Author Topic: The Z6 gives me more freedom....  (Read 4183 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Z6 gives me more freedom....
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 05:28:59 »
That will be with Birna's custom CPU.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:08 »
OK, so I likely had either the native 50mm or the two other F mount lenses that I kept swapping, AFS 12-24mm and the AFS 300mm f/4 PF. The latter handled very well by the way. The 12-24mm felt a little long physically compared to on F mount bodies, confirmed in that the configuration would not fit into the same bag space. What caught my attention was that the dot was white, not green.   :)

On second thought, may be the appearance of the white dot depends on the lens being in some kind of internal database of the firmware? So custom chipped lenses not in the database would not be listed. If that hypothesis is correct, Nikon's AIP lenses like the 500mm f/4  P might have the white dot.
Øivind Tøien

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 14:38:58 »
What fun to setup "flying" umbrellas!

Was this for some special festival or celebration?
Just the decoration of this small street.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:21:23 »
Maybe someone could try a Z6/7 and FTZ with a Nikon 45mm f/2.8P lens, as these are much more commonplace than the 500mm f/4.0P?

That said, I recall from somewhere that the programming of the Rørslett custom CPUs was similar to those in the 45mm f/2.8P, so maybe the lenses with Nikon's own CPUs will behave like the lenses with the custom CPUs?

Hopefully Nikon will address this issue with a future firmware update, as there are CV and Zeiss manual focus lenses out there that are likewise chipped with their own metering CPUs.

..........................................................................................

On second thought, may be the appearance of the white dot depends on the lens being in some kind of internal database of the firmware? So custom chipped lenses not in the database would not be listed. If that hypothesis is correct, Nikon's AIP lenses like the 500mm f/4  P might have the white dot.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 13:19:35 »
So I might not have confused it after all. Perhaps Birna would confirm the white dot presence with a chipped manual focus lens?

Been down with a bad bronchitis for the some days, so just now recovered sufficiently to investigate.

Turns out the lens needs not only be CPU-equipped, but one of those made by Nikon as well, in order to elicit the green rectangle when focus is achieved and to light the white dot (in its usual lower left position in the finder, but now white instead of green ?? ). Thus the Voigtländer SL.2 lenses will not give either green rectangle or the white dot whilst the 45/2.8 Nikkor AIP will. All of them are manual lenses.

Apparently there is a test on the transmitted CPU data to ascertain whether or not the lens is in the official line-up. Why Nikon would do that is beyond my imagination. Maybe one needs to fake more info before Nikon will accept.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 14:12:14 »

Thanks for confirming, that pretty much confirms my hypothesis above.
Øivind Tøien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 15:15:59 »
Sorry to hear about the  bronchitis - I am a fellow sufferer and unfortunately I have a very good idea of what you are going through.  I hope that it clears up for you soon.

Thanks for doing the tests - I am gob smacked that Nikon would be so hard edged in respect of the white/"green" dot and CPU lenses from other manufacturers.  Let us hope that they will make the firmware changes needed to make the dot work with such lenses.  It seems crazy given that other functions such as metering do work for such lenses.

Been down with a bad bronchitis for the some days, so just now recovered sufficiently to investigate.

Turns out the lens needs not only be CPU-equipped, but one of those made by Nikon as well, in order to elicit the green rectangle when focus is achieved and to light the white dot (in its usual lower left position in the finder, but now white instead of green ?? ). Thus the Voigtländer SL.2 lenses will not give either green rectangle or the white dot whilst the 45/2.8 Nikkor AIP will. All of them are manual lenses.

Apparently there is a test on the transmitted CPU data to ascertain whether or not the lens is in the official line-up. Why Nikon would do that is beyond my imagination. Maybe one needs to fake more info before Nikon will accept.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 16:08:48 »

I'm pretty sure that Nikon is trying to sell the new Z and the current AF-S/P lenses, which should be inevitable for any companies hunting for profit.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 16:15:53 »
Alienating existing customers is hazardous practice in the longer run.