Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 4768 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 13:37:26 »
On the contrary, the Df is the ultimate picture machine. In my view. The looks are just circumstantial evidence. Put on say a 105/2.5 and experience true synergy in your shooting.

It is true. I spent the day with that lens in front of a Z6 and while it works just fine, it does not have the same soul as on the Df. I may work with the Df tomorrow just to be sure.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 13:53:41 »
Df Df Df ... for me the good tool disappears in my hands, blends into my body, becomes an extension of my mind and soul. The camera itself does not need soul imo, it needs the reliability of a tool that helps me make pictures of my ideas.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 14:31:58 »
On the contrary, the Df is the ultimate picture machine. In my view. The looks are just circumstantial evidence. Put on say a 105/2.5 and experience true synergy in your shooting.
Exactly.  Other camera's can't match that experience.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 15:02:00 »
I prefer to think as little as possible taking pictures, taking pictures is beyond thinking.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 17:38:04 »
I prefer to think as little as possible taking pictures, taking pictures is beyond thinking.

I agree with that "Zen and the picture taking" experience... 8)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Nikkor Shooter

• This is not my language… just trying to use it!
  • NG Member
  • I shoot what I like… to like what I shoot! :)
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 17:49:23 »
I agree with that "Zen and the picture taking" experience... 8)

I second you both and that's why the combo
should perform like a proper high end P&S.
Light is free… capturing it is not!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 20:18:23 »
I figure the main difference is that the P&S camera's settings are made by someone else.  Although sometimes I want to play around with settings, most of the time I want just to pick up the camera and shoot with little or no added input, but I want the starting settings to be mine.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 10:08:15 »
my smartphones allow for manual everything. With f/2.0 typical and dual camera bokeh effects I do not see anything missing except for RAW and exchangable lenses
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:26 »
The f/2 aperture has little impact on the image as the focal length is miniscule ... Bokeh and depth of field are functions of physical aperture size (and magnification).

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:58 »
I do not see anything missing except for RAW and exchangable lenses

A nice large sensor, that's what's missing.  (Using a 'smart'phone camera) It's like looking at the world through a pinhole.

I long for the day we can have a 10" X 8" sensor, a nice big lens, a lovely heavy tripod and a back cloth to compose the image under ...and movements of course!

Just my idea of a dream camera, spend half a day composing and taking one photograph. (Rather than having the camera rattle off fifty and it select 'the best'.)

Point and shoot is what you do with a gun.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:49 »
The f/2 aperture has little impact on the image as the focal length is miniscule ... Bokeh and depth of field are functions of physical aperture size (and magnification).

The bokeh of dual-camera smartphones is 'computed', and as such has not a lot to do anymore with physical aperture size and magnification.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 11:46:35 »
Even worse. A total surrender to the whims of the engineers.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 16:16:32 »
Even worse. A total surrender to the whims of the engineers.

,😁😂😁🤣🤣 engineering art