Author Topic: Close-Ups with Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E  (Read 1120 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Close-Ups with Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:34:18 »
I'm still testing this lens and playing around with it.  In particular I forgot to fine-tune the autofocus, and I need to retest for sharpness across the frame which I'm not sure about yet.  Still, here are a few preliminary shots taken fairly close up with deliberately shallow depth of field.  These show the character of the out-of-focus areas and the transition from areas in focus to areas out of focus. 

All have been cropped to a smaller or larger degree.  All photos were taken using matrix metering; I should have used spot metering for the flowers.  In post processing, the flower shots had to be underexposed by a stop with strong highlight reduction to deal with severe clipping in the red channel.  The camera was a D810.  All photos were taken handheld.

This first one is at f/5.6.

_DSC2236 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

The next one is at f/2.8.

_DSC2242 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

California poppy flower (Eschscholzia californica).  Taken at f/4.

_DSC2270 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

California poppy flowers in the process of opening.  Taken at f/2.8.

_DSC2318 by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Close-Ups with Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:55:29 »
Very nice Bill.  The older lens had big Focus Breathing at Min. Focus distance.  I tried the E on the Z7 and was very impressed but shortage of funds means I will probably wait and see what the S brings to the table,  Too many new, good lenses and not enough cash  :( .
Thanks for posting
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: Close-Ups with Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:49:14 »
Thanks, Tommie.  I had this lens on my wish list and when it went on sale late last year I couldn't resist.  Overall I seem to be getting nice results from it.