Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316152 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #585 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:58 »
Another of these oldies springs to life on the Z camera: 25 cm f/4 Nikkor-Q from the early '50s.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #586 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:07 »
Birna, your car has a color that Peugeot makes only for you!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:37 »
Birna, your car has a color that Peugeot makes only for you!

There is interference with caked grime and mud on it, as well.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2019, 13:16:33 »
Birna have you been to Copenhagen for shopping Z equipment ? ;)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: February 08, 2019, 13:18:57 »
Birna have you been to Copenhagen for shopping Z equipment ? ;)

No. I have alternatives back home.

Copenhagen is a nice, albeit windy, city which I have visited many many times. If Erik hadn't been so busy at present I would have liked to go there again in a short while. I just acquired a Laowa macro lens I intend for the use on the Z7. Some extra trimming is required. I might have to find a solution on my own. The temporary approach is using a thin CPU-modified extension ring. Has to do for now until I have recovered from the recent bronchitis attack and gained more energy.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #590 on: February 09, 2019, 00:37:55 »
Another of these oldies springs to life on the Z camera: 25 cm f/4 Nikkor-Q from the early '50s.

Such a wonderful image Birna.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #591 on: February 09, 2019, 00:44:17 »
The more I use the Z6 the more I like it for what I do. I have a solid 1 step advantage in usable -for me- iso over the already great d750. And silent... It works wonderfully with both the 24-70 2.8 vr and the 70-200e, my main stage lenses for results and versatility.

A shot to show the how the 3200 iso looks in low light and how the  AF learning curve is getting  better. 

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #592 on: February 10, 2019, 18:52:52 »
Really enjoyed this thread - and all the photos within. I have been using a Df and added a D850, and the Z range is something I would really like to get into so that I can use my manual Nikkors (like the 105mm f/1.8 and 200mm f/4) as well as the new lenses coming out.

Has there been a consensus for the one to go for - Z6 or Z7? Price is not such a deal as this purchase will be used and enjoyed hopefully for a good while.

The Z7 seems to be the one to go for, but if anyone has tried them back to back, any input would be appreciated.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #593 on: February 10, 2019, 19:02:34 »
For hand-held use I would prefer the Z6. I have reserved my Z7 for studio work.

In most respects, apart from MPix and ISO capabilities, they are interchangeable.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #594 on: February 10, 2019, 19:04:11 »
Really enjoyed this thread - and all the photos within. I have been using a Df and added a D850, and the Z range is something I would really like to get into so that I can use my manual Nikkors (like the 105mm f/1.8 and 200mm f/4) as well as the new lenses coming out.

Has there been a consensus for the one to go for - Z6 or Z7? Price is not such a deal as this purchase will be used and enjoyed hopefully for a good while.

The Z7 seems to be the one to go for, but if anyone has tried them back to back, any input would be appreciated.

I have Z6 as it is slightly better in low light and is cheaper. It is also said to be better for video, but I don’t have experience with that. Nikon put out their video kit with the Z6 as the base, so that should say something.

I’m expecting that there will be things learned from Z6 and Z7 that Nikon will roll into next generation bodies so I did not want to spend everything on a first generation camera.

Since you have a d850 I think you might want to think of the Z6 to fill the role of the Df. The d850 covers most of the uses for the Z7.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #595 on: February 10, 2019, 20:57:48 »
Thank you - in fact reading a bit more the Z6 does sound more suitable. Just that I was so pleased with the D850 sensor so its 'known' as it were. Exciting times!

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #596 on: February 13, 2019, 00:23:13 »
Z6 ordered and arriving tomorrow. Got it from WEX.

I can now use all the lenses that have sat just waiting for a sensor such as the Isconar 100mm f/4 that I was servicing earlier along with some 1950's Rodenstock in DKL mount along with the new glass.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #597 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:57 »
Congratulation on a new, fine camera. You will feel "at home" very quickly as it is just like any Nikon really.

The ability to adapt so many third-party lenses to the system is a bonus for the experimentally inclined photographer. Today I plan on finalising the focusing mount for my 100/1.6 Rodenstock, allowing it to reach infinity focus.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #598 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:52 »
Thank you Birna.

I have over the years acquired so many unusual lenses from my old workplace such as some custom made closed circuit TV lenses and the like it is going to be an interesting year.

I will have to order up some body caps to allow me to fit the lenses (into a tube or similar) as adpators are not available.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: February 13, 2019, 12:21:34 »
One can use spare Z mounts as well. I have ordered - and used - a handful of these during the last months. Today's project is, finally, a focusing mount for the 100/1.6 Rodenstock to allow infinity focus.