to make it clear that it is an open thread under this particular theme.)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:45:36 »
That is some beautiful work, Zang. Fun with DIY projects Akira!

Here is my first project with the open source electronic CAD program KiCad: a signal generator based around a dsPIC microcontroller. As it was a learning project I set up for myself both on the firmware and hardware side, I just designed the board around the existing components I already had on a breadboard, thus I used mostly though hole components instead of surface mount components as in all later projects. In addtion to standard waveforms, it is also able output ECG, EMG and EEG slow wave sleep signals.

For comparison here is the 3D rendering exported as STEP file from KiCad into open source FreeCad. Through hole components are a lot more fun to render in 3D than surface mount ones.

Another 3D rendering without the box. The microcontroller is barely visible on the bottom of the board:

Øivind Tøien

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 15:39:44 »
Beautiful work, Zang!  What did you use to draw these?  A soldering iron?

Here are my takes.  The first one is an overdrive pedal.  I wrapped the circuit board with a sheet of foam polyethylene to avoid shortage, before the bottom cover is fixed.

The second one is essentially an active 12dB/Oct low-pass filter to make any electric bass sound like a Reggae bass.

(BY the way, you may want to add "[Themer]" in front of the thread title to make it clear that it is an open thread under this particular theme.)

Thanks Akira. I used an iron called pyrography pen :) Here was me in action and a couple of other work.

Ps. Title updated. Thanks for the hint.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 15:43:30 »
That is some beautiful work, Zang. Fun with DUY projects Akira!

Awesome work Akira and Øivind! I love electronics, but I did not have a chance to continue this profession! Now, if I decide to play around with soldering, I know who to ask for advice :)

Cheers,
Zang

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: [Theme] Your DIY projects
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 16:24:32 »
Zhang, your drawing skills are awesome  :)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 17:22:19 »

Thank you Bent! Prior to these (wood burning) works I had some pencil drawing back in 1992. Before that I was drawing in late 70s, early 80s when I was 10yo. No drawing in-between :) Each time when I draw something, I realize how fast time flies LOL

Cheers,
Zang

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 20:28:04 »
Very Nice Guy's  8)

Just rebuilt a Radio Flyer Wagon for my Granddaughter's First Birthday. Same wagon my kids played with when they were little.
These are all cell phone photos.
Ken Smith

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 20:29:56 »
Now back together.
Ken Smith

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 21:27:58 »
I love these man and I regret I could never make anything like that for my kids. Partly because we spent a long period living in a condo...

Cheers,
Zang

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 00:11:57 »
That wagon is look'in good!  :)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:22 »
Thank you Zang and Øivind!

Øivind, your thorough gadged design is amazing!

As expected, the thread is increasingly become nerdy, which I love!!!   ;D

I totally agree!

Neat job, Brute!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 05:17:35 »
A flexible lighting system for closeups using four high brightness LEDs.

It is powered by four AA Ni-MH batteries with external power out puts.  Two power switches enable each paires of LEDs to be switched on/off indipendently.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 21:31:29 »
Excellent work guys (and I’m sure we’ve barely scratched the surface). Next up might be a new section on NG where we can place requests to people with some of the varied skills shown here.

For example, I’m sure there might be a few takers for Akira’s close-up lights.

And if we can suss out a 3D printer, even the kids toys and custom guitar art might be a possibility  ;)

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:47 »
I like this theme. DIY is pretty much a philosophy I live by.

This was a DIY project

DSC_5606 by b j, on Flickr

With this being my first attempt to make a modern interpretation of traditional scandinavian hunting knives

DSC_5606 by b j, on Flickr

The nice thing about taking up the challenge of starting a DIY project in a direction you are unfamiliar with, is that in the process you can learn a lot about history and culture, because, when you dig back deep enough, the history of every craft will start with someone who thought: "I'll do this myself".

My road to making knife handles started with writing rules for a boardgame, which prompted me to make my own dice, which had me look into pip designs, and through there, into scandinavian dice games, scandinavian medieval culture and finally, the tradition of making scandinavian hunting knives.

My next DIY projects will stray a bit from this origin, but more on that topic when my current attempts to bring the efforts of a young and upstarting american knife smith, a tradition rich german bronze caster and the inhabitants of the last ice age together in a new knife design
Buddy