Author Topic: Just Snagged a Nikon 135mm f/3.5 AI for cheap  (Read 3227 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Just Snagged a Nikon 135mm f/3.5 AI for cheap
« on: November 05, 2018, 15:30:28 »
I used to have the older Nikkor Q 135mm f/3.5, but there was an issue with the mount.  It would sometimes get "stuck" and just spin about...taking me quite some time to figure out what was going on with it and get it removed from cameras and adapters.

I took it back to the camera store I bought it and let them know the deal.  They agreed to take it, knowing what was wrong with it.  In it's place, they had recently got in a 135mm f/3.5 AI.  All in black with a built in lens hood.  Very nice specimen considering it's age.

From some initial tests it looks like it is a bit sharper than the older Q version, even wide open....especially in the "micro contrast" range.    I was sad to see the 135Q go, because I really liked the lens and the focal range....but I lucked out and got the AI to replace it.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that I'm really starting to enjoy manual focus lenses and less frantic shooting style, for lack of a better term.  The Df makes using these lenses a breeze and I can't wait to get the 135/3.5 AI adapted onto my Oly PEN-F.

The lens and some sample images to follow, from my initial outing.  The majority of the initial testing was shot either wide open or at f/4
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Just Snagged a Nikon 135mm f/3.5 AI for cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 16:14:40 »
Enjoy your 135 Nikkor. Manual lenses slow down the hectic pace of modern-day photography to the benefit of all. I use such lenses every day and love them.

The reason for the issue you described initially probably is a missing stop screw in the lens mount.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 16:55:29 »
Apparently, the lens is Ais, not Ai.  So, that should be an even better deal.  Congrats!

Love the saturation of the purple flowers!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 17:23:25 »
Df seems to be mother for all mf lenses ;)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 17:24:24 »
Apparently, the lens is Ais, not Ai.  So, that should be an even better deal.  Congrats!

Love the saturation of the purple flowers!

That is good.  I always forget how to tell the difference.  Isn't it the smallest aperture is an orange number if it is AIS?
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 20:27:42 »
Nice lens! The AI and AIS 135/3.5 are optically the same. I have the AI version, the focus throw is slightly longer although the focus throw of the AIS version is perfectly acceptable. The hood on the AI version also feels a little more solid when extended, and is slightly deeper. The AI version can be distinguished by the DOF lines above the chrome grab-ring, while on the AIS version they are on the chrome ring. The AIS version also has the minimum aperture in orange on the secondary ADR scale (it is white on the AI version). Note some AI lenses have the minimum aperture in orange also, but the ADR scale is always white.

This lens is very sharp even wide open. With only 4 elements, contrast is high. My main challenge is focusing it accurately enough to make the most of it. I have recently been shooting with the Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 (newer version) and my feeling is that it is not quite as sharp or contrasty as the AI version, but the rendition is a little smoother. The AI version also benefits from having a closer focus distance.

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 15:26:08 »
Just to echo the comments expressed...yes, the 135 3.5s (AI, AIS) are remarkably good...resolution, contrast, and handling. I have both versions, and generally prefer the AI, as the lens hood is firm in the extended position. Reviews occasionally suggest that the 135 2.8s and 2.0s, also available in AI and AIS, obtain equivalent resolution. However, ad hoc tests and general use suggest to me that the 3.5s are a little better.   

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 17:31:23 »
I liked the f/3.5 especially close up.  The best 135mm performer  I use(d) is  the 2.8 QC - Fine bokeh with good contrast. Better than the later versions.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 01:31:22 »
https://richardhaw.com/2018/02/18/repair-nikkor-135mm-f-3-5-ai/

i have all versions (except prototypes) ::)

its a great little lens. :o :o :o

very good image quality

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 01:50:37 »
In 1980, this lens was the only 'big' lens I could afford!  Still have it.  Great lens!  I have some great portraits with it.  It is a joy to use!
Frederick V. Ramsey

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 22:56:55 »
That is good.  I always forget how to tell the difference.  Isn't it the smallest aperture is an orange number if it is AIS?
Yes, for Nikon. It seems to be red on a Vivitar and green on a Tokina.  And if you look at the lens from behind, with the latching notch at the top, just to the right is a milled slot.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 00:32:10 »
Yes, for Nikon. It seems to be red on a Vivitar and green on a Tokina.  And if you look at the lens from behind, with the latching notch at the top, just to the right is a milled slot.

Thanks, that is more great information!!
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 00:38:28 »
Threw this on the Z6.  Worked extremely well.  Focus peaking did it's job and was able to acquired focus easily.
Andrew

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 01:02:00 »
f-stop?  :o :o :o

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:19 »
f-stop?  :o :o :o

Oh, sorry...lol

The guys on the roof were at f/8 and the other 2 were at f/4.
Andrew