Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 319434 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2019, 02:19:43 »
So they copied what Kirk did with their monopod head and attached an Allen wrench to the device. Good idea! Another good idea, IMO, is this better wrench from Acratech.

https://www.acratech.net/accessories/stainless-steel-allen-wrench
Wouldn't it be infinitely better to eliminate the Allen head and use a slot that can be turned with a coin, as the inexpensive Sunway gear does?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2019, 02:23:30 »
I'm thinking about trading in some of my older Nikon gear toward a Z6/24-70/FTZ. WTH, I don't use the old stuff, so I think I would get more value from trading it for something that I would use, like a Z6/24-70-/FTZ combo. Comments?
If you have lost interest in it and will have no use for it, why not get something new and fun to play with?
I got OK trade in value from KEH for my good condition Nikon F3 cams just a year ago.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:58 »
Good luck with your request/discussion regarding Z to Z extension tubes with pass through contacts. 

Any chance of reminding them of producing upgraded (metal bodied)  F to F extension tubes, also with pass through contacts?  (Please.......  ;D)

However, as I already have an appointment with a rep of Nikon UK next week, I will relate to them a wish for a Z extension tube. I might even build one myself after talking to my insider Nikon repair tech who might provide me with [some of] the required parts.
Hugh Gunn

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:42 »
Also, received the RRS L-Bracket for the Z cameras. It is nice and it extends to the left (facing forward) to allow the various HDMI connections, etc. to fit in without effecting the vertical mounting. I have other L-Brackers, but this is expensive but nice, IMO. It also has an Allen wrench inset into the L-Pracked held there by two magnets.
Hi Michael, could you please post an image of the brackets?

I'm looking for a plate which covers the entire bottom of the camera so includes a grip extension, Smallrig has one and I expect RRS has the same design but somehow they were unable to have any images on their website so you'll be the first to do so :)

Here's the Smallrig, which is very modular:
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-camera-2258.html
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2019, 13:29:49 »
Hi Michael, could you please post an image of the brackets?

I'm looking for a plate which covers the entire bottom of the camera so includes a grip extension, Smallrig has one and I expect RRS has the same design but somehow they were unable to have any images on their website so you'll be the first to do so :)

Here's the Smallrig, which is very modular:
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-camera-2258.html

Here is the insert. Like all RRS, it is the best quality. It allows me to extend the vertical component away from the side of the camera so that I han use HDMI, etc. plugs. It does not address the FTZ component. It does cover the bottom of the camera. I have other ones I could use, but this is the best so far.

You do NOT have to remove the plate to replace the battery on the RRS L-BRacket
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2019, 13:30:59 »
The depicted 'Smallrig' (posted by Jan Anne) I suppose will be OK for video usage, but turns the camera handling rather awkward for still photography with a hand-held camera. Also noted that the FTZ adapter is properly supported only for landscape mode as there is no connector for verticals on it. In this respect, the Markins bracket for the FTZ seems much better.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2019, 13:35:25 »
Oh well, out for a short spin with the old 50 mm f/1.4 RF Nikkor (2005 revised 'Olympia' model apparently) on the Z6. The lens handles nicely on the Z, however the Amadeo helicoid gets rather stiff in cold weather so one has to work slowly. Which I guess is a major reason for using such a makeshift lens on the new camera anyway :D

A shop girl trying her best not to slip on icy, treacherous frozen ground ...

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #442 on: January 04, 2019, 13:45:55 »
Without pictures of the RRS plate available yet, question is if the plate does extend below the battery door / grip area. If so, the additional height obtained this way will improve the grip on the camera. It might be needed however to remove the plate in order to exchange the battery. The RRS plate for the Sony A7iii/A7riii/A9 is like this, with the option of moving the (removable) battery door to the plate.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2019, 13:50:17 »
Without pictures of the RRS plate available yet, question is if the plate does extend below the battery door / grip area. If so, the additional height obtained this way will improve the grip on the camera. It might be needed however to remove the plate in order to exchange the battery. The RRS plate for the Sony A7iii/A7riii/A9 is like this, with the option of moving the (removable) battery door to the plate.

You do NOT have to remove the plate to replace the battery on the RRS L-BRacket. I will try to get photos on the camera, but right now I am babysitting my 5 year-old granddaughter. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2019, 14:36:20 »
Without pictures of the RRS plate available yet, question is if the plate does extend below the battery door / grip area. If so, the additional height obtained this way will improve the grip on the camera.
Exactly, I had this type of plate on all three of my Sony's and it really improves the handling, really don't want to go back 5 years in time and use a regular generic shaped plates.

It might be needed however to remove the plate in order to exchange the battery. The RRS plate for the Sony A7iii/A7riii/A9 is like this, with the option of moving the (removable) battery door to the plate.
Also don't like this for two reasons; I want to keep the camera sealed at all times when in the field as I do shoot in the rain and also want to keep the battery door out of the dirt when placing it on the ground.

I've used cheap eBay brackets for the Sony's which worked pretty well as a grip extender but had too much flex for serious tripod use, they were OK for the few times a year I actually used a tripod but for the Z6 I want to have a solid plate with a grip extender.

Maybe my eyes are fooling me but based on early reports of the Smallrig on DPReview it seems that their design also has too much flex when heavier lenses are mounted, see the attached image.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #445 on: January 04, 2019, 14:43:07 »
Doesn't look good to my eyes either...

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #446 on: January 04, 2019, 14:51:31 »
I'll be getting the SmallRig only because they seem to be the only one I can find that has a bottom plate that runs the entire length of the bottom of the camera.  I just want a little more space for the grip.  The price seems right as well and the side plate can be completely removed.

I'm not as demanding for tripod work as some of you are, so should fit the bill quite nicely.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: January 04, 2019, 14:52:19 »
JA: the lens in question with the Z and 'Smallrig' is 24-70/4 which by no means of imagination can be considered 'heavy'.

Either the bracket is sloppily attached to the camera, or the design is flawed. You guess is as good as mine.

Andrew might enlighten us further when he receives his 'Smallrig'.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #448 on: January 04, 2019, 15:17:45 »
JA: the lens in question with the Z and 'Smallrig' is 24-70/4 which by no means of imagination can be considered 'heavy'.
In the mirrorless domain any lens of half a kilo and up is considered heavy ;)

Most small primes are within the 250 to 400 gram range, my Voigtlander 15mm FE is only a mere 247 grams.

My 35/1.4 is over 600 grams which I do consider doable but on the heavy side for a small mirrorless camera.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #449 on: January 04, 2019, 16:07:32 »
J.A., my wife shot about 80 staff portraits  using a7iii Batis 85 and Batis 135 using the SmallRig.  No flex.  I do not know if it is substantially different to the one for Nikon Z.  It is not light so I normally have a leather half case on the Sony's.  Gives me the added height plus protects cameras.
Still no Z6 available here.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India