Author Topic: Additional Camera Body - D810?  (Read 7530 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Additional Camera Body - D810?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:00:43 »
try the D500 and you will see, Øivind
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 01:48:17 »
The 'E' screen can be quite useful for precise framing and composing a picture. I would have kept it.
I agree with this.
However, assuming the D810 carries over most functions from the D800 I'm familiar with, it is possible that the D810 you examined had the grid pattern switched on in the menus.  Focusingscreen.com does not presently offer an E screen to install into a D810.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:56:00 »
try the D500 and you will see, Øivind

Frank, I was referring to the D7200 screen that you inferred was of the same matte quality derived from F6 screen as the one in D500. Where does this information come from?

I have checked out the D500 viewfinder in stores a couple of times so I am well aware of how good it is...
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 07:42:29 »
the D7100 & D7200 have the same focussing screen as the F6 as you can see in Nikon's website under specification.

The D500 VF has other constructional advantages, possibly a better Prism. Original Listing price of more than 2700€ with grip which I paid allowed for superior construction
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:16 »
the D7100 & D7200 have the same focussing screen as the F6 as you can see in Nikon's website under specification.

The D500 VF has other constructional advantages, possibly a better Prism. Original Listing price of more than 2700€ with grip which I paid allowed for superior construction

I am not convinced regarding the statement "same as the F6 screen". This is what I find:
D7100: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II screen
D7200: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)
D7500: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)
D500 :  Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)
D200: B-type Bright View Clear Matte II (from DPreview, Nikon no longer have specs for the screen on their web site)
F6: Nikon B Focusing Screen for F6 - Standard Matte Screen with AF Marks & 12mm Center Circle (Replacement) (this one was from the B&H web site)

Type B just means it is an all matte screen for normal lenses. The F6 is not listed with the "mark II" specification as far as I could find. Besides that the F6 screen is too big for the DX bodies...  So I am not sure where the saying that D500 has an F6 screen comes from, nor that there is no need to change that screen with a more matte one for manual focusing, while the other bodies will need so (according to spec the screens are the same...). The larger viewfinder certainly is nice, but I have been using a DK 17M with my D200/D7100 which probably provides about the same magnification, if not brightness.

Perhaps there are variations hiding behind the Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II designation?

The D500 with the latest offering is still about 2x the cost of a refurbished D7500. Is the better viewfinder and AF worth that much?
On the low side is no mode dial with U1/U2, worse battery performance, Larger size and weight (loading my tracker more), battery orientation limit ability to shift sideways on L-bracket (for balance adjustment on the tracker)  and still be able to access battery.

An importantly: How does it perform at really low temperatures? During my last evening dog walks at -36°C, my D7100 performed without problems and battery change through the walks. (The D5100 flunked out halfway at 10°C warmer temperatures, which makes me wary of this issue. While it is possible to swap with warm batteries, it is an operation that usually requires taking gloves off...).
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:32 »
"Focusing screen: B-type BriteView Clear Matte Screen II,
interchangeable with six other optional focusing screens"

from the F6 spec sheet PDF available here:
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/slr/f6/

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 12:17:44 »

OK, thanks, I did not notice the .pdf. Then it is established that the designation is the same for all of these cameras. (The 5000 series differs though with "Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screens".)  It is still a question if this means that all the Mark II screens are optically the same. Experience tells me that the D200 screen was way too transparent for comfortable manual focusing. So why has the screen for D500 then been praised for being god for manual focusing and not needing replacement? It sure would have been interesting if someone did a photographic comparison between a 7000 series screen and that of the D500, like I did with the Katzeye screens way back, http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=539.0.
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 12:38:59 »
I only ownwd a D7000 and the screen was bad for manual focussing because the view finder was too dark and the matte not coarse enough to give this "snap in" feel that tells my eyes "sharp now". That is what I get using the D500 builtin screen as well as the D850 using the F6J replacement from focussingscreen.com.

Yes, the D200 was bad for manual focussing without katzeye. Corseness? Could it be different within the series? I frankly do not know. The D850 without replacement screen was bad IME for manual focussing.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 13:23:18 »

Well, the original D850 screen does have a different designation, "Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VIII with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)".
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 20:14:39 »
Well, the original D850 screen does have a different designation, "Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VIII with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)".

IIRC the Df and the D850 feature the same original screen...

I tried them all. Of the selection seen here the D810 was the best. I replaced the D3 with the D500 (better in every single respect) and the D600 with the D850 (Ditto)

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 17:48:22 »
So I went back to the camera store.  I ended up walking out with a nearly new D810.  The camera came with all of the original things from the purchase plus the MB-12 battery holder/grip.  It had both the carrier for AA batteries and the lithium ion battery.  The camera itself seems to be nearly brand new from an exterior point of view.  More so as the shutter only has 3,200 snaps on it.

The downside for me is that I don't have any current or relatively current FX glass to mount on the camera.  What I do have is a pretty decent collection of AI/AIS glass from my film days.  Yes, I know those lenses may not eek out the last bit of theoretical resolution on the camera body but there is a strange "warm-feeling" for me when I mate up that old Nikon glass with a modern digital camera body.  On the other hand I rarely shoot sports or action photos... when I do they are usually of my daughters in their sports...  distance running and tae kwon do.  I can get good photos of them using my D7100 and my kit 18-140 lens.  It does the job... at least for me.  Is it super easy to do... at times no but it works for me and I am willing to accept the limitations of the D7100 and the glass I have for it.

With my age, skills, and spending dollars... I "suspect" the D810 will be my final camera body from Nikon.  Not that I have purchased that many camera bodies before.  As I said before I started with a Nikon FE (new purchase), had a number of small point and shoot digital cameras, and made the leap to the D7100 (new purchase) a few years ago.  In some respects the FE body was similar to my D7100.  A nice body but not top of the line at the time... it got my feet wet and did everything I wanted to do with it.  The D810 just gives me pretty much all of the capacity that is missing from the D7100.

Being someone with a background in things technological I probably overthink some things.  One thing of course being the megapixel capacity of a camera.  Trying to future proof things that I currently don't even use to their maximum potential.  Worried about printing a picture yet not really doing so.

When I was a child a few times a year my parents would do slide show night.  They would load up the slide projector and we would enjoy photos of the family and places we had been.  Mostly just memories.  As I type and think out loud I guess perhaps what the best I can hope for is that to happen again at some point in the future.  All of those old 35mm film slides have been digitized with my Nikon CoolScan V.  Non of my "great" digital shots have been printed yet.  My wife is open to a couple being printed and hung up at home.  I just need to do it.

Maybe a bit fatalistic in a way but perhaps that might be the best I can hope for with my small little hobby... the slide show once in a while as I enjoyed when I was growing up.  Of course the slide show will not be on a big screen in a dark room with a fan running from the projector.  It will be images shown on some monster monitor that displays super HD version whatever.  Perhaps in a nostalgic way my Nikon FE or some ancient D1700 or now D8100 sitting on a shelf as the tangible connection to the past and the person.  The images a hint to what that person was and family.

Everything is in the moment now... captured for a fleeting moment and then purged to oblivion.  Capturing images and video from what I call idiot boxes.  Don't start me on the "cloud" or other things related to the transitory nature of many things.  Maybe the DSLR is doomed to oblivion perhaps not.  One thing I have noticed when I have been out in the "field" taking night photos from a busy area of the city that is quite popular... tons of people taking photos with their phones of course... yet at the same time marveling at a simple tripod and my D7100 mounted to it... that I must be some amazing photographer and how much better the images will be compared to their phones.  A fair bit of the time someone will say they wish they could do something like that and that it looks like a fun activity.  Or some will say that looks too hard to do.  I just say it is indeed fun and not hard to do and not too insanely expensive either.  It is a great hobby that anyone with some technical skills... which anyone under 50 generally has... can produce amazing images... and be connected to the experience in a way no phone ever will.

Off of my soapbox and blathering... sorry!

So I ended up with a essentially new D810.  I suspect it will take me as far as I can go with my hobby.  While a stretch to make it happen financially... I am glad I made the leap.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 20:11:11 »
congratulations. Reward us with some images from your D810 with AI(-S) lenses...

cmcollar

• NG Member
  • Florida
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 01:48:11 »
Mncorrado,

Don't apologize for the "soapbox".  I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you had to say.  I share many of the same feelings and I wish you all the best with your new investment.  Share pictures when you can.
Christopher

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 03:24:39 »
The D810 is a good camera and they are still being sold new here in Australia.

Your Ai/Ais lenses will work fine on the D810 and this site has a lot of members that still use such glass most creatively on their modern DSLRs and mirrorless cameras  -   some of the more venerable F-mount lenses being used are nearly 60 yo and older non-F mount lenses also get used quite often by people on this site. ;D  - so you most definitely are not alone!

Epson make affordable digital projectors suitable for home use if you have a large enough wall to project onto.  On the other hand, slides on a large modern TV are the other way to go - as you point out.
Hugh Gunn

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:13 »
OK, thanks, I did not notice the .pdf. Then it is established that the designation is the same for all of these cameras. (The 5000 series differs though with "Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screens".)  It is still a question if this means that all the Mark II screens are optically the same. Experience tells me that the D200 screen was way too transparent for comfortable manual focusing. So why has the screen for D500 then been praised for being god for manual focusing and not needing replacement? It sure would have been interesting if someone did a photographic comparison between a 7000 series screen and that of the D500, like I did with the Katzeye screens way back, http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=539.0.

A little update, a test of viewfinder images of D500 compared to two Katzeye screens in D200/D7100 is found here:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,539.msg137205.html#msg137205
Interestingly, the D500 stock screen is less transparent/more matte than the D200 Katzeye screen with Optibrite , providing better background blurring. This is quite unexpected as manual focusing improved from the D200 stock screen when the Katzeye screen was installed, and the D200 stock screen has the same designation as the one in D500.
Øivind Tøien