Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316108 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2018, 15:14:23 »
I wouldn't bother with the manual Birna, that image is more than good enough.   ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2018, 16:14:14 »
My worries were more about the feature(s) implemented than the final result, the later being dependent on the user not the camera :D

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2018, 16:20:39 »
you say it is not possible to shine light on the same piece of film more than once? The camera always records independent nefs and mixes a jpeg from them? That seems more like in camera editing than multi exposure.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2018, 16:24:30 »
Among the many options available is adding input on a pixel by pixel basis if I understand correctly. Meaning, this is the digital equivalent to exposing the same piece of film more than once. If an area gets overexposed, it will remain so. Do note there are other modes such as "average gain", that simply calculates a mean of the light intensities at a given point. This mode is very alien to film practice.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2018, 21:12:11 »
I remember in Scotland I used the superb implementation of the D500 to shoot the "ten castles"
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Arne Hvaring

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2018, 21:20:02 »
Has anyone found a way to get out of magnified view by half pressing the shutter button? This is the way it is implemented in all mirrorless cameras I know (Sony, Panasonoic, Olympus), but by default the Z7 requires a second push on the chosen magnify button.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2018, 21:47:52 »
Has anyone found a way to get out of magnified view by half pressing the shutter button? This is the way it is implemented in all mirrorless cameras I know (Sony, Panasonoic, Olympus), but by default the Z7 requires a second push on the chosen magnify button.

Similarly, I couldn't find the way to assign the (pushing of the) joystick to get the AF point back to the center: you have to push the "OK" button to do that, which is frustrating.  GH5 allowed to do that as default, which it more natural and reasonable.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2018, 21:53:47 »
One has to press the minus button that is just below the plus button. The alternative that I have programed into my Z6 is to use the lower fn button to do 100%. Pressing it again exits the mode. Same button can be used both for taking and for chimping.
Tom

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2018, 00:35:26 »
It stopped raining and shifted to snow then started to clear. Ran out to local park about 500m away from home with the Leica WATE lens and got off just a few shots before it started snowing again. Last shots have OOF water drops from melted snow on lens so I quit. I posted a "clearing storm" shot done at the infinity setting and one of a fallen spruce tree (happened within the last week - we had storm force winds along with the rain) on my flickr site here:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/46200143552/in/photostream/
Both shots at 16mm and f/8.

WATE = wide angle Tri Elmar. It is a 16-21mm zoom lens with detents at 16, 18, and 21mm.

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2018, 00:38:33 »
A few quick shots with the 400/5.6, handheld, leaning on a wall.

I find it quite handholdable. 100% and 200% zoom are useable despite the stabilization shake. At first, it was strange to not see the image becoming stable when VR kicks in but I easily got used to it. I did shoot this in "real life" conditions, as I would be out in the woods with little time to focus. Absolutely no esthetic consideration, my only goal was to assess how stabilization and focus work.

Thanks a lot for those shots. It certainly looks as though the Z6/Z7 work really well with those old lenses.

Hermann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2018, 00:51:00 »
Sure, I'll do it tomorrow. Now off for a nightcap and a book.

Very easy, took me 10 minutes once I had the parts and figured out how to do it.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2018, 04:57:10 »
https://youtu.be/La9wHvWLPT8

Just thought I'd share.  Video from Z6 and 24-70S.
No grading or sharpening.  Transitions and slow motion done in premiere elements 2019.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2018, 20:14:45 »
The unbelievable happened: I got my Z6 this afternoon, after it being in transit  in a seemingly never-ending loop between Oslo and my small home town for nearly 2 weeks now. Back and forth. Back and forth. I finally managed to track its whereabouts today and managed to intercept the parcel at a crucial point so I could lay my hands on it. An idiocy generated by PostNord, certainly the most incompetent carrier in northern Europe.

My complaints about the missing delivery even were escalated to Nikon Europe and only then I managed to get a tracking number in order to unravel the mystery.

Oh well. It is here, charging its battery and waiting to be decorated with a bright green "6" numeral to differentiate it against my Z7, which carries a corresponding red "7".  The advantages of surplus nail polish :D

Tomorrow I'll drop by my Nikon dealer in Oslo and pick up the 50/1.8 S waiting for me there. It'll be interesting to learn how it behaves.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2018, 21:10:02 »
As the z6 is slowly getting in my workflow I´ll be interested in your opinion about their strengths and shortcomings compared to each other. Specially if you find any difference in the af behavior, high iso capabilities, and what those extra pixels are worth.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2018, 21:12:59 »
Those points were already foremost in my mind, Paco.

I do hope the Z6 will be the day-to-day work machine, in combination with my Df,  and the Z7 conveniently set up to do mainly close-ups & photomacrography in the studio.