Author Topic: Z-mount adapter for "exotic" lenses - Who's in for that?  (Read 6377 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Z-mount adapter for "exotic" lenses - Who's in for that?
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:36:13 »
Wonder if that should be made as I see quite some market for that one.

Just to check, who would be interested in say, make a Z-mount to M65 adapter
to use those large M65 helicoids on a Z-body?
formerly known as kds315

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z-mount adapter for "exotic" lenses - Who's in for that?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:49:52 »
I would be.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:42 »
I would be.

I have a prototype coming my way (made based on the measurements of the FTZ adapter), will try it out.
Could also forward it for testing purposes...
formerly known as kds315

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:10 »
My current approach is using M58 as that size fits better my intended lenses. But the larger size looks enticing on its own.

I made a makeshift M58-Z and have the parts for M42-Z and RF(S)-Z as well. Having a handful of factory spare Z mounts helped a lot.

As the M58 easily can be cast into M52, i probably will not make a special edition for that thread size, unless it later turns out to be more practical or efficient to do so.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 14:16:39 »
My current approach is using M58 as that size fits better my intended lenses. But the larger size looks enticing on its own.

I made a makeshift M58-Z and have the parts for M42-Z and RF(S)-Z as well. Having a handful of factory spare Z mounts helped a lot.

As the M58 easily can be cast into M52, i probably will not make a special edition for that thread size, unless it later turns out to be more practical or efficient to do so.

The reason simply was that I (and many people I worked for or with) now have M65 sets built, as those were the first larger helicoids available (especially for large projection lenses) after only having M42 helicoids. The M52 and later M58 helicoids came afterwards.

If the M65 works, I see no reason against having also M58 ones made. I'll talk to my partner about it....
formerly known as kds315

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 17:25:03 »
The reason simply was that I (and many people I worked for or with) now have M65 sets built, as those were the first larger helicoids available (especially for large projection lenses) after only having M42 helicoids. The M52 and later M58 helicoids came afterwards.

If the M65 works, I see no reason against having also M58 ones made. I'll talk to my partner about it....

I currently have nothing larger than m42, but would be interested in a larger helicoid and step down rings for m42 etc.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 23:17:11 »
BORG makes M57 (#1 and 2) and M75 (#3) helicoids.  They offer various camera mounts.  I'm not sure if they would offer Z mount that can accept these large helicoids, but one could hope for that.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 23:32:57 »
These look very nice. Is there a brochure or similar to download somewhere? Pricing?

As I have separate spare Z mounts at hand, I could just add one of them to the rear end of the Borgs. Might be useful for say a Rodenstock 100/1.6.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 00:02:42 »
These look very nice. Is there a brochure or similar to download somewhere? Pricing?

As I have separate spare Z mounts at hand, I could just add one of them to the rear end of the Borgs. Might be useful for say a Rodenstock 100/1.6.

They offer the brosure only in Japanese.  But, if you would like to know the details of the specific items, I would be willing to look up and translate.

The price for these helicoids are, when purchased directly from them, 27,593, 26,476 and 55,370 JPY respectively.

They also makes much longer extension barrel with the helicoid and the tripod mount (its image is attached here) whose price is  90,286 JPY.  It is designed for using their astronomical telescope lenses with the digital cameras.

All items could be a bit pricy, though.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 00:08:10 »
I am not as interested in the helicoids as the adapters that will allow me to have a greater focus ranger for some of the many exotics that I have. I can always put the camera/lens on a focus rail and, although that is an inferior method for the stacking software, it should give me an idea as to what is possible.

I am about to receive a bayonet mount for the Nikon Z for the Cambo Actus Mini, which will compact the bellows a bit, but is not what I am talking about here. Most of my exotics have various jury-rigged Nikon F-Mount. I would like to remove those and just have a Z-Adapter for M42, 39, etc. Of course the FTZ adapter will fit on any Nikon-F bayonet on a bellows, and only extends the bellows, but I want to go the other way. Those of you who like exotics as I do, please let me know as you find adapters that are shorter than the FTX for the Nikon Z.

I now have a Cambo ACTUS-XL-35 View Camera, which gives me many more movements at the price of a lot more weight. I have it on one of my Sachtler tripods which is very stable. I love it but it will take me time to learn to use it. I just learn on it by eye, but by the many books and diagrams. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 00:26:35 »
Michael, BORG also makes various camera mount adapters like this (bottom right).  The mount in the picture is for m4/3, but they also offer the one for Nikon F.  Currently they don't make one for Nikon Z, but I would suspect that they are planning to develop one.

These camera mounts has their special 49.8mm thread, but they offer a 49.8 to 42mm adapter (bottom left).  So, you can attatch virtually anything.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 00:34:27 »
Borg makes good stuff indeed, coming from the astro worls where all that is needed.

Guess it would be best to wait and see who develops what, saves me time and certainly nerves... ;-)
formerly known as kds315

kpinkert

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 02:41:42 »
Perhaps you all have already found this vendor... He has tons of adapters for all sorts of lens and helicoids and has them for the M65 and M42 helociod for mounting on both Nikon F and Nikon Z mounts. He also sells on ebay, but his web site is much easier to browse and search.

https://www.rafcamera.com/

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 15:20:20 »
Perhaps you all have already found this vendor... He has tons of adapters for all sorts of lens and helicoids and has them for the M65 and M42 helociod for mounting on both Nikon F and Nikon Z mounts. He also sells on ebay, but his web site is much easier to browse and search.

https://www.rafcamera.com/

He made it since I asked him. I work since many years with Rafael. I tested his Z-Adapter, althought tight, it works well (I got the prototype to test)... ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:42:37 »

Hi Klaus!

Interesting upgrades to the builds that ended with M65, I also have an M65 tubing setup that I don't really use due to the lack of good adaption.

Left to right: M65, Thorlabs SM2 (M52), M42x1, Thorlabs SM1 (M25), then repeat.

I use a variety of tubes, including the typical and common M42 tubes. The M42 tubes are made by Wemacro, not common ones off ebay. I am not allowed to disclose the source of M65 ones unfortunately, it was made as a small batch and intended to be sold, but the profit margin didn't make up to the effort required... so yeah.

I use SM2 the most for photography because of the extremely well made and robust adapter they offer for the F-mount. It has virtually no play and in my opinion is worth every cent of that $100+ pricetag. (https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=SM2NFM2)
Another great adapter which I'm sure many here is aware of would be the Nikon BA2, it comes with M52x0.75 threads. With Thorlabs' own M52x0.75 int > SM2 ext adapter, it's the best option, costs $40 instead of $100+.
Since I've standardised all my mounting to SM2, life has been better. No more headaches with adapters, just turn everything into M52x0.75 first.

I would be interested in a M65 adapter to the F-mount that's robust and precise. Raf's according to some the reviews wobble, so I'm gonna stay away from it. If one doesn't exist, then I'll probably start using a M52 adapter for the M65, then adapt the M52 to SM2, annoying but works; or I'll bite the bullet and toss $1000 into SM3 tubes...  :'( I intend to minimise the amount of tubing due to lateral imprecision which will result in misalignment for high mag. stuff.

Helicoids are stuff I stay away from, my inition PN95 setup had alignment problems due to the use of a helicoid that's made by a reputable guy (青分色 Tsing) and cost a lot. I had a conservation with him and he said optical alignment wasn't of much concern because all of his customers use the helicoids for quirky lenses (until I came anyway), not microscopy work where the issue is exacerbated. He offered to make highly precise ones for $400+ a piece... I'll stick to the flimsy variable tubes that rotate the entire assembly.

I now have a Cambo ACTUS-XL-35 View Camera, which gives me many more movements at the price of a lot more weight. I have it on one of my Sachtler tripods which is very stable. I love it but it will take me time to learn to use it. I just learn on it by eye, but by the many books and diagrams. LOL.
Hi Michael,
Out of curiosity and entirely unrelated, upon google searches, I found out that you used to use the Rollei X-Act 2 for your setups. Why did you end up with Cambo instead, was it because of weight and bulk? Is there anything wrong with the Rollei bellows? I want a robust bellows but I can't justify the Cambo system, it's way too expensive for me. The Rollei is fair enough on the used market and seems as precise, just bulkier.

Moreover, do you still have the Rollei, and do you intend to sell it? If not, how much did you pay? I'd like a reference. Information on using the X-Act 2 on Nikon is scarce online. You posts on this site are actually the most useful information I can find. Thanks!
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope