Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316214 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #765 on: March 24, 2019, 18:38:37 »
I was just reading this post on the Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 and noticed how it gives some insight into the reasons behind the much reduced flange distance of the Z cameras.

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0049/index.htm

Section I is most informative and comes to a close with a discussion of how the Increased flange distance of the SLR made large diameter lens design more difficult.

But lens designers possessed strong desire to commercialize again the f/1.4 and f/1.1-1.2 lenses they had successfully produced for range-finder cameras. Every designer apparently thought it was problematical that the future camera system that made its debut with so much fanfare was actually inferior to the existing system.

Also an interesting discussion of why the 50mm”normal” lens is actually 51.6mm.

I’d read this article ilong sfo but it becomes interesting again in the new context.

chambeshi

« Reply #766 on: March 30, 2019, 09:49:39 »
I was just reading this post on the Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 and noticed how it gives some insight into the reasons behind the much reduced flange distance of the Z cameras.

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0049/index.htm

Section I is most informative and comes to a close with a discussion of how the Increased flange distance of the SLR made large diameter lens design more difficult.

But lens designers possessed strong desire to commercialize again the f/1.4 and f/1.1-1.2 lenses they had successfully produced for range-finder cameras. Every designer apparently thought it was problematical that the future camera system that made its debut with so much fanfare was actually inferior to the existing system.

I’d read this article ilong sfo but it becomes interesting again in the new context.

Thanks for pointing this out. Most informative, and new relevance 6+ decades on....

I posted this link in Lens Talk wrt the new 14-30 f4S. However, his interview by Imaging Resource's David Etchells has wider relevance to the ILC industry - let alone the Z-Mount.

Enjoy the nuggets of information given by Akihiko Obama and other Nikon executives
https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/03/29/mount-wars-z-mount-really-does-help-lens-design-and-af-nikon-tech-interview

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #767 on: March 30, 2019, 15:37:24 »

The angle of view of AF-S 50/1.8G and Z 50/1.8, namely the "latest" two standard lenses is 47 degree, as opposed to 46 degree of any older lenses like Ai-s 50mm f1.4 and f1.2, AF-D 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 and AF-S 50/1.4.  That may suggest that Nikon has set the actual focal length of their standard lenses to just 50mm.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #768 on: March 31, 2019, 10:05:41 »
The lack of eye AF...
Here's a quick test of the face detection performance (AF-C) with the Sigma 105/1.4 Art. To me the so-called lack of eye AF is perhaps not a big an issues as some want it to be. This model (read: the teenager in the house) would kill me if I didn't edit out a few spots here and there...so there you have it  ;D.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #769 on: March 31, 2019, 15:26:23 »
The lack of eye AF...
Here's a quick test of the face detection performance (AF-C) with the Sigma 105/1.4 Art. To me the so-called lack of eye AF is perhaps not a big an issues as some want it to be. This model (read: the teenager in the house) would kill me if I didn't edit out a few spots here and there...so there you have it  ;D.

Sten, these are nice portraits, except that she looks pi**ed...   ;D

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #770 on: March 31, 2019, 15:48:49 »
Naaah, more like indifferent and impatient. Which is the normal mode for a teenager I guess.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #771 on: March 31, 2019, 19:14:35 »
Naaah, more like indifferent and impatient. Which is the normal mode for a teenager I guess.

Exactly, she's putting up with it, but she'd rather be doing something else.
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #772 on: March 31, 2019, 21:27:32 »
The lack of eye AF...

My cameradealer tells me about a soo to be expected firmware upgrade for the Z-Series that features "pupil"-detection to avoid focus getting stuck on the frame of glasses.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #773 on: March 31, 2019, 21:28:54 »

With three kids you should know, not gues ;-)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #774 on: March 31, 2019, 23:25:43 »
I have found the face-af to be pretty good in finding the eyes too with both longer lenses and wide angles. If the eye-ef will work better is of course welcome.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #775 on: April 01, 2019, 23:02:35 »
she looks pi**ed...   ;D

I did a double-take when I read this comment originally.
I guess Akita meant “she looks annoyed, angry etc”

In English, when we use this expression it means the person is very obviously under the influence of alcohol (which as many parents will confirm, is entirely possible for a teenager....)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #776 on: April 01, 2019, 23:37:16 »
I did a double-take when I read this comment originally.
I guess Akita meant “she looks annoyed, angry etc”

In English, when we use this expression it means the person is very obviously under the influence of alcohol (which as many parents will confirm, is entirely possible for a teenager....)

You are right.  Does "English" mean British English?

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #777 on: April 02, 2019, 01:20:14 »
You are right.  Does "English" mean British English?

Yes, British English. Also Australian and New Zealand English.

In Australia and New Zealand, to mean “she looks annoyed, angry etc” we would say 'pissed off'

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #778 on: April 02, 2019, 02:25:00 »
Yes, British English. Also Australian and New Zealand English.

In Australia and New Zealand, to mean “she looks annoyed, angry etc” we would say 'pissed off'

Thank you, Netr.  I've also heard musicians from the U.S. using the expression quite often.  So, it would be common among the English-speaking folks?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:20 »
In North American English, the complete expression is 'pissed off' [=angry, upset], but in use, it is frequently shortened---by North Americans--- to 'pissed'. Hence the confusion with the British English original.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA