Author Topic: Capture-One v. 12 is now available!  (Read 5728 times)

ianwatson

Re: Capture-One v. 12 is now available!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 00:06:45 »
Charlie, thank you for your impressions of Capture One vs Lightroom. It seems that each can do the job while having its own quirks, strengths and weaknesses. Losing all my adjustments to RAW files would be a pain. Revisiting older images and applying newfound post processing skills can be enjoyable. However, I'd rather not have to do it to all of them. Enjoying the familiar and learning to use a pixel editor when necessary seems the wiser solution.

Carl, thank you for the warning! I am always slow to upgrade the operating system. Mostly because I am not especially computer savvy and do not believe in fixing something that is working well. High Sierra it is for now.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 05:43:17 »
Charlie, thank you for your impressions of Capture One vs Lightroom. It seems that each can do the job while having its own quirks, strengths and weaknesses....
...Carl, thank you for the warning! I am always slow to upgrade the operating system. Mostly because I am not especially computer savvy and do not believe in fixing something that is working well. High Sierra it is for now.
Ian, controlling hot windows and other selected areas should work well with the tools Lightroom provides, but of course there is always the possibility of odd problems that it cannot deal with.
Have you already researched some of the available online or published help regarding use of the adjustment brush tool in Lightroom?
Carl, on MacOS/obsolescence of software, my photo friend across the hall has Mojave running on a recent iMac,  and reports that Mojave has a feature consisting of a pop up warning about software that will become obsolescent in the near future due to ongoing changes in MacOS.  He is an Aperture user (still!) and has gotten the warning popup on Aperture and Lightroom  6.14.
I sit with Sierra and am in no hurry to update the MacOS.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:43 »
Ian, controlling hot windows and other selected areas should work well with the tools Lightroom provides, but of course there is always the possibility of odd problems that it cannot deal with.
Have you already researched some of the available online or published help regarding use of the adjustment brush tool in Lightroom?
Carl, on MacOS/obsolescence of software, my photo friend across the hall has Mojave running on a recent iMac,  and reports that Mojave has a feature consisting of a pop up warning about software that will become obsolescent in the near future due to ongoing changes in MacOS.  He is an Aperture user (still!) and has gotten the warning popup on Aperture and Lightroom  6.14.
I sit with Sierra and am in no hurry to update the MacOS.

Even though I'm running High sierra MacOS10.13.6 instead of Mojave, I am running LR CC 8.0 & PS CC 20.0.1. My friend the Mac guru (first outside vendor that Apple ever hired) has a new MacBook that came with Mojave, but the Macs that he relies on for his living are still on 10.13.6.
Carl

ianwatson

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 23:16:45 »

Keith, I have found that the Auto Mask feature works brilliantly sometimes but not always. This is with Lightroom 6.14. At your suggestion I consulted my copy of Scott Kelby’s book. It is possible that I had allowed the crosshairs of the brush tool to touch the unwanted areas. Alas, my computer is now packed for a move and so I will have to wait to experiment.