Author Topic: Reflex Nikkor 1000mm 1:6.3 F Mount  (Read 2445 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Reflex Nikkor 1000mm 1:6.3 F Mount
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:38:06 »
If anybody has a few pennies to spare they may want to consider this inexpensive compact lens.  The list price is a small price to pay for having a true classic in your arsenal of lenses.  I bet it'll be spectacular on the Z7.  Or put it on your D500 to shoot the next football game from three blocks away!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Reflex Nikkor 1000mm 1:6.3 F Mount
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:06:51 »
US $32,300.00 worth of pennies!  At least it is a one owner machine and looks gorgeous!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If anybody has a few pennies to spare they may want to consider this
inexpensive compact lens.  The list price is a small price to pay for having a true classic in your arsenal of lenses.  I bet it'll be spectacular on the Z7.  Or put it on your D500 to shoot the next football game from three blocks away!
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:11:31 »
Ouch!  I only have a penny, and am spending my 2 cents for this reply...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:11:19 »
Better to grab the combo by the lens... :P
Francis Devrainne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:41:05 »
I do have the means to purchase this lens, but fortunately for me there is no shipping to Norway. Thus I'm saving a bundle or two here. Puuh.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:40:32 »
curious that seller has very little sales and nothing similar (lenses, etc) or of this magnitude.  if money were no object, this would have to be an in-person sale for me..
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 20:04:08 »
curious that seller has very little sales and nothing similar (lenses, etc) or of this magnitude.  if money were no object, this would have to be an in-person sale for me..

Apparently they decided the lens would be of more value to them once converted to liquid form.  That really applies to anybody's equipment having significant net resale value.  If you could sell it at any time, then the choice to keep it means choosing to forgo that potential increase in liquid assets, or potential to purchase other equipment that may be much more useful.

Also of historical interest is the rangefinder version.  Interestingly, for the sample shown the filter ring says "100cm" while the plaque on the case says "1000mm".

Both versions are old and very specialized pieces of equipment that, from a user standpoint, would be very difficult to justify purchasing or retaining.  They're probably much less capable than commercially available catadioptric telescopes and refractive lenses of recent technology and manufacture.  So the collectors can fight over them.  I think you would get better results (and no back strain) with a 500 PF and cropping 50% linearly, at just 1/9 the cost.

I'll speculate that with a simple formula for the refractive component (3/2), and old coatings (1959-65), either lens might perform adequately in UV depending on the nature of the cemented element.  I don't plan on finding out, though...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 23:11:20 »
Not too sure about any well-developed UV response for these old mirror lenses. My very early 1000mm f/11 (the version with external filter wheel) did quite poorly in UV, even though I had removed some of the filters in the wheel.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 02:01:33 »
That really applies to anybody's equipment having significant net resale value.  If you could sell it at any time, then the choice to keep it means choosing to forgo that potential increase in liquid assets, or potential to purchase other equipment that may be much more useful.

my point was that I don't trust the ad.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 04:34:25 »
Bob's caution is backed up to the extent that scammers were a couple of years ago offering the much sought after CV 125mm f/2.5 lens for well below market value and not delivering on the goods.  So Caveat Emptor is very much justified I feel with these exotic or much sought after offerings.

my point was that I don't trust the ad.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:39 »
Apparently, the first production sample of the even rarer RF version. With the N-F tube to make it useful for F-mount cameras.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:59 »
Apparently, the first production sample of the even rarer RF version. With the N-F tube to make it useful for F-mount cameras.
Perfect for a Z7 especially with the build in IS (VR),,,  ;)
Erik Lund