Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316243 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #631 on: March 01, 2019, 13:49:28 »
Akira - an interesting link - thank you.

I also see Sony CFexpress cards depicted in the link - alongside a Z7.  I wonder how far off these cards are?

ADDITIONAL INFO on CP+2019:

Nikon displays mock-ups of six Z lenses to be released in the future:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/eventreport/1172477.html

Seen in the second image from the top (from left to right): 24/1.8 (filter thread: 72mm) and 85/1.8 (67mm)

The third image: 20/1.8 (77mm), 50/1.2 (82mm) and 14-24/2.8 (apparently no filter thread)

Fourth image (far right): 70-200/2.8 (77mm)

Seventh image: the battery grip containing two EN-EL15 batteries for 1.8x battery life.

Hope this would be of any help and enjoyment.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #632 on: March 01, 2019, 13:51:44 »
Z5 is mentioned here:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/02/28/cp-show-report-new-nikon-z-camera-designed-for-consumers-will-be-coming-soon-nikon-z5.aspx/#more-133012

Thank you, Bent.  The camera in the picture look like Z6/7 though.

Akira - an interesting link - thank you.

I also see Sony CFexpress cards depicted in the link - alongside a Z7.  I wonder how far off these cards are?

You are welcome, Hugh.  The release date of the CFexpress cards is not mentioned, but the next firmware update for Z6/7 includes the added compatibility to CFexpress.

Another section of Impress-Watch mentiones that Sony is planning to release the 128GB CFexpress card in this summer.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #633 on: March 01, 2019, 16:20:37 »
Some help please
Today I took some of my f mount lenses down to my dealer planning on picking up the Z6 kit if I was happy with AF.  Never got as far as testing AF since EVF stayed completely blown out.  So bright I could hardly see the targets.   I had my own card and the images were not over exposed but camera was unusable.   I have shot Z6 and Z7 before
Changing settings and doing a re-set did not do anything  but when we put the 24-70S on the camera all was good.  Owner is going to try working it out and I am going back Monday or Tuesday
Some setting we are missing?  I was using tc 1.4 II in 300 2.8vr in  very bright,  flat light.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #634 on: March 01, 2019, 16:42:01 »
Might be an issue with the FTZ adapter? You can try attaching the 300 without the TC to learn whether that changes the outcome as well.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #635 on: March 01, 2019, 18:18:25 »
Some help please
Today I took some of my f mount lenses down to my dealer planning on picking up the Z6 kit if I was happy with AF.  Never got as far as testing AF since EVF stayed completely blown out.  So bright I could hardly see the targets.   I had my own card and the images were not over exposed but camera was unusable.   I have shot Z6 and Z7 before
Changing settings and doing a re-set did not do anything  but when we put the 24-70S on the camera all was good.  Owner is going to try working it out and I am going back Monday or Tuesday
Some setting we are missing?  I was using tc 1.4 II in 300 2.8vr in  very bright,  flat light.
Tom

I’ve noticed that if I’ve zoomed the EVF that it will not respond to changing light levels. Zooming back out let’s the camera meter/reset auto iso again. Check setting d8 as well.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #636 on: March 01, 2019, 19:07:19 »
Thank you, Bent.  The camera in the picture look like Z6/7 though.

The low-cost should were mentioned in the text.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #637 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:05 »
After about one week with the Z6 I am discovering...

Very nice rendition and tunes of the colours with great dynamics.

However I hardly cope with the menus...Ergonomics are quite different.  You have to go in the menus if you need to change anything while you have buttons with the Df. So I have to define all my needs in the ''U'' modes.

This object seems robust and well finished. I didn't get the 24-70 f/4 S as I want lenses I can use on the Df, so I got a second hand AFS 24-85 f/4,5-5-6 in mint condition which operate beautifully. Very happy with this combo. I don't think is heavier than the original kit.

A small detail I like : the switch can be turned on with one finger (like D700) no like the Df one which is hard to turn without the little tab, you need two fingers.

Also I am very impressed with the electronic viewfinder, after having read many complaints about it. Really useful ! Focus peaking helps a lot with manual focus lenses.

I have of course to get used with it.

Some features I didn't find so far :

# DOF control with manuels lenses;

# I couldn't fire the flash SB900;

Some pics will follow. :)
Francis Devrainne

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #638 on: March 02, 2019, 01:48:11 »
z6 with 58mm @ 1.4  1/160th iso1600 very underexposed, needed +2.4 ev in post. Impressed. AF worked very good with the lens fully open with this low light levels.

Surfers at the end of the day.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #639 on: March 02, 2019, 04:38:08 »
Might be an issue with the FTZ adapter? You can try attaching the 300 without the TC to learn whether that changes the outcome as well.
Birna, many thanks.  I have the feeling that it is the TC.  I will certainly try taking it off.  My wife was double parked on a very busy street while we were trying to change settings so did not have as much time as I would have liked.  I did try the 58 1.4 inside the shop and it was fine but did have problems with AF in the mixed, bad light in the shop.   I am reasonably happy with the Sony a7iii for fast action shots but only have FE70-200 f4 as long lens so my quandary is buy a Z6 to use on my 70-200 f2.8G VRII, AFS 80-400G, 300 2.8 G VR and 500 f4 G vr or Sony 100-400.  The Z6 kit is cheaper than the Sony lens (not to mention a TC 1.4 added).   I can always just use my D500 and take more care with Fine Tuning.
Jack, I will pass your comment to the owner of the shop.  He is an Ex Nikon shooter who has gone to Sony but does have a very good Nikon shooter working for him who was not present.
For the moment my Df is not for sale :) and am back to thinking about a D750 ;) for the ISO (cheapest option ) .
Many thanks
Interesting but was surprised to see the WB figure in the exif box using ViewNX-i
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2019, 05:32:56 »
This footage was posted by Impress-Watch.  The introduction of 58/0.95 Neo-Noct starts at 2:00.  On the large monirotor next to the tripod, you can see how the lens sees the world.  Could be an itching teaser?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=GBOLr8qtRSI

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2019, 09:19:01 »
Except for no obvious "cat's eyes" to be seen, really hard to tell anything about the 58/0.95. I didn't understand the spoken words in the video so any  hidden goodies of information in the conversation were not obvious to me either.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2019, 10:37:15 »
Except for no obvious "cat's eyes" to be seen, really hard to tell anything about the 58/0.95. I didn't understand the spoken words in the video so any  hidden goodies of information in the conversation were not obvious to me either.

Sorry for your inconvenience.  Actually, they don't offer any new or interesting info worth translating.  The footage offers only the approximation of the "lens' view" other than the content of the article shared previously.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:00 »
You probably would encounter similar problems with a video conducted in Norwegian :)

When one observes the 58/0.95 on a camera and has people around as a yardstick, it doesn't look impossibly large to handle. I must start reallocating funds for the upcoming purchase ...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #644 on: March 04, 2019, 11:52:58 »
Z6 has taken a prominent place in my normal everyday picture taking and at work as well. A token of one of the latest promotional shoots. An alley next to Jerez´s cathedral works as a background. Lens working between f1.4 and f2.8
1.58mm
2. 28mm (close to dx crop)
3. 105mm

I have shot a couple of shows with led lights, one bad, one horrible but the little z6 manage to work them through