Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316182 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #840 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00:16 »
Interesting to read all these comments about the Z cameras.

What are the overall views about the Zs as compared with their DSLR near equivalents?  Which do people prefer, and why?
Anthony Macaulay

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2019, 11:03:57 »
So is the Z6 a worthy successor to the venerable Df, or is the Df still safe in its special ecosphere?

I pose this question with general handling in mind, image quality, and in respect of the pros and cons of how these two cameras can utilise MF lenses (with and without metering CPUs).

TIA to those with both Df and Z6/7 experiences.

Edit:  Anthony's question and mine have overlapped in timing and have some commonalities - maybe both could be answered together?
Hugh Gunn

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2019, 11:18:44 »
I got such accustomed to the Df, since 2014, that any response may be biased by my own inertia. It is not about hostility to change or aversion against EVFs - I have started using Olympus cameras some years ago and found them a delight; it's just that m43 sensors imply a bit more "chemistry" and the results are not as rich as a full-frame RAW file.

Access to ISO and, above all, exposure compensation is much easier on Z6/7; to me, the latter is a big plus. I was never enchanted by the handling of exposure compensation on Df.

Manual focus is, I'd say, a draw - Z7 can achieve critical focus with more ease than the Df (zooming in the EVF is better than zooming on the rear screen in live view mode), but under less critical circumstances, the Df seems a bit easier to focus.

I have the impression that, for a Df owner, there is no compelling reason to switch to Z6/7, except you'd badly need the extra pixels or the extra dynamic range. Another reason could be, the 50/1.8 Z and its intrinsic qualities - that lens has no real F-mount equivalent.
Airy Magnien

chambeshi

« Reply #843 on: April 28, 2019, 11:50:26 »
The Z focus-peaking does much - in fact far better with MF lenses. I prefer the Z control layout too but probably this is a bias from enjoying the haptics of the D500 and now the D850. The loss of Image-protect button is a BIG -ve, and quite a few users find these MILCs are short of a Fn button.

Although the D4 sensor in the Df is legendary, posted images and tests reveal the Z6 has the edge over the Df in lowlight: at least as far as less noise. The IQ out of the Z7 is exquisite, especially at an ISO < 1600. I rate the Z7 be best camera for landscape photography. The silent shutter of the Z MILCs is a boon for many of my sensitive wildlife subjects.

Another big negative is the FTZ does not write the aperture setting into exif. There is no AI ring. Some users may try and diminish this gap in backward compatibility. But I find it irritating, especially in an adapter that costs more than the 50 f1.8AFD, which BTW does not AF on a Z MILC. There is no support of S'driver AF either. However, although the cpu in a MF lens (AIP also) registers all the exif data.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #844 on: April 28, 2019, 17:36:51 »
A Pink Lady is not a Granny Smith.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:52 »
Airy, interesting  :) , I have pretty much decided that if I can get the funds together, without selling the Df, I will get the Z6.  IBIS is not a huge deal since I shoot mostly people so not low shutter speeds.  :) .  I've been using both EVF and OVF for some years now.  For travel I will probably continue to use my collection of Leica M mount lenses (small size and weight) .  Have used Sony a7xx for the past few years, any quirks with the Z6 should not be a problem  ;)
Thanks for posting
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #846 on: April 29, 2019, 14:07:43 »
Tom
I’ve now got a Z7 and for me it handles far better than the A7II. The EVF is really quite good - almost invisible so much so that I often do not notice that it is not optical. In addition, it really goes not get in the way of shooting unlike the Sony where I seemed to always notice a lag and I struggled with all the buttons that I didn’t spend enough time adjusting to. The battery life is massive compared to my Sony.

The files are VERY malleable - you will especially appreciate the skin tones in black and white that you do so well. What you may also find is that IBIS does actually make a big deal. 100% view (I use this to gauge focusing accuracy) and the viewfinder jumps all over the place without. And I have pretty steady hands too...

However, when I pick up the Df it feels great and the mechanical shutter is addictive. I’ve recently started using a rangefinder and am still struggling with it. Getting back to my Df is beautiful and comfortable. The Z7/6 and DSLR are complimentary and go well together. I’m glad I haven’t sold the SLRs yet.
JJ

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #847 on: April 29, 2019, 14:30:47 »
Thanks JJ, I really do not need another camera  ;) , I can get images I like with the Sony bodies but, for me, shooting has to be a pleasure/fun.  I still feel like I am continuously fighting with the a7rii (not so much with a7iii) .  At the moment the D500 handles most Wildlife (birds) and Sport and the Df for other action event where the ISO is going to climb.  My Pen F is just a lot of fun to use for Street/Documentary.
So I would like the Z6 just to see if it is more enjoyable to use.  If so, then my wife will get the a7iii which she already uses and my son will continue to use the a7rii for his course (which involves Vids) .  His EM1 is not strong on Vids.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #848 on: April 29, 2019, 23:29:51 »
I was happy to trade in my Df on a Z7. Several factors were at work when I made the decision. I liked the Df just fine. I hated the grips. Which I found a tad contrary as I much prefer my Leica M’s, which have no grips at all!, for the same type of shooting. But you hold them entirely differently so I suppose it was an ergonomic thing.
I rented a Z7 first before buying. As I have aged the weight thing has become a bit of an obsession. While there is a lot to like with the Z7 - the EVF is life changing as is the ability to zoom in with the viewfinder - the IBIS made it possible to get rid of my heavy tripod and ball head. Now I can do landscape photography without having a long tripod and using the tiltable LCD on a shorter tripod.
So for me it has been a positive experience. Now if I can only find someone to take my D810 off my hands!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2019, 19:34:32 »
Some general thoughts from Df + Z6 user.

Moving zoom function to F1 and F2 buttons is essential. I use 200% and 50% and keep 100% on the Ok button. When I want really fine focus, 200% is more useful than 100%, when I have a moving target and just need a quick confirmation of focus 50% is more useful than 100%. I guess you can tell I never use 100%.

Poor Df is sitting on a shelf everyday while I take the Z6 with me everywhere. It took a month or so to convert me, but now I just don't see a reason to go back. Some situations I might still use Df - long trip without power would be one as Df battery lasts forever.

Here are the features of Z I appreciate most:
Zoomable finder. - Df optical finder looks better in many situations, but Z6 is functionally better for me.
Tilting rear screen - great for low/high angle shots which I'm quite fond of. Switching between viewers was painful at the beginning, but have gotten very used to it.
Histogram in EVF - better idea of what is being captured than the over-under mode of Df. Not perfect, but better.
IBIS - It really works and adds a stop or two even with manual non-VR lenses.
Video - Not present in Df

Some pain points remaining:
FTZ adapter works fine, but it is one more piece of gear.
No AI/AI-S aperture follower, so no aperture info available in viewfinder/EXIF
Battery life is not as long as the Df which lasts forever.

Both are wonderful, but the Z6 is working better for me right now.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #850 on: April 30, 2019, 22:42:36 »
One of the main differences between the Z cameras and DSLR's is startup time; nearly instantaneous for a Nikon DSLR but it takes a while for a Z. Also, in bright light it takes the EVF some time to brighten up. It takes time getting used to this and one has to anticipate for it.

In magnified mode the Z7 EVF has a rather slow frame rate, the Sony A7rIII competition is doing much much much better with respect to this.

Nikon really has to consider to get rid of the (rotational) speed-dependent manual focus with the focus-by-wire Z lenses; IMHO it makes very precise manual focussing too difficult. Luckily I don't need MF that often with these type of lenses.

The ILC market is not doing well at all. It is interesting to see how prices of both Z6 and Z7 have dropped during the last weeks.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #851 on: April 30, 2019, 23:16:25 »
Never encountered a fly-by-wire focusing lens that gave anything near the precision what a good MF lens (with long focus throw) could provide.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #852 on: April 30, 2019, 23:19:21 »
Never encountered a fly-by-wire focusing lens that gave anything near the precision what a good MF lens (with long focus throw) could provide.

Try a Sony 24/1.4GM or 85/1.4GM...

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #853 on: May 01, 2019, 00:02:01 »
One of the main differences between the Z cameras and DSLR's is startup time; nearly instantaneous for a Nikon DSLR but it takes a while for a Z.

This reminds me of how things were when Nikon first introduced digital cameras. Admittedly, the workings of new Z bodies are a total mystery to me, but, I'm surprised that a startup delay would once again become an issue after all of the time that has passed since then.
Carl

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #854 on: May 01, 2019, 04:07:11 »

I am interested in giving the Zs a whirl, haven't yet, but have never used a fly-by-wire that didn't feel terrible in comparison to mechanical.  I hope the new Noct isn't the only Z mount lens that will retain mechanically operated focus.
-Tristin