Author Topic: Another D200 question?  (Read 1503 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Another D200 question?
« on: January 23, 2019, 20:52:28 »
I picked up a really low mile D200 for small dollars, possibly a lend tool for a young family member. (Under 10k clicks with a genuine Nikon battery grip, 2 fresh batteries for under $100.)

The review scroll is a bit frustrating but the thing that gets me most is the underside of the rear LCD. The glass is horribly smeared. I know this is a photog, fuss, silly thing.

Can the back panel be removed easily to clean the inside? I did try to apply a bit of heat to soften the adhesive and pull off the glass but it didn't work. Nikon no longer sells replacement parts to the consumer in the US and I didn't want to crack the glass.

Having the plastic cover may help, but once again.....I realize it's a silly photographer anal thing.

Once again, I have the ability to  laugh at myself.

Happy 2019,
Steve

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Another D200 question?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 21:03:46 »
You can follow the first step in this tutorial, it's fairly easy to get to it if you are a DIY type with small screwdrivers
 ;)
https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/nikon-d200-ir
Erik Lund

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:01:44 »
Forgive me please if this is a silly question.

Is it the smooth fixed screen at the rear of the camera that is smeared or is it the removable screen protector that is smeared?  If the latter it is easy to unclip and wash with detergent.  If the former a lot more effort - as per Erik's link.
Hugh Gunn

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 19:52:07 »
Yup, it's the glued on glass panel on the back. I can live with it.

Years back, I took my D300 from an indoor air conditioned home to the outside in sweltering heat. The inside rear glass fogged & showed similar smears. I sent the camera in for repair. (Clean the inside glass.)

Nikon said they cleaned it, free of charge. (They did absolutely nothing & it was still smeared.) A previous case of "I can live with it."

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 20:24:47 »
Yup, it's the glued on glass panel on the back. I can live with it.

Years back, I took my D300 from an indoor air conditioned home to the outside in sweltering heat. The inside rear glass fogged & showed similar smears. I sent the camera in for repair. (Clean the inside glass.)

Nikon said they cleaned it, free of charge. (They did absolutely nothing & it was still smeared.) A previous case of "I can live with it."
I had similar issues with my Nikon D3's (c.2008), including the part where Nikon service "cleaned" it.  The cover glass on the rear LCD apparently was separate from the LCD panel, with an air space in between.  My current Nikon, the D800(c.2012), seems to be built differently and has never had condensation/fogging issues in the rear LCD. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA