Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316052 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:04 »
That's good news, almost makes getting a Z camera worth it in itself. Thanks for sharing.
Yes. agree.  Thanks for the test !!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2018, 12:17:40 »
This was bound to happen ... been experimenting with the Oude Delft Rayxar 50mm f/0.75 this morning. Adapting it to the Z is not that difficult once one has the factory mount, finding a useful balance between image rendition, area covered, and crazy bokeh is another matter. Eventually I decided to position the lens slightly further away from the sensor plane than the minimum possible. Firstly, this protects the shutter curtain from being snagged, secondly, one gets better coverage across the frame and less vignetting.

I can insert a thin 52mm thread ring to move the lens even farther out, if deemed necessary. At the same time, keeping a 52mm thread at its rear end allows using the lens on my DSLRs as before with a CPU inserted as well.

The lens casts the view through it into a pretty psychodelic experience. I need some time to adjust. However examples will follow in due time. Now off to do other pressing chores.

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:11 »
Another (semi-)legendary lens in the 'exotics' department is the Rodenstock 100 mm f/1.6. This has been a beloved lens for creating dreamingly blurry close-ups, when the lens is mounted on any ordinary DSLR. However, with the arrival of the Z range, this lens might be a better (in optical terms) performer.

My Rodenstock-Z adapter is again on the tinkering stage, but with the inclusion of a newly arrived helicoid, I could do a few night shots. It *will* focus to infinity on the Z camera, and it *will* deliver sharpness across the entire range. Good news for the owners of this heavy piece of glass.

The fluorescent lights in this night scene produce some blue colour fringing that probably would disappear under a better balanced light regime. Otherwise sharpness appears to be excellent and the bokeh qualities are exquisite.

ISO on the respective image (the one of the little ball bing outside your apartment) was??
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2018, 12:22:52 »
ISO 3200.

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2018, 12:38:55 »
ISO 3200.
Thanks!😊
I saw that blue fringing on some poles at the ball bing, is this a JPEG??
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2018, 12:46:02 »
Yes, I'm posting mainly jpgs here in this thread unless otherwise noted.

However, fluorescent lights can cause similar fringing with 'normal' lenses as well. The 35/1.4 Nikkor (MF) is a well-known example.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2018, 16:59:49 »
A fledgeling Bird Phoenix arising ... Z7, Oude Delft Rayxar 50mm f/0.75 (NEF processed in Photo Ninja 1.3.7).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2018, 23:07:26 »
Now we are talking! Beautiful executed I really like it  8)

Something that shows off the mirror less ability to use exotic lenses. Thanks B
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2018, 23:26:38 »
I'm proud that I managed to make the adapter without your usual assistance and guidance, Erik :D Other projects might not be equally easy to complete on my own, though. Assembling bits and pieces for the various combinations these days.

The bokeh of that 50/0.75 is really special.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2018, 13:34:32 »
Birna, that is what I am talking about!
I suppose the Rodenstock TV Heligon 42/0.75 would be a prime/better match for the Z7?
I remember you telling me how it woud have been better on a C-mount...

Have you tried the wireless capabilities of the Z7. I know you don't carry a smart phone, but how about transfering files to your laptop?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2018, 13:57:39 »
Don't have a 42 Rodenstock any more, or equivalently, cannot find it .... I do have other exotica that could be brought to bear on the Z's, though.

For file transfer, an XQD card reader is the solution. I wouldn't bother with wi-fi for that task.

As to the Rodenstock 100/1.6, I found it's so heavy that a helicoid mounted between it and the camera easily will jam due to the leverage effect of the optics. The 100/1.5 is much heavier than the f/1.6,  believe it or not, and would be hopeless to operate unless it is sunk into a large helicoid.

chambeshi

« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2018, 14:30:29 »
I shot my D850 and Z7 intensively over 10 days earlier this month in Kruger Nat Park. The Z7 can indeed perform as a superb wildlife camera. No surprises here as it's very well suited to take portraits under decent conditions...

But too often I experience the Z7 AF missing subjects. and not only moving subjects, which the D850 rarely misses. The reasons appear to be shortfalls in AF algorithms and/or setup of the Z7 compared to the excellent AF in Nikon's DSLRs (see commentary on the WWW - notably Thom Hogan's Z7 Blog). Hopefully, a Firmware can fix at least some of these Z AF options/implementations. Too often I find in single-point Mode on AFC, the Z7 will lock on to extraneous objects adjacent to the subject. This can be a twig / branch etc close to the subject. This factor is a photo-killer - lost opportunity in each case. The area of the AF cursor in the respective Single-point modes of the Z7 and D850 are very similar (if not identical); obviously, the relative coverage of the subject by the AF point is contingent on shooting distance and magnification.

Yes, Pin-Focus mode in these Z Nikons - via the EVF - gives one the advantage over a DSLR. It can drill on to the tiniest detail in the subject; but Pin-Mode is confined to the slower AFS mode. I find AFS too risky to try and rely on where there's the chance a subject moves suddenly....

These recent experiences comparing these 2 top end cameras has reinforced my decision to keep my D850. The Z7 is excellent in so many ways... the best for my needs for landscape and remote shooting. The silent shutter is a boon. But, instead of a Z6 as backup and 3rd body, the 2019 plan is to search out a Used bargain of a 2nd D850. Some examples of more obliging subjects not obscured by clutter (both Nikon Z7 + 70-200 f2.8E FL Nikkor):

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2018, 17:32:52 »
I have had my Z6 for several days now, and went walking this morning (southern Michigan.)  We had a recent heavy wet snow, with lots of interesting subjects .  I was struck by this tree, that made me think of a snow covered ent sleeping in the forest.  I can almost see the large hands, bowed head.  I was quiet so as to not disturb him.

Z6 with 24-70 S,  f/4, ISO 100 1/400s.  Post converted to tiff and processed in Photoshop, Silver Efex pro.

I have really enjoyed the Z6 so far. One of my favorite features is the ability to assign the exposure compensation function to the focus ring on the lens.  Makes it so easy to adjust the exposure, and with the EVF, I can see what is happening, without having to chimp all the time.  I have other options for action shooting, but will give it a fair trial at my local bird sanctuary soon.

Cheers

Randy

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2018, 19:03:42 »
The big brother to the "small" Oude Delft 50mm f/0.75 Rayxar is the mighty 65mm f/0.75. Once again, not difficult to adapt to the Z provided one has the required parts, but care is required as the lens is very heavy. It can be set to give focus 5-6m away, perhaps slightly more, but the danger of a conflict with the shutter curtain is great and there is heavy vignetting to restrict the useful imaged area. I decided to forego maximum distance and set the lens to focus approx. 1m away. That makes for coverage almost into the extreme corners plus not too bad sharpness distribution either. Although it is only fair to state that the Rayxar makes the concept of 'sharpness' highly relative. This lens is about bokeh, nothing else matters.

Thus, the 65/0.75 allows dreamlike portraits. No need to do any additional Phtoshopping at all :D

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2018, 19:30:12 »
Just ordered a Z6 + FTZ + 24-70
So the waiting started, with a little luck just before Christmas. ;D
Chris Dees