Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316083 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2018, 04:52:22 »
I note that the shutter speed was 1/500th.  This kind of frozen partial display illumination is not unexpected at that shutter speed, be it global, rolling electronic, or traveling slit.  The capture of this source might look radically different at 1/60, for example.

true.  given the lighting and that I was using the Nikon 300/4.5 AI lens, I wanted to keep the shutter speed realistic to an actual shooting condition.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2018, 05:49:29 »
As Keith mentioned, strange things happen with projectors & fast shutter speeds.

chambeshi

« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2018, 07:16:56 »
In reply to Woody, whose post has now dropped back a page.  Just want to make sure that someone says what an engaging picture the photo of the little monkey is.  Didn't want it to disappear into the thread without trace.

Other than that, don't own a Z6 or Z7, no plan to buy one.  But will be glad to come back to all this information some time in the indefinite future if that seems like a good idea.

John

Thank You :-)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2018, 00:13:45 »
   I have used the z6 and d750 today side by side with the 24-70 2.8 vr. There is a big difference  in how both bodies handle the same lens. Z6 files look much clear, more spot on with the autofocus and I don´t know if there is some auto twerking of the images but the also make the same lens look sharper  ??? Anyone has this kind of experience with this or other lenses?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2018, 02:11:25 »
   I have used the z6 and d750 today side by side with the 24-70 2.8 vr. There is a big difference  in how both bodies handle the same lens. Z6 files look much clear, more spot on with the autofocus and I don´t know if there is some auto twerking of the images but the also make the same lens look sharper  ??? Anyone has this kind of experience with this or other lenses?

D750 still has an AA filter, while Z6 doesn't.  That could make difference.  Z6 has the advantage of focusing simply because it focuses on the sensor itself.  That said, I would check out the AF adjustment of D750 and/or the lens.  Yes, Z6 doesn't need such a procedure, which is one of the great advantages of mirrorless system.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2018, 02:42:55 »
I thought the z6 did have low pass filter and z7 didn't. I'm going to look into af adjustment but I also tried the d750 with live view af and manual focus with 100%magnification, still difference.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2018, 03:25:06 »
D750 still has an AA filter, while Z6 doesn't.  That could make difference.  Z6 has the advantage of focusing simply because it focuses on the sensor itself.  That said, I would check out the AF adjustment of D750 and/or the lens.  Yes, Z6 doesn't need such a procedure, which is one of the great advantages of mirrorless system.

I believe the Z6 DOES have an AA filter, while the Z7 DOES NOT.   I feel that any sharpness gain between images is more likely due to focus accuracy of the contrast detect systems being able to fine tune the exact focus on the sensor plane.

I've noticed this on all the mirrorless cameras I've used.  If you can dial in the PDAF on a DSLR with AF fine tune, they tend to not have any difference worth mentioning.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2018, 12:50:18 »
I thought the z6 did have low pass filter and z7 didn't. I'm going to look into af adjustment but I also tried the d750 with live view af and manual focus with 100%magnification, still difference.

I believe the Z6 DOES have an AA filter, while the Z7 DOES NOT.   I feel that any sharpness gain between images is more likely due to focus accuracy of the contrast detect systems being able to fine tune the exact focus on the sensor plane.

I've noticed this on all the mirrorless cameras I've used.  If you can dial in the PDAF on a DSLR with AF fine tune, they tend to not have any difference worth mentioning.

My bad!  I confirmed that Z6 does have an AA filter.  Sorry for the confusion!   :-[
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2018, 15:12:43 »
The 'Z' adapter for the mighty Oude Delft Rayxar 65 mm f/0.75 lens is now ready and I gave it a spin today.

Meet my friendly neighbour, Smret from Eritrea. She thought -3C was very cold and had attired accordingly. A perfect test subject for the 65/0.75.

(Z7, entire frame, downscaled)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2018, 15:21:23 »
Very nice portrait. The oof borders are from lens or pp?
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2018, 15:24:30 »
Straight off the camera. No extras ....

Do remember the nominal aperture is f/0.75. Thus forget about 'DOF' - it doesn't exist.

I take the opportunity to state that the shallow register distance (16mm) of the Z cameras really makes a difference when one experiments adding exotic lenses to it. I could make the 65mm focus further away, but vignetting would be very severe and the danger of snagging the shutter curtain is not to be ignored.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2018, 16:00:16 »
Spiegel im Spiegel (or mirrorless on mirrorless)

The hauntingly beautiful almost unendurably meditative work "Spiegel im Spiegel" by Estonian composer Arvo Pärt emanates from my loudspeakers. I'm trying the 11-27.5 Nikkor (CX) on my Z7. There is control neither of aperture nor focusing, of course, but the combination makes an image never the less.

If you are not familiar with this music, try here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4LlCtvgwE

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2018, 16:45:04 »
Thank you for this link  -  yes, the music is indeed hauntingly beautiful.  A nice track to finish what has been a difficult day, not helped at all by 36 Deg C summer temperatures.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2018, 16:51:38 »
Outside now is -6C. Perhaps there will be snow. We live indeed in different worlds ...

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2018, 17:05:19 »

you meant tweaking ?

Pretty sure if the camera was doing auto twerking it will be rather difficult to use it hand held  ;D ;D ;D

ps: sorry couldn't resist using the typo for a funny comment
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3