Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316344 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #720 on: March 11, 2019, 23:33:06 »
That's correct. These are the parts for the camera bayonet.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #721 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:20 »
On another note, this is an example of the proverbial banding with silent shutter. All else equal, at 1/200th of a second, first shot with efc and second one with silent shutter. Even on the viewfinder the effect was present.
This is a Z6/7 phenomenon that occurs with pulsed lights, like LED, is it not?
Apparently, museums are switching to LEDs.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #722 on: March 12, 2019, 07:45:10 »
Sooner than I had expected , the factory parts I ordered for making an extension ring for native Z lenses arrived.

I have to decide on extension thickness and a suitable platform to mount the parts, but the basic details including the contact pins and signal cable are now in place.

If the project is a success (to be seen), I can provide the part code numbers.

What a nice Nikon Lego set  ;D
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:35 »

What a nice Nikon Lego set  ;D

Yes, isn' it?

I have decided that a 65mm focusing helicoid be the basic foundation for the bayonets. Some samples are ordered. They will give approx. 25 to 50mm of extension for the native Z lens, which with the 50/1.8S should give about 1:2 to 1:1.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:36 »
Yes, a focusing helicoid would also be my suggestion to make it as versatile as possible.

Very nice service from Nikon to offer these parts!

Too bad I don't have spare time,,,
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #725 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:59 »
Yes, a pity we cannot enjoy building that extension ring together. Would be a truly nerdy endeavour in the best of NG traditions.

Meanwhile an improvised test to show how the 50/1.8S performs near 1:1 (lens at f/4, infinity focus). I deliberately shot a high-contrast subject to learn whether chromatic aberrations or flare were triggered, but obviously they are not present. Some increase in spherical aberration was expected and indeed is easily seen, but not detracting from the overall rendition to any significant degree. Shooting hand-held at 1/80 sec however did indicate slight blurring by camera movement not surprisingly as the parts were held together by hand as well :D

The inherently high optical quality of the 50/1.8S does survive sufficiently in this test to make this lens a future candidate for close-ups.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #726 on: March 12, 2019, 12:27:07 »
 :o

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #727 on: March 12, 2019, 12:28:52 »
   I don´t know what kind but I think it was some incandescent as for the temperature of the light. Pulsing was present even on the EVF

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #728 on: March 12, 2019, 20:51:52 »
The bands look like they were generated in-camera, since the bands go though the entire frame - through shadows and across the floor and walls. If there was pulsed lighting you would expect the pulses not to show through shadows and they would be at different angles on the floor and walls.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2019, 20:54:29 »
Paco, is your camera set up for proper flickering protection (@50Hz) ?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2019, 22:37:17 »
Paco, is your camera set up for proper flickering protection (@50Hz) ?
The bands look like they were generated in-camera, since the bands go though the entire frame - through shadows and across the floor and walls. If there was pulsed lighting you would expect the pulses not to show through shadows and they would be at different angles on the floor and walls.

Flickr reduction shooting is set to "on" on the Photo Shooting Menu, I´m not sure if you mean something else.
   I have another example. Took just two as the results were pretty much the same. Shooting data:
   previous image: 105mm, f4, iso 800, 1/200th
   here: 105mm, f2, iso 100, 1/160th

Only the shutter mode was changed to get the banding, that´s why I assumed the all electronic shutter reading implementation was the cause .

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #731 on: March 12, 2019, 22:39:07 »
Going there to shoot again is possible as it is not far from my home and I have free access.  Maybe try with different shutter speeds?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: March 12, 2019, 22:44:50 »
You should try getting a longer shutter speed. Preferably not longer than 1/50sec. My hunch is that the banding is due to the light source.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #733 on: March 12, 2019, 23:04:09 »
You should try getting a longer shutter speed. Preferably not longer than 1/50sec. My hunch is that the banding is due to the light source.

Me too -in combination with silent shutter, that is- I´ll try with your suggested speed

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #734 on: March 13, 2019, 02:16:32 »

Roland, a couple things to consider which make your argument weaker.

General illumination affects shadows too as some light is always bouncing around.

The sensor readout progresses horizontally across the frame so in effect the sensor gets exposed to brighter and darker conditions as it scans down. This would produce horizontal banding. It is not shadows which would be cast on different planes so would not be at different angles on floor and wall. The effect is caused when the light pulses several times during the sensor readout. Very similar to not having flash synchronization.