Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316175 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2019, 01:28:23 »
This one: https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/camera/nikon-z-mirrorless/objectiv/31.html

Please be aware that the image isn't of the actual Nikon Z to Leica M adapter, I received one from the first batch today and they will probably update the image on their website soon. I might post an image tomorrow if somebody is interested, the one posted looks more like the one I have for the Sony FE mount.

Yes, I would like to see the image. Is a screw mount for the Leica?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #496 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:10 »
Leica M, ie. bayonet.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: January 15, 2019, 10:55:27 »
Why not cut to the chase and install your 55mm f/1.2 CRT Nikkor directly on a focusing helicoid, Michael? 42mm thread helicoids abound on eBay and are quite cheap. Add a 39-42 ring in front and put a Z bayonet at the other end, and you're good to go.

The setup depicted below allows focusing the 55 CRT from 20 cm to approx. 5m, the latter being far outside its effective working range so one perhaps only needs 20 cm to 1 m. However, this was the only suitable helicoid floating around at present on my work table so will have to do for now. Most importantly, the focusing extension now covers the optimum design range for the 55 CRT (1:4 ~1:5x).

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #498 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:04 »
Why not cut to the chase and install your 55mm f/1.2 CRT Nikkor directly on a focusing helicoid, Michael? 42mm thread helicoids abound on eBay and are quite cheap. Add a 39-42 ring in front and put a Z bayonet at the other end, and you're good to go.

The setup depicted below allows focusing the 55 CRT from 20 cm to approx. 5m, the latter being far outside its effective working range so one perhaps only needs 20 cm to 1 m. However, this was the only suitable helicoid floating around at present on my work table so will have to do for now. Most importantly, the focusing extension now covers the optimum design range for the 55 CRT (1:4 ~1:5x).

where would I get a Z bayonet?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: January 15, 2019, 11:07:12 »
I can order for you ...

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #500 on: January 15, 2019, 12:25:19 »
I can order for you ...

How kind of you. If they are easy to get, I would take a couple and send you by PayPal whatever is needed. I could really use those. Thank you.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: January 15, 2019, 12:29:52 »
No problem. Shall we say 2 mounts? Might take a few weeks to get as the repair shop orders parts only twice a month, though. I can put in the order during the day.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2019, 12:36:08 »
No problem. Shall we say 2 mounts? Might take a few weeks to get as the repair shop orders parts only twice a month, though. I can put in the order during the day.

That would great. I am liking the Z7 a lot. It is very nice on view cameras too.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2019, 14:15:06 »
I think that BORG should be offering a Z-mount version of such an adapter sooner or later.

This thin camera mount has the 49.8mm thread for wich they also offer a 49.8 to 42mm adapter.  Then you can add virtually anything you want.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #504 on: January 15, 2019, 21:11:26 »
OK, here's a couple of quick snapshots with the iPhone of the Novoflex Leica M adapters on or with the Z6 and the original Sony a7S (the MKII+ models are much bigger).

The Leica M adapter for the Nikon Z mount is much larger than its Sony FE counterpart because the Z mount is much larger in diameter and the flange distance is 2mm shorter for the Nikon as well, with both things combined you end up with a Leica M adapter which is much larger in diameter and also 2mm thicker.

The adapter for the Zee mount is so big that Novoflex decided to move the lens lock button from the side of the adapter to the front of the adapter so operating it doesn't intervene with the two custom Fn1 and Fn2 buttons  ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2019, 11:22:42 »
An annoying feature of the Z range is the inability to record multiple images into a final NEF format. You only get a jpg(fine). It escapes me why they haven't done the same implementation as say on the Df where you indeed get a composited RAW file??

Even more so as there is an option to store all intermediate captures as NEFs.

Z6, 58/1.4 Voigtländer, multiple exp.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2019, 14:27:32 »
So you "blended" that image in Post then?
Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2019, 14:36:58 »
Nope. This is the camera output.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #508 on: January 19, 2019, 00:15:29 »
Hello all !

I am showing some interests toward this camera. So far I was considering this new comer with a placid eye and didn't even try to find out about its potential, at least for my use.

So, having now more free time, I started to read this thread from the beginning this morning, and wow, no so bad, actually !

I already reached the 13th page and the read is leading myself to ask 2 questions :

# Is any M42/Z mount adapter able to give infinity without any glass inside of course ? I would say yes, as the distance from the sensor to the rear glass is much longer than the F system. just to be sure.

# Is the body fitted stabilisation system really efficient even with lens without VR ?

I am going to carry on my reading... ;D

thanks, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #509 on: January 19, 2019, 00:44:58 »

# Is any M42/Z mount adapter able to give infinity without any glass inside of course ? I would say yes, as the distance from the sensor to the rear glass is much longer than the F system. just to be sure.

# Is the body fitted stabilisation system really efficient even with lens without VR ?

Yes, the flange distance for Leica mount is deeper than Z so adaptation of lenses does not have focus distance limitations.

The in-body image stabilization (IBIS) works with my old AI and pre-AI lenses. It is best with the native Z mount lenses designed for the camera, but is still effective with old glass. With static subjects I think it is at least worth two stops. I've found it helpful handholding long lenses (300mm) and also with normal lenses in low light (longer than 1/10 second).