Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316276 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2018, 12:28:30 »
ot really done any in-depth testing for the high ISO speeds yet, plus Photo Ninja hasn't been updated to process Z6 NEFs (only does Z7 files). Thus I have to fall back on the jpgs and who knows how these have been doctored by the EXPEED 6 machinery inside the z6.

50K (51200) ISO is a calibrated setting and works pretty well as assessed from the jpgs.  Same can be said for the Hi ISO's, however colour saturation starts to decline and image noise is more visible. Still, the 100K(102400) ISO would be useful for the odd shot if required.

The 100k shots from the D5 are very useful if you switch off the Noise Reduction. I guess the Z6 should outperform the D5 in this respect.

Can you use the Capture NX-D for processing the Z6 files? After buying the D500 & D850 I really learned to appreciate NX-D for preprocessing, Photoshop CC for finishing

bill claaf has measured

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D5,Nikon%20Z%206,Nikon%20Z%207
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2018, 13:03:40 »
Picked up my copy of the 50/1.8 S-Line Nikkor last night and had occasion to pull off some shots in the darkness on my return home.

Short story, this is probably the best 50mm ever made by Nikon. Really wets my appetite for getting to know the 58mm f/0.95 Noct S due to arrive in early 2019 (and pre-ordered).

Sharpness extends all over the frame even with lens set to f/1.8, more or less the same behaviour as my 35/.8S. Handling of point light sources is excellent and coma is very low - my first impression is the new lens trounces the old faithful Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 in this respect. Early days yet, but I am enthusiastic about the 50.

Nikon Z6, 50/1.8S, f/1.8, 1/160 sec, 2500 ISO
Maybe the new lenses should be the reason for buying into the Z cameras, very nice quality, my 50/f1.2 would not make such a clean image even at f1.8

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2018, 16:24:48 »
Maybe the new lenses should be the reason for buying into the Z cameras, very nice quality, my 50/f1.2 would not make such a clean image even at f1.8

I am very happy with what I already own. Later a silent super high ISO camera like the Z6 might be an option. Not as an early adopter though...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2018, 20:11:49 »
Another question arised:

Is the distortion of the F-mount lenses (especially of the wide and standard zooms) corrected as default when mounted via FTZ adapter?  I'm pretty sure that the distortion of the native Z lenses are corrected as default, as with the mirrorless cameras of other brands.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2018, 13:08:36 »
There is a distortion control setting somewhere in the menus. I have turned it off.

Nikon Z6, 50/1.8S, f/1.8, 2500 ISO

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2018, 13:32:46 »
There is a distortion control setting somewhere in the menus. I have turned it off.

Thank you, Birna, for the confirmation.

Nice christmas tree a la Matisse style!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2018, 13:39:09 »
Another early afternoon test with the Z6/50mm f1.8 at f/1.8. 2500ISO.

In focus, then defocused. The nice blur circles contribute to the overall smooth bokeh. The "cat's eye" phenomenon is detectable, but gentle in appearance.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2018, 13:53:04 »
Looking forward to see the Z7/6 in Scotland  :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2018, 14:07:54 »
You certainly will, Bent. More than one of these, I wager a guess :D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2018, 14:18:54 »
Congratulations on the new Z6 and 1.st 50mm both looks like strong performers, the blur circles of the 50mm f/1.8 looks very large, please compare it to ordinary similar 50mm when you have time og course :)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2018, 14:38:03 »
Test with Z6 at various ISO (equivalence) settings.

Hi-2 200K ('204600')

Hi-1 100K ('102400')

50K ISO (51200)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2018, 14:47:17 »
Congratulations on the new Z6 and 1.st 50mm both looks like strong performers, the blur circles of the 50mm f/1.8 looks very large, please compare it to ordinary similar 50mm when you have time og course :)

Can someone explain to my how these "blur circles" (which I take are Circles of Confusion) work. By saying they are very large, is that good or bad, please?

Also, I am very interested in the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S NOCT. Where can one preorder it?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: December 14, 2018, 14:54:29 »
Blur circles are a function of the physical size of the aperture, its shape, *and* image magnification. Smooth blur circles that overlap make smooth out-of-focus rendition.

I have a pre-order of the 58/0.95 Noct via my personal Nikon contact at Nikon Nordic. The Nikon subsidiaries do not take normal pre-orders for this lens yet, as it still is on a prototype stage of development.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2018, 15:04:20 »
Blur circles are a function of the physical size of the aperture, its shape, *and* image magnification. Smooth blur circles that overlap make smooth out-of-focus rendition.

I have a pre-order of the 58/0.95 Noct via my personal Nikon contact at Nikon Nordic. The Nikon subsidiaries do not take normal pre-orders for this lens yet, as it still is on a prototype stage of development.

Thanks. So what does Erik's comment suggest by saying they are very large for the new 50mm S. Based on your comments, I am thinking of getting that lens. It is inexpensive enough for the quality that you suggest. And, most of my MANY lenses have been (in the past) at your suggestion. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2018, 15:05:36 »
Here are some samples from the Noct Nikkor F-Mount 58mm f/1.2 in the post its compare to the shorter focal lengt same aperture 50mm f/1.2 Ais at same camerea subject distance,,,
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3183.msg45381.html#msg45381

In the thread are several showcases of the Noct blur circle Bokeh, in fore and back grund.
We can hope the new Noct Z-Mount surpass this performance! It should since it's a real showcase Nikkor!
Erik Lund