Author Topic: D850 with EN EL 18  (Read 3127 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
D850 with EN EL 18
« on: January 01, 2019, 18:08:35 »
I have D850 with third party grip and EN El 18 batteries one by proplus and one by subtel europe..works fine and gives 9 fps,
The shot counter in the battery does not reset to zero when charged on a dual charger which is a replica of the Nikon unit.
Does anyone have third party batteries or charger giving this symptom?
Thanks in advance
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: D850 with EN EL 18
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 18:28:35 »
As far as I'm aware the "shot counter" is in the camera, not the batteries ...

The batteries do have a longevity indicator, though, in form of a scale from 0 (fresh) to 4 (nearly depleted, the battery should no longer be used and in fact might die without further warning).

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 20:11:47 »
The D7100 battery indicator in the menu also has a shot counter, and it seems that the problem is mainly in the batteries themselves.  Nikon batteries always reset to zero, but third party batteries sometimes do and sometimes don't.  Since I rarely bother to check, and rarely use a third party charger, I haven't dug deeper or tried to figure out why the issue is intermittent, but it seems the batteries themselves are mostly responsible.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 20:30:06 »
I think Birna that you will find that if you have a EN EL 15   and put it on the charger for 10 sec it will re set the shot count .So I think we can conclude its in the battery / Never experienced this with the EN EL 15 3rd party or not
Just interested to find if its a battery chipping problem or a charger not causing the reset ..otherwise it does 9 fps for minimal cost …..

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 21:01:58 »
I just put a genuine EN-EL15a into a brainless Watson charger, and sure enough, it reset to zero.  Since I've had third party batteries that don't reset when recharged with the correct Nikon charger, it's pretty certain it's the battery, not the charger.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:15 »
It does seem from a post elsewhere that this is a common problem with third party batteries .  I have never had a EN EL 15 not re set  on any charger so this is new to me . Will it re set at 999 we will see  and thanks all for your inputs.

chambeshi

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:42 »
I have the 1 original ENEL18b and 2 Hahnel ENEL18 for my D850. Use Wasabi dual charger off amazon. Experienced no problems at all with D850 since April last year

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 12:40:12 »
I checked for you. My Patona batteries do reset. Counter stands at 186 and I took tens of thousands of shots with these enel18 replacenents. They work flawlessly, except for one thing: When I screw the MB to the D850 the battery sign blinks like with an empty battery. If I take out the slider and push it back in all is fine again. I guess it has to do with the contacts. The D850 brains do not always comprehend the change of power source
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 17:40:12 »
To be clear there are three counters in the camera system.

!/ the count for the shutter use .
2/ the shots taken on a particular card ..stored on the card.
3/The shots taken on a battery stored in the battery

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 18:52:52 »
this is what you want? right?

a. battery set 1
b. calibrated loading
c. battery slider and D850
d. battery set 2
e. all three batteries will be reset to zero tomorrow morning

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 20:33:36 »
both PATONA are reset now, no idea why it is 90% not 100%, it might have been disturbed by the second battery

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:18 »
next morning, the other set:
now  I got another fish to fry: