Author Topic: My Yashica Y35 Review  (Read 2365 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
My Yashica Y35 Review
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:46:28 »
I tried to cut/paste my review here, but there were too many images, so I have to link.

https://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2018/11/yashica-y35-digifilm-camera-review.html?m=1

For those not wanting to link over there and read:

It's best to keep these kinds of projects in proper perspective

My unit seems to be working as advertised

If you are a pixel peeper, you'll hate this

If you like the lo-fi aesthetic, you'll appreciate what it provides

There is a lot of hate, most likely fueled by the long delays, poor communication by the manufacturer, and, well.... The internet blowing up about it
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: My Yashica Y35 Review
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 16:44:08 »
Nice blog, nice review of a weird contraption... ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 19:51:05 »
I like it for it is different; some of these comments on your blog are horrible as if people find pleasure in insulting others.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 21:05:26 »
A nice and well balanced user review.

"Digital film" has been thought of so many times the last  decades. The concept finally has materialised in a real camera.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 21:16:58 »
Very interesting and detailed review, Andrew!

Does the film advance lever thingie work as a thumb grip?  If so, that is the feature shared by the latest Leica M10-D!  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:45:30 »
Very interesting and detailed review, Andrew!

Does the film advance lever thingie work as a thumb grip?  If so, that is the feature shared by the latest Leica M10-D!  :D

It must be actuated after you depress the shutter each time to take a picture, so it is fictional to the operation.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:46:29 »
I like it for it is different; some of these comments on your blog are horrible as if people find pleasure in insulting others.

If you think those are bad, you should see what they are saying over at Kickstarter. My blog is mild in comparison.
Andrew

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 11:43:05 »
Gave me some memories about my first SLR, a Yashica TL. I had very good experiences with it, until I had enough money to switch for a Nikon F2, and staying with Nikon for about 45 years now 😊
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 00:08:57 »
Interesting camera and a seemingly even handed review.  I don't understand the idea of the digiFilm cassettes.  Couldn't those four presets be easily implemented internally and accessed/triggered via menu or mechanical switch? 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 00:46:43 »
Andrew, your review read fine to me. 

Some years ago, RICOH went in a different direction with its GXR whereby each lens unit had its own sensor and shutter and the body simply handled data storage, display, viewfinder operations.  Some of the lenses had different sensor sizes, so it was a case of thinking of field of view rather than focal length per se when the selection of a lens for a shoot was being made.

EDIT:  link to RICOH GXR camera  -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricoh_GXR
Hugh Gunn

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 00:51:41 »
Interesting camera and a seemingly even handed review.  I don't understand the idea of the digiFilm cassettes.  Couldn't those four presets be easily implemented internally and accessed/triggered via menu or mechanical switch?

They could have.  But if they are internal, then firmware updates would need to be done to add new, or if in a switch, you are limited to the number of switches.

With the cartridge system, you can have the potential of unlimited types just by switching them. It also fits in with the analog type effect in the handling.  Just like in the analog days, you want a different film type, just switch them out.
Andrew

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 17:07:49 »
Yes, and the cartridge could become a CARDridge using, wait for it, a second card slot!  If one of the giants jumped on board, would the others quickly follow, in a SOFT or HARD revolution? :)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 19:53:32 »
Yes, and the cartridge could become a CARDridge using, wait for it, a second card slot!  If one of the giants jumped on board, would the others quickly follow, in a SOFT or HARD revolution? :)

Right....but then you'd need a screen of some sort, which the camera does not have either.    Addition of these option would only drive up the cost, which given what it is, I doubt the market would handle much more of an increase.

many people were wanting this to be a metal camera with an APS-C sensor...but for the price, that was never going to happen.

I've always thought that if someone put out a bare bones camera:

Metal body with a 35mm or 50mm attached lens
Basic exposure modes, manual focus
digital APS-C with comparable IQ of our current APS-C market and charged between $500 and $800, they would sell quite a bit.  I'm one that has migrated from an early mindset of needing all the newest gear, the sharpest IQ possible and the most FPS to someone that is more interested in the shooting experience.  Capturing that ONE great shot out of a million possible shots that has some kind of meaning, tells a story.

I think that is why I like shooting more manual focus now.    I'm concentrating more on the process, I'm deliberate, I like the way that the older lenses and coatings render images.  There is something that feels more organic and analog about it.  Much less clinical than the penultimate of sharpness, micro contrast of the modern optics.
Andrew