Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 47103 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia (at the moment)
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #900 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:23 »
Yes, and be prepared to work at the taking aperture when doing the metering - which might get a little dim if the light is bad.

If you tape over the Zeiss 135mm contacts, you can (must) use the aperture ring, if that's what you prefer. But then you have to manually set the focal length/max aperture and lose some exif data...
Hugh Gunn

tommiejeep

• NG Supporter
  • Look for the light
    • TAJA
« Reply #901 on: July 05, 2019, 06:36:15 »
Just for info:
I just received this from my preferred dealer , not Techart,

"...But the problem is Techart said it's not support use together with the LM-EA7 yet. They planned to support but there is still tech issue can't be solved. so it's not work with EA7 now.  "

I do plan on using my Batis 25. 85, 135, Loxia 21, 50 and FE 35 f2.8 on the Z6 so the question is to wait or buy now???   I would be much happier if my Leica M mount lenses worked as well.  I do not know if the "...tech issue..." can be resolved with a FW or if it would be a new adapter???

I will see if Techart answers my email.  If, and when, I receive a response I will up-date
Cheers,

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #902 on: July 05, 2019, 16:30:38 »
i just realized that it doesnt have a dedicated botton for AF modes or CSM  ::)

and....

you cant assign it to the custom buttons  :o :o :o

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #903 on: July 05, 2019, 16:42:39 »
I have sent MANY emails to TechArt and never received a single response.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

PeterN

• NG Supporter
« Reply #904 on: July 11, 2019, 16:05:40 »
Three things struck me in using the Z6 for a few days and looking at the RAW files in LR:
1. The colors are rather saturated compared to those of the D750.
2. Noise levels seems to be higher than those of the D750 at comparable ISO levels.
3. Besides applying the camera profile, LR mystically adjusts exposure ,highlights, shadows, sharpens with a 2.0 radius and reduces both color and luminance noise.

Am I doing something wrong or do others have similar experience?
Peter

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #905 on: July 11, 2019, 20:33:00 »
I run my Z files through Photo Ninja. Haven't noticed anything untoward. On the contrary, the results are usually spot on in terms of colour rendition and -saturation, and noise levels are very low for Z7 (which I always shoot at low ISO, it being now mainly confined to studio work). The Z6 comes out of PN with low noise too, but of course the results cannot be directly compared to those of Z7 as I often shoot Z6 at much higher ISO settings (it is my to-go camera together with the Df).

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #906 on: July 11, 2019, 20:45:33 »

3. Besides applying the camera profile, LR mystically adjusts exposure ,highlights, shadows, sharpens with a 2.0 radius and reduces both color and luminance noise.

No Z-cam here,  but just as a reminder: there is the possibility of controlling the settings applied at import in Lightroom.  Do you have "Auto Tone" selected here?...
Import>Apply During Import>Develop Settings>Auto Tone
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #907 on: July 11, 2019, 22:47:27 »
Three things struck me in using the Z6 for a few days and looking at the RAW files in LR:
1. The colors are rather saturated compared to those of the D750.
2. Noise levels seems to be higher than those of the D750 at comparable ISO levels.

Go to the photo shooting menu and set picture control to flat and see what happens the next time you import raw files into LR.
Tom

rs

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #908 on: July 12, 2019, 00:27:55 »
Yes, it seems that Lightroom take the camera settings metadata that applies to JPEG files and uses those as the initial settings for raw files.

See this discussion:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=128614.msg1118076#msg1118076

Regards,

Richard

PeterN

• NG Supporter
« Reply #909 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:23 »
Thank you very much, Richard, Tom, Keith and Birna.Very helpful.
 I am not sure if I like what LR does but I will change the jpeg settings in-camera. And test some alternatives. I still have PhotoNinja and I am also curious to see what Luminar does.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Supporter
« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2019, 22:07:14 »
Totdat I had my first real test of the Z6 in the field at an event. I must admit that I have to get used to it. The system has its advantages but it is not as snappy as the D750. Especially the startup time is annoying. However, the most disappointing part is the poor battery life. I used EVF only but the battery was dead after appt. 250 shots. Fortunately the d750 batteries work fine so I could finish the job. But I am sure I will get used to it.
Peter