Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316136 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2018, 23:16:28 »
A Z camera in one end of the recording chain, at the other end? who knows.

dunno how you pictured this but the result is worth the effort
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2018, 00:59:06 »
dunno how you pictured this but the result is worth the effort

Tinkering with bits and pieces, Frank.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2018, 01:10:05 »
Proof of concept.

The M58-Z adapter was easy, but as usual in this line of business, one runs out of spare parts before anything is completed. Thus I had to improvise.

Z7, Oude Delft 65mm f/0.75, 1/200 sec, 1600 ISO in a really dark corner of my living room. Hand-holding this massive contraption without a finished adapter was not something I wish to to often .... There is no depth-of-field. None.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2018, 03:35:27 »
Picked up a Z6 + FTZ adapter set (not interested in the Z series lenses) this afternoon at a small 'brick and mortar' shop in 'the provinces' (at the main pro dealers in the Amsterdam/Rotterdam region this set already is on back order only a few days after the release date  8) )

As I don't plan to use the touch screen for changing the settings, just copied the options I have in the My Menu tab of my DSLR's (and a few extra for which the Z6 lacks the buttons) on the Z6
Must say it, maybe because of that,  feels very familiar already after only a very few hours (much or which I spent setting up the My Menu tab), and really like it

I didn’t think I’d be that interested in the new lenses either, but the 24-70 is pretty good.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:04 »

Having hard thoughts what to do with the DF though, love the 'form' of it, and the IQ/image rendering of its sensor, but fear it won't see use in the future anymore

Luxury problems :)
Blazing bright sunlight = Df.  Darker and darkness = Z6
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2018, 07:35:23 »
An example with the kit lens
811_0069

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:18 »
Photogenic rebar :D The 24-70/4 has a useful close focus.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2018, 09:29:01 »
This time of the year -- always a surprise for the car drivers.

Z7, 24-70/4.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2018, 18:21:37 »
Just checked my older A/C power solutions for the Z7. In studio, for stacking and similar tedious operations, I regularly use D8xxx with various A/C power adapters (EH-5/EH-B; rated 9V 4500mA) and a battery insert EP-5 of various incarnations, latest I believe was engraved EP-5b. Same setup will work with V1(!), D500, and now verified, also for Z7.

As my future plans for Z7 would be using it mainly for close-up and photomacrographic work, it's good to know the camera can safely be run on unlimited A/C. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2018, 18:50:17 »
All Nikon users are, or should be, familiar with the legendary David D. Duncan and his importance as the kickstarter of Nikon's appeal world wide. If you don't know the story, this http://blog.iamnikon.com/en_GB/pro-photographers/david-douglas-duncan-nikon/ should give an idea.

The Nikkor lens DDD "discovered" and used for the coverage of the Korean War was 8.5 cm f/2 Nikkor-P, which of course is a rangefinder lens. For me, coupling up this lens to the latest Nikon was a fascinating thought, however I tried it on a Sony A7 series quickly abandoned for the camera's poor handling, and it was a bit longish for my 1 Nikons although I made the adapter for RF(S) Nikkor to CX and used the combination once in a while. Still didn't *feel* right. Something was amiss.

Yesterday I picked up the spare Z mounts and made a makeshift RF(S)->Z just so I could ascertain what could be achieved. Not a permanent solution and there are mechanical issues to sort out, but that can wait for later.

Finally, my copy of the RF 8.5cm f/2 lens mounted on the Z and I quickly took a snapshot out the kitchen window. Light levels were low as usual so the Z7 ran at 3200 and 6400 ISO.

The image below is not, by any stretch of imagination, noteworthy for its photographic quality, but for me it proves the legendary 8.5cm Nikkor really had *something* about it.

My copy is from early '50s, presumably around 1953 thus is a respectable 65 years of age and works silky smooth too.

Whole frame and 100% crop from the focused area in the centre. The latest incarnation of Photo Ninja can now handle Z7 thus was used here with the NEF.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2018, 18:55:02 »
Anyone have any idea why Nikon is listing that the 35mm f/2.8 Nikkor-S Auto is not compatible with the FTZ adapter?   Is it incapable of mounting or is there something I should know different?   My curiosity is to protect myself from damaging the adapter.

Also, one thing to not do....download the UPS Mobile app and then get sucked into watching the delivery truck bop about your neighborhood, get within 2 streets of your house, only to see it in the next minute to go the other direction and be 10 streets away!  LOL  Damn you,technology!   :D

If there's anything that I'm good at it's doing that which I should not do, so naturally I DLed the UPS Mobile app. I have, up until now, managed to ignore the prompts from UPS claiming that I needed this app. Of course that was before you told me not to do it!

Since I have a 35mm AF-S G on it's way here, by way of what seems like a slow boat from China (actually UPS ground from Adorama), I find my patience growing slimmer by the minute! Now I will get to follow the delivery van though our city's nefarious unexpected delays such as red lights, accidents, and other assorted traffic impediments.  I'm not sure that I'm up to this much drama, maybe i should not have opted to go with free delivery. Aaaaaarrgh!
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2018, 22:11:00 »
Carl: I am still asking myself what has a F-mount lens delivery to do with Nikon's mirrorless system?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2018, 22:16:17 »
Carl: I am still asking myself what has a F-mount lens delivery to do with Nikon's mirrorless system?

It's not exactly on topic, just a response to Andrew's post about waiting for his Z stuff.
Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2018, 22:58:37 »
Excitement is the common denominator, Frank ... Although AFS-G is "old hat" now, these lenses still fit the Z range :D

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2018, 23:10:21 »
Entering the tinkering and playing-with-components stage in my exploration of the Z range now.

Unfortunately, I'm going tomorrow on an already scheduled trip thus have to leave all the stuff and possibilities for some days. This is a social call on behalf of the transgender community hence photography plays no major part in it.

Fortunately, as more and more of our members get their Z cameras, information on the new range can be updated from alternative sources meanwhile.