Author Topic: SHOCK, HORROR, BUT WE ARE OK - 2ND IMPORTANT NEW POST, 15 APRIL 2019  (Read 54732 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
I emailed the owner of Woodlands this morning, just to check, and she replied saying she is no longer the owner.

After I picked myself up off the floor, I asked her to put me immediately in touch with the new owner, and I have just had a long phone conversation wih them. They sound very nice, they live locally, and they said our rental was completely safe and safeguarding the existing rentals (not only ours) was part of the sale/purchase agreement.

It was a nasty little shock, but I am satisfied that our May week is safe from everything except the weather. And Donald Trump, of course. Nobody is safe from him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi y'all

Not long to go now - less than 4 weeks. The local Tourist Board have not been helpful, and the same goes for the National Trust office - I was wanting to get a few "information packs" like we had here in Killin the last time. But I know the area pretty well so we will manage ok.

A reminder about money. The total cost is £980 and this has been paid in full. A deposit of £250 is reqd in case of damage, etc, and I will give the owner a cheque for that. It is of course returnable unless you guys tear the place up.

I have mentioned previously that the price we each paid was based on 12 participants ; however two members have dropped out so the price per head rises from £81.67 to £98.00 and you owe me £16.33 each   8) 8) 8)  Also, since I have plenty of time to do a little shopping, I intend to get a few of the absolute basics so that we can at least snack a little on arrival and have some breakfast on the Sunday. I plan to get -

Tea-bags
Decaff instant coffee, Nescafe Gold Blend
Muesli
Another breakfast cereal
Semi-skimmed milk
Bread
Butter
Biscuits (cookies)
A dozen eggs
Salt and pepper
Mineral water
Apple juice and orange juice
Bacon
Smoked salmon
Rice for Frank

My wife will definitely contribute a couple of jars of her wonderful jam/ marmalade.

If anyone wants something added to the shopping list, just me know. But Beluga caviar and Alaskan oysters are OFF the menu.   ;D ;D

I don't want to be paid either the extra cost per head, or the food, until we are all safely in Kintail - the number of members could still change.

See you all in Kintail on 11th May, soon after 4pm (we can't get in the lodge until that time).
All the best,
David

PREVIOUS POST
I have paid in full the rent for our lodge, so the accommodation is secure. At the moment we are 9 plus one possible and as I have mentioned before, the per person cost was calculated when we were 12, so later on there will have to be some adjustment unless new participants join us.

Nearer to the date of our meet-up I will try to get information packs from the area tourist board.

Not much to do now except wait for May 11. 
David

(Original 18th Jan post - )
The week beginning 11th May is the clear favourite and we have two lodges holding that week for us - this will only last a day or two. Both are in Glen Shiel in one of the finest areas in the Highlands. One can sleep up to 10 people and will cost approx. £100 per person; the other is much grander altogether but with our present number of members - nine - would cost around £150 per person. This grander lodge can sleep 16-18 people so if we can recruit more members, the price will come down. But this is not certain.

My advice is to go with the smaller lodge; one of our number thinks he will camp rather than sleep in the lodge; also Bent and Gunver will not arrive until the 13th, so we will not be over-crowded.

Unless I hear something different by the end of today, I will go ahead and book the smaller lodge, and pay the deposit.

Dave

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: SCOTLAND 2019 PARTICIPANTS - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:06:02 »
sounds great, thank you. Are you sure we will not reach 15+???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 11:40:50 »
My best wishes of a fun and productive trip to all the participants.
As already explained to David, this week does not work for me, so I am sad to say I will not be joining you.
Glen Shiel is a very beautiful place and I much envy you; you'd better be organised because the nearest shops are a fairly long drive away!
On the plus side, a (long) day trip from there to Skye should be possible, for those interested.
Simone Tomasi

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:40:07 »
Unfortunately I cannot make that week (or the following week).
Anthony Macaulay

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 13:03:59 »
Sounds good, will plan accordingly.
Bent

Gunver Hjarbo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 13:10:17 »
I am looking forward to a meeting in a very beautiful area of  Scotland  :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 13:48:59 »
Even with a great interest on my part I can not commit. School schedule is pretty much set and can not be avoided. I´ll try to find at least a couple of days to fit a weekend?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 14:31:15 »
We are pretty much all singles, wouldn't mind paying 50 pounds more to have my own room and think most of us agree looking back at past events.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 14:50:03 »
We are pretty much all singles, wouldn't mind paying 50 pounds more to have my own room and think most of us agree looking back at past events.

I agree with Jan Anne about having some privacy and paying a little extra bu I can't spend other peoples' money without some kind of permission - can  I have some more opinions on this - Urgently!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 15:01:54 »
The bigger, more expensive lodge has only 8 bedrooms so if we take a few more members, some sharing will be inevitable.

Here is the bigger lodge -

http://www.glenshielestate.com/shiel_accommodation.htm

I think the smaller lodge has 7 or 8 bedrooms. I will check again and give more details.

Later. I was wrong - Woodlands, the smaller of the two lodges, has 5 bedrooms - 2 double and 3 twin, plus there are a couple of long sleepable settees  - I don't mind having one of those. If Birna and Bent/Gunver have the two doubles; six share the twins, Seapy plans to camp, two rough-sleep that makes 12 possible places.

http://woodlands-glenshiel.co.uk

Dave

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 15:19:43 »
As Jan Anne points out the number of bedrooms is the most important factor. Unless we have couples on the trip, the double beds will not be
suitable to share.

(Dave, I did not see your "Later" edit)

Bez

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 15:27:38 »
I need single uninterrupted access to a bathroom in the morning -- otherwise, I'll sleep anywhere shared accommodation or not.

Price is not a primary concern.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 16:22:02 »
The big one will take 9 persons, as most rooms will not be shared.
So maybe we should god for this bigger place.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 16:25:54 »
price is not a primary concern. Kitchen and common rooms of reasonable size, working WIFI, enough toilets and such are more important for me.

Two single beds in one room are ok. In Heidelberg we had four single beds in one room. Was OK
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 16:52:56 »
WiFi? Will be needed for sharing on NikonGear ;)