Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316115 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 11:34:00 »
Lloyd Chambers reported that his 35/1.8S had a bad left side; I wouldn't trust conclusions about focus shift from that lens.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:13 »
Lloyd Chambers reported that his 35/1.8S had a bad left side; I wouldn't trust conclusions about focus shift from that lens.

Could well be related issues. My copy of the 35/1.8S is sharp into the corners at f/1.8, and with negligible field curvature to boot.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 11:45:15 »
My copy of the 35/1.8S is sharp into the corners at f/1.8, and with negligible field curvature to boot.

My second copy has the same behaviour, sharp into the corners at f/1.8 including landscape distance (my first copy had a bad right side at landscape distance).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 13:01:20 »
My foolography did not arrive yet...

Frank: contact Foolography directly, do not use the forum for suchlike stuff

feel free to delete this. I am frustrated. already lost 1000€ on the bankrupt Meyer Optic Görlitz this year
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 14:47:13 »
Five axis of stabilisation is no guarantee for sharp images ... from a sequence on fake christmas trees which populate the city at present.

Shutter speeds varied from 1/20 to 1/40 sec, some came out perfect, others were -- well  -- not so sharp :D

Z7, 35/1.8 S, 800 ISO, VR on, jpgs from camera unaltered except downsizing/cropping and a change to sRGB for display. No sharpening.

Note to self (added): apparently, mirrorless cameras are no guarantee against my usual -1.5 degree of camera tilt either...

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2018, 15:37:23 »
Oh dear - I too often have this issue.  I have resorted to programming one of the buttons on my cameras to display the levels (i.e. where the camera offers an electronic spirit level capability).

I have often wondered why manufacturers do not record the angle of tilt in the EXIF data so we can easily correct the tilt in each image where it is not desired.

Note to self (added): apparently, mirrorless cameras are no guarantee against my usual -1.5 degree of camera tilt either...
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2018, 15:58:54 »
Oh dear - I too often have this issue.  I have resorted to programming one of the buttons on my cameras to display the levels (i.e. where the camera offers an electronic spirit level capability).

I have often wondered why manufacturers do not record the angle of tilt in the EXIF data so we can easily correct the tilt in each image where it is not desired.

I do the rotation in Photo Ninja - just plug in the "correct" angle and all is well. I'm surprisingly consistent as the numerical correction ranges from -1.3 to -1.6 degrees. I tried the level indicator in the finder as this feature is available of many of my cameras, but it bothers me more than helps.  For tripod shooting the level can be helpful, though.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 16:06:19 »
Another example of the manner in which the Z7 handles massive contrasts and mixed light sources. This is an advertising billboard with built-in backlight contrasting the dull, wet and bleak streets surrounding it. Advertising is for a skiing holiday in the Norwegian mountains, which could be an escape from the grim reality of today. However sufficient snow in those alpine regions will not be present for months?

Focusing this scene was a breeze with the easily moveable AF points on the Z7. Jpgs as before.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 17:04:18 »
I do the rotation in Photo Ninja - just plug in the "correct" angle and all is well. I'm surprisingly consistent as the numerical correction ranges from -1.3 to -1.6 degrees. I tried the level indicator in the finder as this feature is available of many of my cameras, but it bothers me more than helps.  For tripod shooting the level can be helpful, though.

All my Nikon cameras display a view in the OVF that is tilted compared with reality. This becomes apparent when keeping both eyes open (which I often do). Quite annoying.
Airy Magnien

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2018, 18:15:17 »
Well....good news....NikonUSA charged my credit card this morning for my Z6.   Just waiting for the website to get updated order/tracking information.

Unless they ship it overnight (I highly doubt it), I'm guessing the Z6 and 24-70/4S should be in my hands Monday or Tuesday of next week.

/EXCITED!!
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 19:12:02 »
Haven't seen anything of the sort. The images so far have been crisply focused precisely as intended.

Thank you, Birna.  Whatever the idiosyncracies of the very first Z models may be, to me the lenses are a larger concern.  Bodies are refreshed much more often than lenses.  Past shortcomings with bodies have often been corrected in later models, which is why I purchased a D810 rather than a D800.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 19:34:01 »
Well....good news....NikonUSA charged my credit card this morning for my Z6.   Just waiting for the website to get updated order/tracking information.

Unless they ship it overnight (I highly doubt it), I'm guessing the Z6 and 24-70/4S should be in my hands Monday or Tuesday of next week.

/EXCITED!!

Do feel free to contribute to this thread when you lay hands on your own Z camera, Andrew. The more input the better.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 20:07:02 »
Do feel free to contribute to this thread when you lay hands on your own Z camera, Andrew. The more input the better.

I’ve been told I’ll have one on Monday - with the kit zoom. Looking forward to testing and publishing findings.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 20:15:57 »
So do we all.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 20:24:42 »

Absolutely.  I plan on putting the Z kit up against the D750 with 24-70/2.8G, then running the Z with the FTZ and all the lenses I have that will mount on the adapter.   Might take me a few days to do it all justice, but I will get there!  :D
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)