Author Topic: The Df Revival  (Read 74108 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: The Df Revival
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 12:57:31 »
I am still very happy with my Df.

It's a breeze to use it ! :)

Now I have mastered  the ergonomics of this body and I feel as comfortable as did 30 years ago with my old Canon FTb...

Why did I buy it ?

# the quality of its sensor, the same as D4 one (dynamics and high iso);

# ability to mount non AI/auto lenses;

# quieter shutter;

# light weight.

Its nostagic look is a plus, but it's not among the first motivations, as most of its detractors tend to believe...

Actually, I get more pleasure using it than I expected before buy it.

But, nothing is perfect in this world and to be honest, they are some drawbacks I want to mention :

# this STUPID viewfinder' lid you have to attach with string. I would have prefered paying few £/€ extra and get the same blind that Nikon provided with anterior bodies (D700/F4, ect.)

# The first time I opened the battery/memory card cover/lid fell down...So there are two options if don't want to loose it : 1/ use stiky tape; 2/ close it straightaway after battery or memory card extraction.

# No battery meter which let you know the condition of the battery (like D700/D300 and more). Not essential, but useful.

Something annoying I would like pointing out :

The Df'ability  to accept non AI lenses is a major feature (at least for my use), however it's quite ponderous using it :

# 1/ rise up the aperture lever. If you forget, you mess it up.

# 2/ mount the non AI lens;

# 3/ turn aperture ring at your opted aperture;

# 4/ display the aperture stop you opted using the rear dial. the f/stop is displayed on the small screan (like any lens)

# 5/ and you have to do this last operation EACH TIME YOU CHANGE THE F/STOP...

# Don't forget to put down the aperture lever if you use after an AI/AF lens, otherwise the exposure will be mistaken.

I have question to the Fierce Bear :

Bjørn, do you need to do this operation (# 4/) each time you change the aperture stop as all your lenses are CPU-chipped ?

Thank you, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 13:28:24 »
Not exactly. Firstly, I have converted most of my older pre-AI lenses to either AI with a P-type CPU, or let it be unmodified, but mounted a G-type CPU instead. In the later case I just need flipping up the aperture follower lever and set the lens to its smallest aperture.

Secondly, for the few lenses I have left untouched, I use them in a different manner from what you describe. I set them to an f-number (say f/5.6) intended to be used for the entire shooting session, get the appropriate exposure accordingly, and just fire away.

However, given the convenience of being able to use these old lenses without any special procedure, I try to AI-convert then CPU-modify any I purchase unless there is a reason not to do so.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 15:15:49 »
I use them in a different manner from what you describe. I set them to an f-number (say f/5.6) intended to be used for the entire shooting session, get the appropriate exposure accordingly, and just fire away.

Thanks, Bjørn for this prompt answer !

That's actually what I do now most of the time (f/5.6) and sometime I change for full aperture when I want a nice background for instance.

Also I noticed when I download my images from  camera to computer. the battery gets empty if I leave it on for a while after the images transfert. 15mn is enough to completely flatten it.

Has any user experienced this small issue ?
Francis Devrainne

stenrasmussen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 15:28:56 »
I use them in a different manner from what you describe. I set them to an f-number (say f/5.6) intended to be used for the entire shooting session, get the appropriate exposure accordingly, and just fire away.

Thanks, Bjørn for this prompt answer !

That's actually what I do now most of the time (f/5.6) and sometime I change for full aperture when I want a nice background for instance.

Also I noticed when I download my images from  camera to computer. the battery gets empty if I leave it on for a while after the images transfert. 15mn is enough to completely flatten it.

Has any user experienced this small issue ?

I never transfer files Camera -> Computer via USB, I always use a card reader so I have never experienced it. But processing involved in such transfer is power dependent so no wonder.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 15:29:53 »
You mean, you stick a USB cable to the camera and download through that? The drain is probably caused by protocol talk between camera and PC.

Instead, pull the card from the camera and use a card reader. Most laptops these days have an SD-card reader facility. For stationary machines, card readers are cheap and connect through USB or similar.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 19:13:09 »
You mean, you stick a USB cable to the camera and download through that?

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

I do it like that to avoid repetitive memory card withdrawals which could damage the body contacts.

I certainly am paranoid ! :P

That said, I use a card reader as well.

Anyway, the Df battery is very good : I can take so many pics (I rarely use live view). Another thing the Df detractors don't admit !

Some images will follow. :)
Francis Devrainne

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 22:44:50 »

I've had the Df for over 2.5 years (can that be right??) and in some ways know the in's and out's, but also am often "too casual" with my technique or my settings. I'd love any tips on day to day operations of the Df. One memory was an older Bjorn post about how he holds the Df, I think he had a picture of it.

On operating the settings as I shoot, I pretty much pull the camera down, look at it, adjust the knobs and raise the camera again. I rarely feel comfortable changing the Exp Comp by touch. I rarely change the ISO, relying on excellent Auto ISO.  Sometimes I change the Aperture, that one i feel most comfortable. I wonder how many operate the knobs by touch?

Any must-change settings in the menus?  I shoot Raw and either a slightly vivid setting or monochrome so that my review images match how I may ultimately process in LR. Sometimes I use AF-ON, but not a wholesale conversion.  Mostly AF-C with continuous low speed shutter.

I rarely use the three function buttons on the front.  As you can see there is much more I can get out of the Df !!

And finally a picture of my daughter for interest...  105 2.8 (which prior to yesterday has had minimal use)...

Cheers,
Rob.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 21:40:08 »
Nice portrait, Rob !

Which 105mm have you used ? The AFS VR or AFD ?

My settings :

# almost always mode ''A''

# Raw.

# white balance : AUTO1

# picture control : standart

Here :  landscaping with the 105 mm 2.5 AI.

1/ Inside a crater. Very old volcano (centre of France, near Clermont-Ferrand) . Used for decades as quarry, now used as like a museum.
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 22:44:28 »
2/ Landscaping with 28mm f/2 AI :

Cirque de Troumouse, Pyrénées, France. Spain is just behind.
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 23:21:22 »

3 / Street with the nikkor 55mm f/1.2
Francis Devrainne

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 01:54:30 »
Trey Ratcliff's photowalk in Washington DC last night, was a fun reason to get out and shoot, although hard to take pictures with 250 other photographers swarming around!

My gallery of DC monuments at night, all Df with 24-120 f4 and then 20 1.8
http://goo.gl/QcwVLF

Fun outing!

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 09:13:02 »
Rob and Francis, some great shots there :)
Keep them coming!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 13:40:08 »
My favourite subject by far. ;D
Df + 105/2.5 AI-s
Chris Dees

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 13:56:36 »
Chris, lovely subject, indeed :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 15:04:12 »
Rob and Francis, some great shots there :)
Keep them coming!

Thanks, Jakov !

Sure I'll post more pictures... ;)
Francis Devrainne