Author Topic: The Df Revival  (Read 73896 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: The Df Revival
« Reply #300 on: October 28, 2017, 17:16:28 »
Congrats for your purchase, Bill !

Your Df seems to be in very good condition. ;)

Now, something I'd like to point out :

Do you mean ''non AI/Auto lenses'' when you say ''manual focus lenses'' ? as you can use manuel focus lenses with any Nikon body...
Anyway, I bought my Df because it offered this feature which also exists on the F4 and more old bodies (I own many non AI lenses which I didn't want to convert).

I love this 85mm f/1.8. I have the same, but with an AI kit I swopped  from a very worn one. Just a gem made of metal and glass... ;)

Actually, Nikon was, with this concept, clever enough to push on the ''nostalgic side of baby boomers, and younger as well.

I am sure, you will enjoy it !

Thanks, Rosko.

I have done a lot of manual focus work with AI-type lenses on several DSLRs, using magnified live view.  But I really don't try to focus on the screen because that just seems to produce very inaccurate and inconsistent results.  With the Df that changes.  Focus on the viewfinder screen is still not exact and I'm not going to show pixel crops, but it's quite good enough for a somewhat reduced-size photo (larger than shown here) to be sharp.  Sometimes that's all you need or want.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2017, 19:01:02 »
That lens looks right at home on it.

Maybe it is not the best camera for AF, but it is quite fun with manual lenses. I use a dk-17m magnifying eyepiece on it to help with fine manual focus. It can cause some vignette in the viewfinder corners,  it definitely make focusing even more precise.

Here are some quick results from that same lens:

Plum by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Liquidamber by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

chambeshi

« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2018, 13:44:08 »
A review of the Df by an owner after 4 years usage

http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/nikon-df-4-month-review/

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2018, 14:28:23 »
I'm surprised by his view that the Df has a "dirty sensor" (meaning that it gets dirty quickly, I suppose). Mine is also four years old and I'm happy that the sensor stays so clean, while I'm using AI/AIs primes, as AF-S G zooms as AF-D primes, often changing lenses in windy conditions...

I usually get the camera and captor cleaned at my usual shop once a year (before summer) and missed the last rendez-vous, but still can't see traces of dirt on pictures (even at bigger f/ numbers). The Df's gimmick of captor cleaning by vibration is set at on/off and seems to work (silently).
I wonder how the author gets his captor so dirty that he points it as a "Con" ???
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2018, 14:31:31 »
I wonder the same, Jacques.  My sensor stays remarkable 'clean' I must say.   

Also surprised by the focus points. I can set it to 39 or 11. But not to 9.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2018, 14:42:12 »
No other Nikon used by me has had less dirt on the sensor.

Lack of video is a 'pro' not a 'con' feature from my point of view.

The Df is the camera I reach for if I hope to enjoy photography. It is basic, highly capable, and just plain fun to use. The only modern Nikon so far where focusing the Noct is easy.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2018, 14:50:57 »
Also surprised by the focus points. I can set it to 39 or 11. But not to 9.

With a G lens on (as a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G), by pressing the button on the AF/M  switch (below the lens release button) and turning the front wheel you get to 9 focus points and even to one... ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2018, 15:01:37 »
No other Nikon used by me has had less dirt on the sensor.

Lack of video is a 'pro' not a 'con' feature from my point of view.

The Df is the camera I reach for if I hope to enjoy photography. It is basic, highly capable, and just plain fun to use. The only modern Nikon so far where focusing the Noct is easy.

Birna, your words are of wisdom  :)
I'm still thinking that it's been a while that I hadn't so much fun with a camera (even with paid work). Reminds me when I jumped back from the F4 to the good old FM2n... Less weight, less fuss, better pictures because I took the time to think more about what I wanted !!!

Of course, I hear the call of the "Zirens" over the water, but will wait till I get some nice report from you on the Z6 (I don't think the Z7 files will fare well with an iPad, even Pro). ;) It's more about the lenses anyhow !

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #308 on: September 24, 2018, 15:06:36 »
One can have a true love -- and an adorable mistress (or two). I await the arrival of my ordered Zs with a relaxed mindset.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #309 on: September 24, 2018, 15:21:36 »
With a G lens on (as a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G), by pressing the button on the AF/M  switch (below the lens release button) and turning the front wheel you get to 9 focus points and even to one... ;)
Thanks. Only looked in the 'menu'.  Never knew that, but must say that 90% of the used lenses on the Df are MF.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2018, 00:22:04 »
I think that with an AI/AIs "normal" lens (non chipped) you only have one focus point ! While replying to you the first time I had the 28/2.8 AIs on and moving the front wheel didn't change anything. I changed for the 50/1.8 G and could then change to one, nine or more (in AF-C)... :o

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2018, 00:38:06 »
Yes that's right. With manual lenses you only get one focus point and you must move the focus point manually. At least that's how it works on my D600, and the Df has the same meter/AF module...