Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316164 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #885 on: June 23, 2019, 13:40:40 »
I've ordered one today, mainly for the Voigtlander 15/4.5 VME and 125/2.5 APO but also the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4E which still seems to be best mirrorless 35mm out there.

Will also test the LM-E AF adapter :)

I have two on order, one from Tech-Art and the other from another vendor, in hopes that one actually gets here soon. Tech-Art has yet to respond to any questions that I have sent them. I have the two Voigtlander macro lenses (65mm and 110 mm APO) with Sony E mounts sitting here waiting for their first use. The Voigtlander 110 APO Macro is said to be a perfected CV-125, which I want to see with my own eyes. The 65mm APO Macro is supposed to be somewhat better close-up.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #886 on: June 23, 2019, 16:53:04 »
I broke my D750 and Oly PEN-F so I am in the market for a new system. For now, I want to purchase only one camera.
The Z6 is my main option but I am wondering how balanced the system is with lenses like the 70-200mm f4, 300mm f4 PF , the 105 1.4E and the Zeus milvus 135mm, all obviously with FTZ Adapter.

Can anyone share their experience, e.g. in using these lenses with the Z6/Z7?

I may add a D850 or Z7 later.

Thanks for your help!

I have no experience with those lenses, but if you choose the Z6 please consider the kit with 24-70 f/4. It stays on my camera all the time when traveling.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #887 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:19 »
J.A.,  I look forward to your views on the adapter with the Sony lenses and with the LM-EA7.   Could save me a ton of money and allow me to hold onto the Df  ;) .  I have many questions on how the Combo of the TZE-01 and the LM-EA7 communicate with the Z6.   There was a guy on Dpr testing and providing information but the thread has been deleted (???) just as he was due to post a newer review after installing the new F.W.
I am reasonably happy with a dumb adapter for my LM mount lenses on the Z6 but the Batis lenses are a PITA for MF.
I would love the little 35 f2.8 I bought from you to work well as small Street lens.

Michael,  I am looking forward to your views also but I shoot nothing like you do and am just in awe of your skills in Macro so I look forward to your images more.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #888 on: June 24, 2019, 13:09:17 »
May I ask one more question regarding the Z6/Z7?
How does the EVF perform in bright sunlight for someone with glasses compared to OVF? With my (ex) Fuji X-T1 I had to shield the EVF with my hand.

Ps: thanks for the suggestion, Jack! Although I prefer primes, the 24-70 seems to be a great option
Peter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #889 on: June 24, 2019, 13:50:11 »
May I ask one more question regarding the Z6/Z7?
How does the EVF perform in bright sunlight for someone with glasses compared to OVF? With my (ex) Fuji X-T1 I had to shield the EVF with my hand.

I've done the same on all mirrorless cameras with EVF tha I've used over the years.

I also have to make a shade when I look at the LCD screen in the strong against-the-light situations.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #890 on: June 24, 2019, 15:00:53 »
I've done the same on all mirrorless cameras with EVF tha I've used over the years.

I also have to make a shade when I look at the LCD screen in the strong against-the-light situations.

Thank you, Akira. I was already afraid of that and it might be a reason to buy another D750 instead of a Z6 despite the multiple advantages of the Z6 compared to the D750
Peter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #891 on: June 24, 2019, 17:05:15 »
Thank you, Akira. I was already afraid of that and it might be a reason to buy another D750 instead of a Z6 despite the multiple advantages of the Z6 compared to the D750

Peter, I would have to add that my eyes are very sensitive to the bright light, which exacerbates the problem.

In addition, it is often difficult to discern the border between the screen and the pitch black area around the screen when very dark area comes to the edge of the image frame.  In that case, I often lose the center of the image, and the framing resulted picture is way off.

So far as I know, Panasonic and Fuji offers a function to add a thin light gray line around the edge of the frame which offers a very clear border between the screen and the surrounding black area.  I highly regard the function.  I'm not sure if Nikon camera offers that.  I'm sure the Nikon 1 didn't.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #892 on: June 24, 2019, 23:55:00 »
Akira, if there is one, I have not seing it.

Still using the z6 more than any other camera I own.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #893 on: June 25, 2019, 01:31:57 »
Akira, if there is one, I have not seing it.

Thank you for the feedback, Paco.  The thin bright gray frame is always "on" on Panasonic, and can be "switched on" on Fujifilm by checking the "Framing Outline" checkbox in the Display Custom Setting menu in the Screen Set-up menu.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #894 on: June 25, 2019, 04:49:38 »
Thank you for the feedback, Paco.  The thin bright gray frame is always "on" on Panasonic, and can be "switched on" on Fujifilm by checking the "Framing Outline" checkbox in the Display Custom Setting menu in the Screen Set-up menu.
thank you Akira ! Very useful tip
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #895 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:35 »
thank you Akira ! Very useful tip

Armando, activating the "Framing Outline" function is highly recommended!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #896 on: June 25, 2019, 11:06:46 »
Akira (and others), thank you for your thoughts and attention area.
This morning I bought the Z6+FTZ+24-70mm kit and 35mm lens. Thanks to the cash back I saved 500 euros.
I purchased no batteries as. I want to check first how the EN-EL15 batteries that I used in the D750.
The next step is to decide whether I send the D750 for repair.
Peter

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #897 on: June 25, 2019, 12:11:24 »
Peter, I do not know how many Nikon F-mount legacy lenses that you have, but if you do have a number (like I do), then I suggest that you first need to try them out on the Z6 with the FTZ adapter and form your own personal judgement as to whether their operation on the Z6 is to your liking in comparison to how they worked for you on the D750. 

Whilst the Z6/7 are effectively lens brand agnostic, some flexibility is lost in the instance of those lenses without metering chips in them  That said, there is a whole plethora of non-Nikon lenses that the Z6/7 can utilise via adapters that a conventional Nikon DSLR cannot use because of the difference in lens register distances (46.5mm for the DSLRs versus 16mm for the Z6/7).

I like my Z7, but I will not be getting rid of my Nikon DSLRs anytime soon.  YMMV.

The next step is to decide whether I send the D750 for repair.
Hugh Gunn

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #898 on: June 25, 2019, 17:10:49 »
Peter, I do not know how many Nikon F-mount legacy lenses that you have, but if you do have a number (like I do), then I suggest that you first need to try them out on the Z6 with the FTZ adapter and form your own personal judgement as to whether their operation on the Z6 is to your liking in comparison to how they worked for you on the D750. 

Whilst the Z6/7 are effectively lens brand agnostic, some flexibility is lost in the instance of those lenses without metering chips in them  That said, there is a whole plethora of non-Nikon lenses that the Z6/7 can utilise via adapters that a conventional Nikon DSLR cannot use because of the difference in lens register distances (46.5mm for the DSLRs versus 16mm for the Z6/7).

I like my Z7, but I will not be getting rid of my Nikon DSLRs anytime soon.  YMMV.

That is an excellent idea! Thanks. I already noticed that I can’t use the aperture ring of my Zeiss 135mm lens. I have to set it to max and control aperture via the aperture wheel.
Peter

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #899 on: June 25, 2019, 22:42:46 »
If you tape over the Zeiss 135mm contacts, you can (must) use the aperture ring, if that's what you prefer. But then you have to manually set the focal length/max aperture and lose some exif data...