Author Topic: The Df Revival  (Read 73893 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
The Df Revival
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:40:30 »
Dear NG friends,

In order to make a complete revival I am of the opinion that a dedicated Df thread should exist within our community.
Mind you I am not a real expert on cameras and I have never done a review of one, but that doesn't mean that I cannot share my experience with you. And, I urge you all to share your thoughts with the NG community :)

I have been using the camera for about 18 months now and I love it. What is it that I like about the Df:

- It made me use manual focus lenses that I rarely used on my previous DSLRs. Manual focussing became a breeze;
- The high ISO capabilities of the Df surpassed all my previous cameras and shooting at 12800 ISO has become a normality and I still cannot figure out how there is practically no noise at such ISO;
- The commands are something to get used to, but when you do, it's a true joy to turn those wheels;
- The looks, well, my panda is so cool.

Things that I would like to see improved with the next version:

- The grip, it's less comfortable in the hands, and still am getting used to it (probably spoiled by the D4);
- The autofocus, and the spread of autofocus points (again probably spoiled by the D4 and spread on a D300).

Attached is a photo that was made during our last get together in Slovenia as an illustration, Df+PN-11+180/2.8

Thanks, Jakov

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: The Df Revival
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 15:41:35 »
I'm still loving mine although, due to what I shoot, I'm using the D750 more.  I agree with your 'likes' except I have the Black and would get the "Panda" in a Df2 or if I am able to buy a second Df at a good price.  At the moment my favourite dealer is asking me for more than I paid for the first   >:( .

I am totally with you on the AF point spread.  Having the dedicated AE-l/AF-l button and the AF-on button helps.  Now if Nikon would just bring back the AF selector switch I would be a very happy bunny  :D.  The only time I wish for a larger grip is when I am trying to MF with a longer, heavier lens.  The 135 2.8 Q is about as big as I use for MF.

Then I would really like to have a more secure, stable grip with my right hand.  No problem with larger AF lenses.

Very nice image.  The touch of colour/light, upper left really makes it for me.  I'm still waiting for my 180 f2.8D to return from my daughter.  Had a chance to pick up a 180 2.8 Ais but it went too quickly.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:57:07 »
No secret that I am in love with my Df cameras. They are the embodiment of the digital camera I always wished for. It is not perfect by a long stretch of imagination but neither am I, so we make a nice couple (or threesome, as long as I can keep them out of mishaps :()

The Df brings back joy into a long photographic career and makes me appreciate all those beautiful Nikkors i have amassed by trial and error over many decades.

One of the latest additions was a clean 85 mm f/1.8 Nikkor from mid '70s (a late 'K' model). It was pre-AI, but since I had company with my good friend Erik [aka 'Dr. Lens'], warping it into  'Ai' was a breeze and adding the CPU completed its transition. I fondly remembered the 85/1.8 Nikkor-HC which in its time secured some of the nicest portraits I have taken, but by some strange incidents I sold it in '77 only later to always want another one. A cheap sample in a Copenhagen photo shop provided the opportunity to rectify the situation.

On the Df, the 85/1.8 delivers the kind of nicely mellow, moderately contrast images so perfectly suited to the camera NEFs and the brutal treatment they receive later.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 13:42:18 »
I really like both but a nod to the first image. I really like the softer effect in the first but love the vividness of the colours contrasting in the second.   I'm still not 'seeing' these types of images  :( .  Too much PJ, documentary and Bird shooting.

I use the 85 1.4D (never thought about going for the G) .  I am gradually building a collection of the older lenses and just as gradually learning the nuances of each and which I prefer.

Many thanks for the info on the 105 1.8 Ais.  I've decided that it really doesn't improve on the 105 f2.5's I already have.  I do remember your comment re: AF on the DC105 f2D and your comment on the need for fine tuning on the Df .  I had the 105 2.8vr on the Df this morning when I dropped my son to town in the rain.  Still faster for me than my MF's. Much better with lens hood from the 60 2.8G (HB-42) , I'll have to mention it to Roland if he doesn't know about it. .  Clicks right into place with no looseness  :) .  Much less intimidating than the orig.
Many thanks again,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 13:47:26 »
The Df can produce any kind of image. It all depends on the photographer. Perhaps it's not the ultimate tool for sports and suchlike events, but that never has bothered me and I can always haul out the trustworthy D3S for that kind of shooting.

I have had the AFS 105/2.8 VR and quickly sold it off, despite it was a Micro-Nikkor. The APO-Lanthars 125/2.5 are hard to beat and suit the Df perfectly.

nikuy

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:42:52 »
Hi,Jakov you said it all,

Nice camera to live with,I like it match with manual lens,so the left hand mainly holding the camera,not the right hand,then the camera grip not an issue for me,the DF+pk11a+Zeiss 100 f2 gave real nice color and can reach more close to subject.

Lloyd

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:38:12 »
I had the 105 2.8vr on the Df this morning when I dropped my son to town in the rain.  Still faster for me than my MF's. Much better with lens hood from the 60 2.8G (HB-42) , I'll have to mention it to Roland if he doesn't know about it. .  Clicks right into place with no looseness  :) .  Much less intimidating than the orig.
So you are saying the HB-62 (for AFS 60/2.8 micro) fits the AFS 105/2.8 VR micro?

Does it work the other way round - HB-38 for 105 fit the 60? Might be a good option for DX.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:08:49 »

wind and rain

Df 58g

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:38 »
Hi Roland, funny but I did not try it the other way (just did) but yes, they are interchangeable.  The HB-38 is a perfect fit for the 60 2.8G macro makes it a longer lens ;) .  I started by looking for options to the HB-38 on the 105vr so just tried some hoods I already owned.    The HB-42 is not petal and shorter than the HB-38 (which is what I wanted) but the HN-24/23 are even shorter.   I'll have to take some images with the 60 2.8 with the HB-38 to see if it is too long and interferes with the image.  I will shoot both lenses with swapped hoods on the D7100 and an Fx to compare.

These do not operate as the as the swap of the HB-29 with HB-48 70-200 f2.8vrI vs VRII.  The HB-29 did not go on or come off easily (as in perfect fit) when used on the newer lens.  I quickly went back to the HB-48 with the VRII.
Cheers,
Tom
Ps, that 60 2.8G with the HB-38 is longer than the 105 with the HB-42 but 105 still much heavier .
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 06:24:57 »
Guys and Gals, did the  Macro APO Lanthar 125 f2.5 (SL) come in an Ais mount?   Just out of interest I was searching the Net and a couple of people from Japan selling as Nikon Ais.  Not something I am going to rush to buy off the Net at the prices, just interested ;)
I may see if I can get a bite locally.  Some unusual lens pop up here in India.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 11:23:34 »
Yes. it may even be AI-P (with CPU)?

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:48:48 »
the  90, 125  and 180 Apo´s were produced as AIS (chrome nose)
the 2nd 90 was made later as AIP (black)
the 125 with chip is only available modified to AIR or AIL (handcrafted nordic lens art)
Thomas Stellwag

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 12:02:01 »
Here are two APO Lanthars of the 125/2.5 kind. One was originally AIS, the other started out as an EOS mount if memory serves (Erik please correct if I'm mistaken, you know also the nit-picking details of how to modify the lens).

Both are CPU-enabled of course. The original AIS is now AI-P, the other is AI-G.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 13:16:25 »
One of them where a Canon FD mount :) See here:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=528.0
Yes they have linear aperture same as Nikkor Ais lenses so can be P-Type or G-Type lenses with a CPU
Erik Lund

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 15:48:13 »
Thanks all , Bjorn, appreciate the image.  Erik, I actually did read that but was not even remotely interested in obtaining the lens.  Still, I should have remembered... short term memory is the first to go ???

I've posted a Want to Buy on the largest local Forum but so far only a couple of   lol  posts and one from a friend who wants to know if I get any joy .

The prices being asked on the NET are above the prices of a new Zeiss 135 Zf.2 f2 APO Sonnar and considerably more than the Zeiss 100 Zf.2 f2 Makro.  It also looks as if buying the lens on the NET would not be recommended since getting it in and out of India would be problematic.  The size/weight of the Lanthar is a big plus  :) .

I might get lucky locally... another lol  :)
Tom
Erik, add in the cost of coming to find you ....  ;)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India