Author Topic: Nikkor 28mm 3.5ai corner and general sharpness compared to 2.8D and 2.0  (Read 4297 times)

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I have and 28mm 2.8D and I don’nt like the cornersharpness of that lens, even stopped down to 8 and 11. Is 28mm 3.5 ai and 2.0 better in the corners? (Or any other cheap alternatives) I am using a Df.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
I have a couple of sample at richardhaw.com

if i am not mistaken, the 28/2.8D came from the series E version. corner sharpness of that lens isnt so good as far as i recall. :o :o :o

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Interesting photo.  Is it cropped from a single frame?
It seems to be generally accepted knowledge that an undamaged Nikon 28/3.5 K/Ai/AiS, 28/2.8 Ai/AiS, or 28/2(any model) will outperform the AF 28/2.8D lens overall.
Please note: With all of these, the last 1mm or 2mm in the extreme corners will show at least a slight blurriness at any stop.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Striking image.  Is it SOOC? I have 28mm f3.5 and F2.8, both purchased new in Germany in 1979/80.  So which one do I sell? :)

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
I have a couple of sample at richardhaw.com

if i am not mistaken, the 28/2.8D came from the series E version. corner sharpness of that lens isnt so good as far as i recall. :o :o :o

The non-D cam from the series E version. The D-version is a new design.
I have AIS 28mm/2.8, AIS 28mm/2 and AF 28mm/2.8D, and I can't see any significant difference in corners sharpnes. They are all different, but that is at other parameters.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Richard, I saw you took that lens apart! Impressive! 28mm 3.5AI has a smaller front element and larger rear element than 28mm 3.5 non-ai. Modern lenses also have larger rear elements. 28mm 3.5ai seems to have a larger rear element than 2.8D (which have six elements I think), I think 3.5ai is sharper in the corners.  If it is, I don’t know.

The picture is cropped a little,   converted to BW and some clarity, sharpness and so on. I will make a new attempt a little closer. I was a little stressed when I took the picture, watching my dog. Next time I will try the leftmost Af-point, maybe it will sharpen up the corners by placing the DOF inside the sharp plane  field curvature.

It is differences between 28mm 3.5Ai and 28mm 2.8D regarding sharpness I hope someone can  comment on.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
I made a test on these lenses with Ilford FP4 film back to 90s and as far as I remember the lenses had no difference in comparison, I still have the 28 /3.5 but I don’t have a Nikon FF to give you an updated answer

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
The early AF 28/2.8 (non D) has the 5-element optics based on the Series-E lens. The AF-D 28/2.8 has a newer 6-element design which give better performance. I haven't used this model but general comments and reviews suggest it is a decent but not outstanding performer.

The AI and AIS 28/3.5 actually has a very similar 6-element design as the AF-D 28/2.8. I've used this a little and performance seemed quite good, image quality was quite acceptable for landscapes etc where the lens was stopped down to around f/8. I don't recall using it wider than about f/5.6 as I mostly needed greater DOF.

The older late-pre AI ("New Nikkor" or K) version is also well regarded, being very resistant to flare. However the very large front element means it vignettes very easily if filters are used. The optical design is based on the original 6-element design from the Nikkor-H 28/3.5 which was the first successful 28mm lens for SLR cameras. The optical design of most 28mm lenses can be traced back to this lens.

One lens that does not get talked about much is the AI 28/2.8. From what I have heard it is quite a respectable performer. The AIS 28/2.8 is a further development of the AI lens with the addition of an extra element and close range correction to improve close range performance. It is very sharp and close and medium distances but performance at infinity drops off a little. Both versions have very low barrel distortion.

Possibly the best for landscapes and scenes such as shown in the original post is the 28/2. It is known to be resistant to flare and a good performer at infinity. As you expect, it is also the largest and most expensive option.

If you are looking for a cheap and compact lens, why not try the AI 28/3.5 and see how you like it? They can be picked up for very little these days, and if  it does not perform as you would like you have not lost much - you could sell it again for the same price, and then give the 28/2 a go.

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Thank you for insights and tips. I think I try that, I can get an 35mm 3.5Ai with a little, minimal schratches at the front lens for 35$, maybe. Trying to get hold of a 28mm 2.0 later. If not the 28mm 1.8G is much better.

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
Roland nicely clarifies the details, and his discussion confirms my experience with Nikon's slower 28s (3.5, 2.8 ) in K/AI/AIS. I have used these quite a lot over the years. The 28 3.5s are good at f5.6-11 and inexpensive (less than 100 USD) though I find the 28 2.8s to be a little better. The consensus view holds that the 28 2.8 AIS is the better lens among these and, for resolution, arguably the best of Nikon's wide angles prior to the introduction of the AF 28 f1.4. The 28 2.8 AIS has exceptional close focusing performance as often noted; center frame resolution and contrast is quite good, and holds up well out toward the edge of the frame. The 28 2.8 AIS seems to flare easily, however, and at longer distances the 28 2.8 AI seems to equal the 2.8 AIS while also providing somewhat better edge resolution. These notes are general impressions and, it goes without saying, others may have different perspectives.

One of these days, I hope to acquire a modern lens or two. But until then, I can at least pretend that old Nikkors are OK...Robert

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
Re: Nikkor 28mm 3.5ai corner and general sharpness compared to 2.8D and 2.0
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:10 »
One of these days, I hope to acquire a modern lens or two. But until then, I can at least pretend that old Nikkors are OK...Robert
That’s a big true for all of us Robert!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:59 »
Especially if the old Nikkors are used with deep sunshades/hoods and the camera is on a decent tripod.

The humble 28mm f/3.5 and the equally humble 55mm f/3.5 are steals on the S/H market just now.  ;D

Hugh Gunn

chals

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 16:20:25 »
I gave up on the old Nikkors, bought 28mm 1.8G. I think the D-Nikkors are much closer to the G-Nikkors from 50mm and up.