Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316217 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2018, 17:09:04 »
The 'Z' adapter for the mighty Oude Delft Rayxar 65 mm f/0.75 lens is now ready and I gave it a spin today.

Meet my friendly neighbour, Smret from Eritrea. She thought -3C was very cold and had attired accordingly. A perfect test subject for the 65/0.75.

(Z7, entire frame, downscaled)
Beautiful portrait

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2018, 19:02:26 »
Spiegel im Spiegel (or mirrorless on mirrorless)

The hauntingly beautiful almost unendurably meditative work "Spiegel im Spiegel" by Estonian composer Arvo Pärt emanates from my loudspeakers. I'm trying the 11-27.5 Nikkor (CX) on my Z7. There is control neither of aperture nor focusing, of course, but the combination makes an image never the less.

If you are not familiar with this music, try here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4LlCtvgwE

Thank you for the link, Birna.  I know some pieces by Arvo Pärt and have attended a press meeting with him in Tokyo.  But this serene piece was new to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2018, 19:55:43 »
What was I thinking...  ::) ;D ;D ;D

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2018, 21:06:40 »
Have to be careful with the speed of the camera. Tried out my first rehearsal with the z6 today. 1186 images and some video, normal and 120 fps. 20% of battery left by the way. No problem I could tell with fluorescent light with silent shutter at 1/400-1/640. Auto flicker reduction on.

Question: is there much difference, if at all, shooting 12bit vs 14bits when shooting iso 1600 and above?

Have to figure out how to make the af work for dancers. Trying af-c area kind of work but have to get use to it. Auto everything I have to get use to also. Today I finally got to experience the learning curve coming from a d750 and d500

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2018, 22:20:11 »
I'm in the same situation.  I need to find some valid subjects for testing out the AF-C.  AF-S I'm perfectly happy with.
Just, this time of year - those opportunities for me are few and far between.  I might have to just go out and track some moving cars in traffic or something.   lol
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2018, 22:46:36 »
I'm in the same situation.  I need to find some valid subjects for testing out the AF-C.  AF-S I'm perfectly happy with.
Just, this time of year - those opportunities for me are few and far between.  I might have to just go out and track some moving cars in traffic or something.   lol

Isn't AF-C where Hogan reported that he had AF problems when the subject was in shade and the background was in the Sun?
Carl

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2018, 23:26:12 »
Yes.

My specific problem so far is with where the camera starts to focus. The whole area in auto is to unpredictable and the smaller ones are slow to move around.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2018, 23:27:41 »
Towards the evening the promised snow fall commenced. I spent an enjoyable hour driving my little red car on snow-filled slippery roads, with the car stereo at full blast doing Marek Bilinski: "Po Drugiej Stronie Światła"* from the album ''E = MC2''. Haven't had this much fun in a long time, very invigorating and a reminder of why I love this country so much.

Snow depicted with Z7 + FTZ + 200/2 AFS (800 ISO, f/2, 1/10 sec, hand held).
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvCmmXUr36E

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2018, 23:32:40 »
Isn't AF-C where Hogan reported that he had AF problems when the subject was in shade and the background was in the Sun?

I believe so, but I never use the fully automated focusibg modes.  I'm normally in either single point or d9 or d25.  Maybe group sometimes on the D500. 

So if single point AF-C and the d9 equivalent are good, that is my question.  And even then, this is going to be the wide to medium lensed camera.  The D500 is going to be doing the heavy lift for for tracking action.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #249 on: December 06, 2018, 23:42:51 »
I believe so, but I never use the fully automated focusibg modes.  I'm normally in either single point or d9 or d25.  Maybe group sometimes on the D500. 

So if single point AF-C and the d9 equivalent are good, that is my question.  And even then, this is going to be the wide to medium lensed camera.  The D500 is going to be doing the heavy lift for for tracking action.

Gotcha, thanks. I have enjoyed the Z examples that you've posted, keep 'em coming!   :)
Carl

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2018, 00:47:09 »
Birna, bravo. Again

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2018, 01:06:44 »
Thanks everyone for the extensive feedback and excess temptation....  :)

I stopped by our local Best Buy and they had a Z6 on display.  Handled it, loved it and ordered one with the 24-70 and FTZ adapter on the spot. I should be able to pick it up at the store next Friday when I am back in town.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:59 »
B, ZZZ0411 is fascinating  ....my eyes know what they are looking at but don't want to see. I have settled on it being a close up of polar bear fur in a snowstorm.
I have gone back to the image a few times and now that is all I can see. And yes I realise I am talking utter nonsense.

The photograph in fact freezes a reality our eyes can only partially glimpse. Well done!

Cheers
Bez

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2018, 02:41:17 »
BEZ

I absolutely see the polar bear fur as well. Fun one

Randy

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2018, 08:41:39 »
It's like a van Gogh painting. Especially under the lantern.
Same for I'm returning again and again to this image. Vert, very beautiful!!
Chris Dees