Author Topic: Surfing in Munich  (Read 7234 times)

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Surfing in Munich
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 18:22:03 »
Hi, Richard, welcomd to NG.

The stone bridge looks familiar.  Is it Prinzregentenstrasse?  Is there the Haus der Kunst to the right of the image?
Hello Akira. Yes of course. Thats exactly the given street, over the bridge, and yes, "Haus der Kunst" would be given at right side. The situation as seen as on the photo, with mostly no water, belongs to the special days, known as "Bachauskehr" -creek cleaning days-. During those days, the water, which comes from the Isar river is blocked, and can't use the way through this creek known as Eisbach. The weather was also not the best, a very dark day in march, the colors of the photo is very flat, it looks very surreal, and wrong. Bye bye, richard

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 21:57:17 »
Hello Akira. Yes of course. Thats exactly the given street, over the bridge, and yes, "Haus der Kunst" would be given at right side. The situation as seen as on the photo, with mostly no water, belongs to the special days, known as "Bachauskehr" -creek cleaning days-. During those days, the water, which comes from the Isar river is blocked, and can't use the way through this creek known as Eisbach. The weather was also not the best, a very dark day in march, the colors of the photo is very flat, it looks very surreal, and wrong. Bye bye, richard

Thank you Richard, for the details.  I lived in Munich for one year in the early 80s as student and used to visit Staatsgalerie moderner Kunst almost every weekend.  I have many good memories from that era and always love to revisit the beautiful city.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 21:01:32 »
Thank you Richard, for the details.  I lived in Munich for one year in the early 80s as student and used to visit Staatsgalerie moderner Kunst almost every weekend.  I have many good memories from that era and always love to revisit the beautiful city.
Thats really interesting! Have got some idea now. Why not creating some sort of "Time Machine Photos" for you. You have to tell me which location you wanted to see again. I would walk through the places, and create some images here and there. 80's, thats a very long time already. There must be changed a lot since those days.  bye bye, richard

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 23:39:55 »
Thats really interesting! Have got some idea now. Why not creating some sort of "Time Machine Photos" for you. You have to tell me which location you wanted to see again. I would walk through the places, and create some images here and there. 80's, thats a very long time already. There must be changed a lot since those days.  bye bye, richard

That is so kind, Richard!  I'll dig into my memory to decide the area I'm interested in.  While I was living there, there was a lot of constructions going on to prepare for IGA (Internationale Gartenbauausstellung).  So, there should have been fair amount of changes even by the time I regrettably left the city.

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 18:41:09 »
That is so kind, Richard!  I'll dig into my memory to decide the area I'm interested in.  While I was living there, there was a lot of constructions going on to prepare for IGA (Internationale Gartenbauausstellung).  So, there should have been fair amount of changes even by the time I regrettably left the city.
Luckily i found the IGA 1983 info-book here in my room book-shelf. IGA was held from 28. april 1983 up to 9. of oktober 1983. I was aged 13 back than. hehe, i can't remember anything about it. Really nice. thanks. bye bye, richard

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 22:41:11 »
Luckily i found the IGA 1983 info-book here in my room book-shelf. IGA was held from 28. april 1983 up to 9. of oktober 1983. I was aged 13 back than. hehe, i can't remember anything about it. Really nice. thanks. bye bye, richard

Super!  Thank you for taking your time to dig out that book.  I was 20 around that time...

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 22:48:22 »
Super!  Thank you for taking your time to dig out that book.  I was 20 around that time...
First, am i very sorry while using Anthony's original post for those images. please excuse me.
Right now, starting with something for you Akira. That must be the most known area located in munich city, propably the most known attraction of germany? "Oktoberfest" area, during september 2018. seen from St. Pauls Church (also munich.)
d850 - pc19 zoom in please, 14MB http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~zeg/muenchen/Muewiesn2018c90.jpg

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 00:19:27 »
First, am i very sorry while using Anthony's original post for those images. please excuse me.

I am very happy to have accidentally stimulated so many connections amongst NG members.
Anthony Macaulay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:37 »
Right now, starting with something for you Akira. That must be the most known area located in munich city, propably the most known attraction of germany? "Oktoberfest" area, during september 2018. seen from St. Pauls Church (also munich.)

Richard, thank you for the post!  I suppose you mean St. Peter's church (Alter Peter)?  Also, I suppose the image is a view over Theresienwiese?  As I'm acrophobia, I never really wanted to climb up the bell tower, so I've seen the scene for the first time through your picture posted here.   :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 03:20:16 »
I am very happy to have accidentally stimulated so many connections amongst NG members.

Anthony, thank you very much for your generosity!

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 20:04:08 »
Richard, thank you for the post!  I suppose you mean St. Peter's church (Alter Peter)?  Also, I suppose the image is a view over Theresienwiese?  As I'm acrophobia, I never really wanted to climb up the bell tower, so I've seen the scene for the first time through your picture posted here.   :o :o :o
Exactly, Theresienwiese is the place, yes, but for the church. Peter's is at least around 2000 meters away, near to the city-hall, at the Marienplatz. St. Paulskchurch is the church beside the theresienwiese. byebye

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 21:08:03 »
Exactly, Theresienwiese is the place, yes, but for the church. Peter's is at least around 2000 meters away, near to the city-hall, at the Marienplatz. St. Paulskchurch is the church beside the theresienwiese. byebye

Thank you for the correction.  The St. Paulskirche has been completely slipped from my memory.  The church in Munich I remembe the best is, of course the Frauenkirche and St Ludwig near the Geschwister-Scholl Platz.

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 21:44:52 »
Thank you for the correction.  The St. Paulskirche has been completely slipped from my memory.  The church in Munich I remembe the best is, of course the Frauenkirche and St Ludwig near the Geschwister-Scholl Platz.
One year ago, exactly at december the 24th 2017, i have visited the peters church with the new d850+pc19. Please scroll to the left, and check the clouds near the ground, there is the Pauls Church. please zoom in here.  http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~zeg/muenchen/DSC1108petercityview24122017c90.jpg
And yesterday, tryed to "shot" St. Pauls, without any sun, tripod, and ok. Please have a look. Good for a test. zoom in, http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~zeg/muenchen/DSC6783paulskirch122018c90.jpg

In the year 2013. (d800e+pc24) Ludwigsstreet 
zoom. http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~zeg/muenchen/mueludwigstr042013c50.jpg

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2018, 02:01:06 »
Thank you!  I can see not only the St. Pauls Kirche, but also the Justizpalast, the Olympiastadion, and the Olympiaturm in the distance.

At the corner right below, I also see the Christkindermarkt in the Marienplatz which is open at the begining of November, if I remember correctly.  I also remember a book store called Hugendubel on the opposite side of the Marienplatz facing the Rathaus.  Is the store still there?

This single image stimulates many memories of my stay in Munich.  Thank you so much, Richard!

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 02:34:40 »
Pretty cool surfing shots. Amazing that they are inland!

Meanwhile we are waiting for some decent surf here. It seems like forever...