Author Topic: Z6 manual focus aid  (Read 9595 times)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Z6 manual focus aid
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:51:34 »
Hi,
I’ve just got my Z6 here in the USA and it happens that he only lens I have with me is a Zeiss 25mm f2.8 zf2 MANUAL FOCUS.
The green dot I’m used to does not appear.
The only focusing aid I found so far is the peaking highlights. For my kind of photography, street and landscape, I think it sucks.
I’ll try it more tomorrow.
Does anybody know a way to make that green dot appear for the manual focus lenses?
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z6 manual focus aid
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:13:14 »
Hi,
I’ve just got my Z6 here in the USA and it happens that he only lens I have with me is a Zeiss 25mm f2.8 zf2 MANUAL FOCUS.
The green dot I’m used to does not appear.
The only focusing aid I found so far is the peaking highlights. For my kind of photography, street and landscape, I think it sucks.
I’ll try it more tomorrow.
Does anybody know a way to make that green dot appear for the manual focus lenses?

Working with mirrorless is different.

Peaking gives a fast indication of general focus.
Work with the sensitivity to figure out what is right for your work.

Zooming in the viewfinder is what I use most of the time to get fine focus.
Assign zoom (I use 50% and 200%) the the F1 and F2 buttons and then use them to toggle in and out of zoom mode.
Note that it zooms to the selected focus area, so sometimes it is easiest just to leave that in the center and focus and recompose rather than shifting the focus area all over.

It took me a while to get used to the new way of working, but I would hate to give up viewfinder zoom.

Here is a sample using the 55mm O nikkor at f/1.2. Super easy to focus on that fine center bit. Compose first, then check focus and when OK, hit the shutter release.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:42:40 »
Thank you for the hint Jack.
I'll try it tomorrow, but the green dot is so practical.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:58:33 »
The viewfinder zoom is an expanded and enhanced 'green dot' feature.

I recommend that you set the 'push in' of the paddle and OK buttons to give a centred focus point. That way you'll never be lost in the maze of all those focus points. Using the front F1/F2 buttons to zoom in and quickly leave the zoomed view is a necessity in my view.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 15:58:22 »
The viewfinder zoom is an expanded and enhanced 'green dot' feature.

I recommend that you set the 'push in' of the paddle and OK buttons to give a centred focus point. That way you'll never be lost in the maze of all those focus points. Using the front F1/F2 buttons to zoom in and quickly leave the zoomed view is a necessity in my view.

Maybe it's more precise but to press a button twice every time you need to confirm focus instead of just looking at the green dot seems a pain for me. Imagine it in a dynamic situation like street photography.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 16:45:52 »
For me the green Dot was problematic because I needed to look down there and with peaking I'm looking at what I want in focus.  The green Dot also indicated where the focus point is in focus.  Peaking shows what is in focus, period.

It is different and I didn't like it at first either, but I've you get used to it, I much prefer it over the green Dot method
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 16:54:54 »
You could set the camera to show focus peaking then.

Maybe it's more precise but to press a button twice every time you need to confirm focus instead of just looking at the green dot seems a pain for me. Imagine it in a dynamic situation like street photography.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 17:15:19 »
For me the green Dot was problematic because I needed to look down there and with peaking I'm looking at what I want in focus.  The green Dot also indicated where the focus point is in focus.  Peaking shows what is in focus, period.

It is different and I didn't like it at first either, but I've you get used to it, I much prefer it over the green Dot method

“I didn’t like it at first...”  This seems to be very common. I felt the same way. I still think it is annoying in some situations (where subject has high detail and contrast it can confuse that for real focus depending on sensitivity you have set), but it is really helpful when focusing using rear screen or when working very quickly.

As Birna says, using the F buttons is fast and essential as is using the OK or joystick press to tame the focus point. With those things set right I am getting more manual focus shots correct than I did on my Df. It takes some practice to build the motions to the point you don’t have to think. Once you hit that point, the opinion about the camera will change.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 17:23:59 »
Apparently the focus dot is only available with AF lenses.

In picture mode the red-dotted video record button is unused, and e.g. can be programmed for zoom on-off with choice of three magnification levels (50, 100 or 200%).
It should be noted that programming the video button for picture mode does leave its (record-) function in video mode unaltered.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 17:45:24 »
My vulgar, unconsidered, smart alec thought is that you appear to need a green spot . . . and a Df. Don't sell the Z6. Yet. Just buy a camera designed to use manual focus, not simply accommodate it. Of course, the Df has its downside. . it was not deigned as an auto focus camera, it simply accommodates it. Both cameras are compromises, obviously.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 20:30:05 »
Just buy a camera designed to use manual focus, not simply accommodate it. Of course, the Df has its downside. . it was not deigned as an auto focus camera, it simply accommodates it. Both cameras are compromises, obviously.

One cannot say that Z is a compromise for manual focus lenses.
I contend that it is the best ever.
I base this on the following:
Short flange distance allows mounting of the largest number of MF lenses of any Nikon ever.
Zoomable electronic viewfinder gives ability to find precise focus even in difficult lighting conditions.
Focus peaking gives fast indication of overall focus at a glance.

The only negative so far is that the FTZ adapter does not have an aperture follower so it does not record aperture on non-chipped lenses.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 00:22:32 »

Zoomable electronic viewfinder gives ability to find precise focus even in difficult lighting conditions.
Focus peaking gives fast indication of overall focus at a glance.

The only negative so far is that the FTZ adapter does not have an aperture follower so it does not record aperture on non-chipped lenses.
The flip-in magnifier or zoom finder is/was technically possible for OVFs, but not without unacceptable cost in size and mechanical complexity.
The focus zoom feature of mirrorless gives absolutely correct focus (minus lens focus-shift errors, if any) and is impossible to knock out of calibration.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 00:33:26 »
The flip-in magnifier or zoom finder is/was technically possible for OVFs, but not without unacceptable cost in size and mechanical complexity.

This is true. Though it was a common feature on TLRs. And many LF photographers carried a loupe.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 00:42:57 »
Aguinaldo,
  I have been using manual focus more than ever since I´ve got the Z6. I´m not skilled at all with the ovf. The peaking and specially the evf magnification works wonders and gives very precise focus once you get the hang of it, and it is not difficult.

Programing F1 and F2 are good options. Record button works too and you can assign different magnification to each one. I have 100% in F1 and 200% in the record when not in movie. That´s what works best for me so far.
   Enjoy the new toy!

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:50 »
atpaula asked: Does anybody know a way to make that green dot appear for the manual focus lenses?

You have all given him potentially helpful, intelligent advice/alternatives to working without the green dot, but you haven't answered his question- and nor have I; obviously, he presently has cameras that do have green dots, but he wants to know a way to make the green dot appear for manual focus lenses with his new camera.  I cannot  help him as I do not have a Z6.