Author Topic: Hello everyone... greetings from the Adirondack foothills of upstate NY  (Read 7052 times)

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
I'm a recently-retired mail carrier with life-long interest in photography.  I did four years in the US Navy as an enlisted journalist back in the '80s.  Despite being trained on Canon cameras, the photo lab at my duty station provided me with a Nikon F2AS to work with.  :-)   

As a young man in those days, I bought my first Nikon: an FG.  I really wanted an FA but couldn't spare the money at the time.  Before the FG, I used a variety of cameras ranging from a Polaroid 420 to a Yashica FR2 to an Olympus XA.  These days, I mostly use my D750.  It was a recent purchase to replace a D70 whose sensor died.  I still have and enjoy an F2S, F3HP, two F4s's and that old FG.

I signed up to try to get some information on my F3.  When I pulled it out this past week and put a new set of batteries in it, I had trouble.  The shutter speed defaults to 1/80th until the film counter gets to "1" as expected but after that, the meter reads either "-8-" in aperture-priority mode, or underexposed at any shutter speed and aperture combination in manual mode.  The shutter seems to function properly at all manually-set speeds but depressing the shutter release in "A" mode results in the shutter opening and not closing until I turn the shutter speed dial away from "A".

I tried replacing the batteries, mounting the MD-4, etc.  Same thing.  I'm guessing the meter has croaked. :-(

In any event, I already have a minty-looking one on the way as a replacement!  I have my fingers crossed as to its actual working condition (it's an eBay purchase).

I live in a rural area but was surprised to find that there is a reputable camera repair business within an hour of my home.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be very cost-effective to repair my F3, especially considering I already have a much better condition (if it's as advertised) replacement on the way. 

But I'm still curious...   Some web searching led me to a Nikon F3 service manual and the troubleshooting section actually listed that problem (the "-8-" showing continuously in "A" mode).  I was unable to follow the chain of further check procedures through the cumbersome on-line version of the manual.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem?  If it's something simple or inexpensive to repair, I'll probably have it fixed.

Thanks,
Bob

desmobob

• NG Member
I thought I'd also put up a list of the lenses I've accumulated over the years.  Mr. Rørslett (as well as Misters Grover, Larkin, and Rockwell, MIR/Photography in Malaysia, etc, etc,) was my most-used and most respected resource in picking lenses.  If "Lens Survey and Subjective Lens Evaluations" was a book instead of a webpage, my copy would be completely worn out by now!

Of course, my budget didn't always allow me to get the best ones I read about...

Kiev           Peleng           17mm f/2.8
Zenitar                      16mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Nikon   Nikkor Ai-S        24mm f/2.8
Nikon   Nikkor Ai           28mm f/3.5
Nippon K.   Nikkor-P           105mm f/2.5 (Sonnar)
Nikon   Nikkor-P           105mm f/2.5 (Gauss)
Nikon    Nikkor-Q           135mm f/2.8
Nikon   Nikkor-H-C        50mm f/2
Nikon   Nikkor Ai           50mm f/1.4
Nikon   Series E           50mm f/1.8
Nikon   Micro-Nikkor Ai-S 55mm f/2.8
Nikon   Series E           100mm f//2.8
Nikon   Series E           75-150 f/3.5
Nikon   Micro-Nikkor Ai   200mm f/4
Nikon   Nikkor-Q           200mm f/4
Sigma   APO                   400mm f/5.6
Nikon   Nikkor               TC-201 Ai-S   
Nikon   AFD Nikkor    35mm f/2
Nikon   AF Nikkor           50mm f/1.8
Nikon   AFD Nikkor    85mm f/1.8
Nikon   AFD Nikkor EDIF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikon   AF Nikkor           28-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikon   AFD Nikkor ED   70-300mm f/4-5.6
Nikon   AF Nikkor ED IF   180mm f/2.8
Nikon   AF Nikkor ED IF   300mm f/4

Stay sharp,
Bob

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Hi Bob, sorry I can’t help you with your F3, but others will.
Welcome in any case!
Olivier

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
welcome to the forum.
Thomas Stellwag

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Hi Bob, sorry I can’t help you with your F3, but others will.
Welcome in any case!
Olivier

yes, if there are people who can help you, they are here. And Bjørn is now Birna, so Ms. Rørslett.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Welcome Bob
My F3 with MD-4 shows the correct information, so yes maybe the meter is defective.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I don't know which reputable camera business you have found, but if you're in the Adirondack foothills, you might consider Vermont Camera Works in Pittsford, Vermont, if that''s not already the one you found.  You can get an on-line estimate of repair cost, and do it by post.  I've taken a few things there over the years and had good results. 

Another possibility, perhaps a bit too far away, is LeZot camera, now located in Williston, Vermont, though they may still have a branch in Burlington.  They repair and refurbish old Nikons too.

desmobob

• NG Member
I don't know which reputable camera business you have found, but if you're in the Adirondack foothills, you might consider Vermont Camera Works in Pittsford, Vermont, if that''s not already the one you found.  You can get an on-line estimate of repair cost, and do it by post.  I've taken a few things there over the years and had good results. 

Another possibility, perhaps a bit too far away, is LeZot camera, now located in Williston, Vermont, though they may still have a branch in Burlington.  They repair and refurbish old Nikons too.

Thanks.  Vermont Camera Works is the shop I was referring to.  I'm about 40 minutes away (I think) in Whitehall, NY.  My F2S is long overdue for a CLA so I'll be visiting them after the holidays.  I'll bring the F3 along to see what they say.

Stay sharp,
Bob

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Note that they're only open Thursday through Saturday now, and though usually open then, they do sometimes close, so best to call beforehand. 

They have a small but decent selection of used stuff too.

I'm not far away in Vermont. You can avoid the traffic in Rutland if you get off Route 4 in West Rutland and take Route 3 up through Proctor.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Welcome to NikonGear! Enjoy ;)
Erik Lund