Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 319443 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #450 on: January 04, 2019, 16:32:21 »
JA: the lens in question with the Z and 'Smallrig' is 24-70/4 which by no means of imagination can be considered 'heavy'.

Either the bracket is sloppily attached to the camera, or the design is flawed. You guess is as good as mine.

Andrew might enlighten us further when he receives his 'Smallrig'.

I might need some pointers for use cases of the l-bracket when I receive it.  I have never used one before, so if I am going to test it out, I may need some pointers to get the data you need reported in a meaningful way.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #451 on: January 04, 2019, 18:18:37 »
Quick shots of RRS plate. Note the hex wrench on the front held by two magnets embedded in frame of plate. Also, the bottom can expand to accommodate UBS, HDMI etc. wires.

It fits the camera very nicely.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2019, 19:08:29 »
Quick shots of RRS plate. Note the hex wrench on the front held by two magnets embedded in frame of plate. Also, the bottom can expand to accommodate UBS, HDMI etc. wires.

I'm glad you posted pics of the bracket, as they are missing from the RRS website.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2019, 19:35:51 »
I'm glad you posted pics of the bracket, as they are missing from the RRS website.

Yeah, and isn't that curious. B&H shows a sketch, but no photos. Maybe Tom should ask RRS if they wanna buy some images of their product.  ;)
Carl

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2019, 20:00:00 »
Hi Michael, could you please post an image of the brackets?

I'm looking for a plate which covers the entire bottom of the camera so includes a grip extension, Smallrig has one and I expect RRS has the same design but somehow they were unable to have any images on their website so you'll be the first to do so :)

Here's the Smallrig, which is very modular:
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-camera-2258.html

I have the Smallrig + FTZ extension. It fits nicely. I'll have it with me next Friday, you can judge yourself :)
Chris Dees

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2019, 21:07:59 »

Thanks Thom for posting these pictures, very helpful.

It is good to see that the plate enhances the grip of the camera without blocking the battery door. Things are not so good imho with the l-part. Depending on its mounting position it will block the plate mounting screw, and the plate without the l-part will have two sharp edges at the left bottom side that might become a little uncomfortable on the palm of the left hand. RRS solved this differently in the Sony plates (l-part between plate and body, so edges pointing upwards). The reason for this l-part mounting scheme could be a locking pin on the plate that fits in the hole on the right side of the bottom of the Z camera, is that pin really there??

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2019, 22:39:16 »
A quick photo to show how the RSS Z7 L-Bracket extends to allow me to use various ports, in this case a corded remote.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2019, 02:49:40 »
I have the Smallrig + FTZ extension. It fits nicely. I'll have it with me next Friday, you can judge yourself :)

Based on your pics I ordered the Smallrig setup.  Seems about perfect for what I need. 
Andrew

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #458 on: January 05, 2019, 03:45:08 »
Thanks Thom for posting these pictures, very helpful.

It is good to see that the plate enhances the grip of the camera without blocking the battery door. Things are not so good imho with the l-part. Depending on its mounting position it will block the plate mounting screw, and the plate without the l-part will have two sharp edges at the left bottom side that might become a little uncomfortable on the palm of the left hand. RRS solved this differently in the Sony plates (l-part between plate and body, so edges pointing upwards). The reason for this l-part mounting scheme could be a locking pin on the plate that fits in the hole on the right side of the bottom of the Z camera, is that pin really there??

Eddie,

These two edges are not what I would I would call sharp, and in fact are nicely machined to a proper smoothness. However, depending how you hold the camera, it could conceivably be uncomfortable. For me it is not a problem.

As for the pin, yes it is there and does fit into the hole you mention.

Tom

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2019, 08:37:36 »
Seeing the RRS bracket I'm glad for choosing the Markins (LN-Z7 + LN-FZ). For my hands much more comfortable. Plus it handles vertical orientation of the camera with FTZ better.

The L-bracket for Olympus E-M.2 is constructed in similar manner to the RRS and using that camera hand-held with the bracket is not comfortable (for my hands).

chambeshi

« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2019, 10:41:49 »
The SunwayFOTO L-bracket for my D850 works fine on the Z7

fyi 2 more options for L Brackets
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/03/new-3-legged-thing-zelda-l-brackets-for-nikon-z-series-cameras.aspx/

https://www.acratech.net/l-brackets-and-nodal-rails/extended-universal-l-bracket/

I've settled on Acratech quick-release plates and their "dry" ballhead + levelling base. lightest and win all round, especially the QR mechanism.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2019, 13:19:35 »
Seeing the RRS bracket I'm glad for choosing the Markins (LN-Z7 + LN-FZ). For my hands much more comfortable. Plus it handles vertical orientation of the camera with FTZ better.

The L-bracket for Olympus E-M.2 is constructed in similar manner to the RRS and using that camera hand-held with the bracket is not comfortable (for my hands).

This morning the postman delivered the Markins PN-Z7 + LN-Z7. The plate PN-Z7 is fine, but the l-part LN-Z7 imho not. It is considerably weakened due the thin area where there is no dovetail. It is very easy to (visibly) flex it by hand when mounted. This one will go back.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2019, 16:55:43 »
For my use with the Nikon Z7, I find the RSS L-Bracket on the camera plus the Markins Quick Release L-Bracket-Nikon on my FTZ adapter the perfect fit. This allows me to use the camera or the FTZ adaptor, each either horizontally or vertically... independent of one another. Sometimes I need the added strength of the FTZ adapter to handle large lenses like the Otus series, and so on.

The RRS camera L-Bracket allows me to extend the vertical piece of the L-Bracket so that I can accommodate the various plug-in devices on the left side of the camera. I typically use a corded remote, for example.

I also have the ProMediaGear PLX4 | 4 inch Universal L Bracket which is only $89 and does a lot of what the RSS L-Bracket does, but not as elegantly, IMO.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2019, 18:21:24 »
All this focus (pun intended) on brackets, plates, extensions for the Z6/7 and other camera bodies is indicative for this miopic reader that Nikon designers/engineers missed out or knowingly, woefully ignored  an opportunity  to end this "sawn off" look on its line of digital reflex cameras (the Df being a noteworthy exception, and a design feature plus of utility and aesthetic balance that instantly drew me towards the notion of becoming a Df owner), by designing a body that simply incorporates what is lacking so obviously, in the current designs. The third party designers, like the creators of the RRS and other extensions designers were quick to see the failings of the very recent Z designs and so endear themselves to those who see this basic flaw in Nikon Z design. The RRS design, for one, "looks good" so good, that it has become a part of the Z camera body- horse and rider as one, to steal a Nipon philosophy. 

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2019, 13:22:01 »
All this focus (pun intended) on brackets, plates, extensions for the Z6/7 and other camera bodies is indicative for this miopic reader that Nikon designers/engineers missed out or knowingly, woefully ignored  an opportunity  to end this "sawn off" look on its line of digital reflex cameras (the Df being a noteworthy exception, and a design feature plus of utility and aesthetic balance that instantly drew me towards the notion of becoming a Df owner), by designing a body that simply incorporates what is lacking so obviously, in the current designs. The third party designers, like the creators of the RRS and other extensions designers were quick to see the failings of the very recent Z designs and so endear themselves to those who see this basic flaw in Nikon Z design. The RRS design, for one, "looks good" so good, that it has become a part of the Z camera body- horse and rider as one, to steal a Nipon philosophy.

I’m quite happy to have a camera without a bunch of plates bolted on to it. I’ve never felt the need to add brackets and the like.