Author Topic: I think it is going to be a GOOD YEAR!  (Read 4585 times)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
I think it is going to be a GOOD YEAR!
« on: January 02, 2019, 20:23:55 »
Yesterday January 1st   ......on this first day of the year I joined some friends for drinks, and congenial banter at the pub. I had been shooting in the street earlier and they asked to see the shots on the back of the camera. The camera gets passed around and I forget about it, go off to the bar and get another round in.

This afternoon I asked her indoors if she fancied going out for tiffin. She did so I grabbed my coat and camera bag, but the bag felt light. Opening the flap to my horror one of my cameras was missing. The camera that had been passed around my friends in the pub. I realised I did not remember getting it back. I thought how much it cost and felt sick, sods law it had my gorgeous 56mm f1.2 attached, I'm now feeling sicker. But the biggest loss I felt by far was for the 128gb Sandisk Extreme PRO card. I had took some good shots that day, one of them could possibly be the image of my life! now I will never know.

Absolutely despondent I thought about jumping in the car and going to the pub, but then thought why bother. Obviously the abandoned camera was lost to me. Her indoors realising the enormity of the situation was already ringing the venue, as the thought to do so occurred to me. Would you believe it the nice lady told her they did indeed have a lost camera. Now I do run out to the car and set off rapidly to retrieve my images. Phew what a relief I think to myself as I drive. But is it my camera, I imagine someone else may of left a crappy point and shoot with photographs of their cat on the SD card. That would just be too cruel after my hopes had been raised.

No one is coming the other way so I jump a red light in my rush to get there. I drive down a no access road in town to save time. I dump the car on double yellows right outside the pub. I smash the pub doors open and run to the bar. Jumping the queue I ask the barmaid if they have my camera. She has a quick look behind the bar and says I don't think so. Oh no I say to myself please don't do this to me. Wait a minute she says I'll ask Mary. Mary shuffles through some junk left in the corner and pulls out my camera  .....my camera my images my love!

Bez
Bez

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: I think it is going to be a GOOD YEAR!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 20:34:51 »
"my gorgeous 56mm f1.2 attached,"

irreplaceble, not even made yet lens???

What a story!°!!°°
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 20:38:53 »
"my gorgeous 56mm f1.2 attached,"

irreplaceble, not even made yet lens???

What a story!°!!°°

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/
Bez

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 20:50:08 »
That's what you get for having a small camera system :D

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 20:59:59 »
Years ago, I had about the same stress, as I went to have lunch with a friend in a café, with my Leica M6 and three lenses in a Billingham worn out bag... I left the bag on the ground, near my feet, while having lunch. Then returned to work as I had a deadline. At about 6 P.M. I suddenly thought about my precious Leica, left the team in a hurry to go to the café, moaning all along about my stupidity !
When I arrived, it wasn't the same guys, and they knew nothing about a bag or a camera... I must have been white as a sheet, because they called the other team, that had stored the bag in a cupboard, and presto, I was reunited with my bag, my M6, my lenses ! I though my heart would explode !!! I was very lucky !

So I can share your feelings... ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 21:47:30 »
Stories about forgetting photo gear in the most absurd spots can be told by many of us. For my own experiences leaving stuff in bars is highly uncommon, less so driving off with the camera on a tripod on the road verge ... or in one case, I got a phone call one late evening that a guy had found my biggest Sachtler tripod plus video head on a local river, after I had wondered nearly two weeks where the h... it was :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 22:43:08 »
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/

Ah, the famous Fujinon. I seem to think too one dimensional. Cheers & Happy New Year!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 23:59:30 »
All is well that ends well.  Good for you and literally Happy New Year, Bez!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:16:01 »
That's what you get for having a small camera system :D

Yes reviewers never mention this disadvantage  :)

Years ago, I had about the same stress, as I went to have lunch with a friend in a café, with my Leica M6 and three lenses

Jacques, Losing a Leica  .....that would of hurt!

Stories about forgetting photo gear in the most absurd spots can be told by many of us. For my own experiences leaving stuff in bars is highly uncommon

But I am a people photographer not nature, and people hang around in bars  :)

Cheers & Happy New Year!

Wishing you a Happy New year my dear friend.

Happy New Year, Bez!

Akira, Wishing you a happy New Year!

I shamefully admit this has happened (over many years) two times previously. I am beginning to suspect alcohol may have a negative influence on my short term memory?

Bez

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 02:43:09 »
Great story

Happy new year!
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:50:54 »
If you carry a camera, don't drink.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:18 »
Happy New Year, Bez!
Lovely story, glad you got your gear back!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 11:07:25 »
If you carry a camera, don't drink.

Indeed.  The image stabilization won't help...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 11:40:52 »
How fortunate! Personally i hoard my gear with a passion, the other day i walked down the stairs with cam and 300mm f/2.8 attached and slipped. Falling down i managed to keep the gear away from a devastating crash, but resulted with a "black behind".

Btw anyone left their shoes?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 11:42:16 »

How fortunate! Personally i hoard my gear with a passion, the other day i walked down the stairs with cam and 300mm f/2.8 attached and slipped. Falling down i managed to keep the gear away from a devastating crash, but resulted with a "black behind".

Btw anyone left their shoes?

;D ;D ;D