Author Topic: Walking the dog in winter wonderland  (Read 2161 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Walking the dog in winter wonderland
« on: January 02, 2019, 00:25:18 »

The landscapes around here have been quite a treat during my dog sitting with daily long morning and evening walks in the woods. Sadly this winter wonderland is about to disappear for the time being with warmer weather arriving on new years eve, so now to enjoy the images only.

Øivind Tøien

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Walking the dog in winter wonderland
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 00:33:51 »
Very nice images of a strange (to me) place.
Can you tell the temperature?
I like most 2,3 and 4.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:31 »
Thanks for the comment Aguinaldo. Those are among my favorites too. Temperature was mostly around -20 to -25°C, although there was one day with -29°C, not very cold by interior Alaska standards for this time of the year, but always a challenge if/when one has to take the mittens off to operate camera or get things out or into bags. It has been unseasonably warm the last few months. Temperature was lingering around freezing today, but it looks like snow on the trees in this lower slightly colder area might survive - colder weather is also on its way.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:32:06 »
#4 masking the moon with the tree to enhance the starry sky and the last one with different lightings are my favorites here.  Thank you for sharing!

Are these iamges shot with your D7100/5100?  They seem to serve you rewally well.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 11:37:59 »

Thanks for the kind and detailed comment Akira. Yes the last one is different with no moonlight, but still stars showing though in spite of some clouds.
Øivind Tøien

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 14:21:46 »
the moon plus dog pic is my fav in this series. It is not my temperature range, but what you show us looks inviting.

At the cable mast, there looks one connector not to be frozen...is this small box heating so strongly? What is it?
Thomas Stellwag

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 17:54:17 »
Øivind - this certainly is winter wonderland. The first blue landscape is my favourite but great series!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 22:40:52 »

Thanks for the comments Thomas and Lars. Interesting to see how preferences differ. Thomas, you have a sharp eye for details. I had not noticed and really have no idea what that box is, but now I got curious and will take a closer look next time I pass by.
Øivind Tøien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:43:08 »
Wonderful show!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:06:12 »
Thomas, if you look really closely you will see that there is another cable that is attached to both the box and the conductor.

In my day, when working for an electricity utility, such cables were used for transmission network protection and control purposes.  Now days add in fibre optic communications as well.  I am guessing that the box could function as a POP (point of presence), or a repeater.

At the cable mast, there looks one connector not to be frozen...is this small box heating so strongly? What is it?
Hugh Gunn

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 16:52:26 »
Øivind - very nice photos.  I particularly like #2 (moonless) and #4 (hidden moon), and #5 with your friend and companion (the dog) waiting patiently while you take the photo is also very nice.  The clarity of the sky in all of them is amazing.  I can feel the cold.  Happy day after New Year,  John

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 13:31:18 »

Thanks Fons, Hugh and John for your enthusiastic comments. Hugh, you explanation seems plausible; I passed the box today and captured a closeup with the 300 PF, "Motorola" is clearly visible on the box. Its neighbor looks interesting though.

Øivind Tøien

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 17:09:22 »
Øivind and Hug,  thx for explanation and additional picture
Thomas Stellwag

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 19:56:33 »
I passed the box today and captured a closeup with the 300 PF, "Motorola" is clearly visible on the box. Its neighbor looks interesting though.
Getting OT here, but these look like the cable TV distribution equipment in my neighborhood (California, USA).  Can be fiber or copper. The capped nipples are typically breakouts for lines to the customers.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 23:22:56 »
Splendid stuff, Ølvind  , and I envy you. Here is Scotland we hardly get a proper winter nowadays, just cold wet rain. I hope you get a chance to produce more new images  - I'd love to see them.