Author Topic: Backlit ornamental grasses with Z6  (Read 602 times)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Backlit ornamental grasses with Z6
« on: December 09, 2018, 22:50:26 »
I have had the Z6 and 24-70 S for a couple of weeks now, and have taken to carrying it with me on my long rambling walks.  I had seen this cluster of grasses yesterday, but the light was poor so tried it again today.  Very windy unfortunately, but waited for a brief pause to capture this one.
I have enjoyed the smaller size and features such as the assignable focus ring, which I have set to do exposure composition. With this type of backlit image, it is really a hand way to work for me.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Backlit ornamental grasses with Z6
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 23:58:01 »
very beautiful photo.
in how far do you feel the new camera was more helpful campturing this scene than cameras you had before the z6?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Backlit ornamental grasses with Z6
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 00:53:56 »
Frank:

The picture could have been taken by my D810 or other bodies that I own.  The lighter weight package of the Z6/24-70 S encourages me to take it along on my walks. The live histogram allows me to tweak the exposure on the fly without having to chimp, as does the EVF. I have really enjoyed trying out some of my older glass, which now has image stabilization, and really good tools to aid manual focusing. It has been stimulating learning how to work with the different strengths of the Z.

It won't replace my D4 and D500 for birds in flight, just not there yet. But I am looking forward to some use for my loon photography, where it is a constant battle to control the exposure because of the high dynamic range of the bird. Loons don't fly much, so the top notch tracking isn't as important of a skill.

Randy