Author Topic: Looking for US workshop suggestions  (Read 5454 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Looking for US workshop suggestions
« on: January 25, 2019, 00:37:22 »
Hello,

I am looking for US based workshops, probably street photography but I am open. I was originally going to one in NYC but it got cancelled. I live in DC.

I want to up my game this year, just be around other photographers, get some coaching, have some fun!

Thanks,
Rob.

If this belongs in a different forum section, please move, it did not fit anywhere too well.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Looking for US workshop suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:16 »
Rob, I guess I would suggest you check out some of the well known Street Photographers and their styles.  Many conduct Workshops in various locations.  Once you find some you like check out their sites for info.
A few years back, Eric Kim was conducting a three day workshop in Mumbai (easy for me to get to) but I could not make the dates due to commitments.  He is a bit modern for me but I do like his work.  I'm pretty much self taught with a bit of training in PJ.
For many years I shot 'Stand Off' , more documentary, but over the last couple of years I've started using shorter focal lengths but not really 'in your face'.  Many more wider angle lenses also.
You might want to check out Nikon USA.  I know Nikon UK periodically have Street Workshops.   I get emails from Grays of Westminster offering workshops in London conducted by well known Photographers but alas, none have ever matched up with my trips to the UK.
You might also look for local DC Street Photography.  You may find an interesting group or photographer locally.  I know of one active group in Calcutta but that is the other side of India  :(
Best of luck,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 13:47:22 »
It might be worth having a look at  the street photography work of Rick Waldroup and RBSinTo (aka Robert), who often post here on this site. 

Perhaps PM them to see if they are aware of courses in your area?
Hugh Gunn

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 14:09:52 »
Rick Waldroup and Andrew Livelsberger are IMO the best US street shooters in our ranks. I do not know it they teach but I can imagine they know people who do teach..
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 14:55:26 »
Thanks Frank and my apologies to you Andrew - I overlooked you (my bad), but I do agree with Frank in respect of your work.

Rick Waldroup and Andrew Livelsberger are IMO the best US street shooters in our ranks. I do not know it they teach but I can imagine they know people who do teach..
Hugh Gunn

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 19:47:43 »
Thank you for the leads, I do agree with the approach of seeking out those whose work you like and seeing what they have.

More ideas welcome. As I think you gather this is a casual request... I am open to different ideas but am looking for a photographic experience where I will learn and push my own boundaries.

Thanks,
Rob.