Author Topic: D5 vs D4s - AF performance  (Read 4675 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: D5 vs D4s - AF performance
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 10:36:08 »
Thanks 🙂,

What about dynamic range at low iso - some say it’s rather poor in that «area»?

I have no complaints about the dynamic range (DR) with the D5. Anyway, the maximum exploitable DR is about 10 EV with the best screens available, and significantly lower on printed matter. Maybe, one should be a little bit more precise when exposing (i.e. compared to the D4s). Since this summer, I have now also a D850; and to be frank, I do not notice significant DR differences (again with the subjects I treat).

Example of High DR photo, taken with a D5, last week:

https://mfloyd.prodibi.com/a/6lxzle9vk6erjo/i/9oqg0dqgdkr9ov

(click to enlarge)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:22 »
I suspect the window for a D5s has closed and the D6 is likely to be the next model in this series, due before the 2020 Olympics.

I suspect not, as a hybrid viewfinder would require some loss of image quality in the optical viewfinder (there would have to be a window in the coating for the light from the EVF to enter the prism, which would then mean some light loss in the "normal" optical path). In terms of hybridisation, I think Nikon might consider putting in on-sensor PDAF for video use in the D6, but so far Nikon have avoided that on DSLRs, I guess the main issue is the banding and striping. Nikon also seem to have problems with the automatic subject tracking algorithms in continuous shooting judging from Z7 reports. Though I must say I don't believe many professional sports photographer would be using 3D tracking for sports. I've tried, I think it's just a fantasy that it would work reliably enough to use for many sports. Nikon's Sports AF guide recommends the 25-point dynamic for most close subjects and group-area for distant ones or for closest-subject priority.

I think the D6 will be a clean DSLR, but what happens in 2024 (D7), it's difficult to know, I think it depends on how much progress there is in DSLR AF in that time, and whether Nikon can keep A9-style bodies at bay. Currently some users prefer A9 AF to Nikons, but then some users of both A9 and D5 note the D5 is superior for indoor sports, and others have reported difficulty in picking up far out of focus subjects with the A9 (the focus is sticky, and can be difficult to persuade it to focus on a closer subject, whereas in the Nikon DSLRs, focus is easily picked up even if the new subject is far out of focus, and much closer to camera, the system in most cases will shift subjects quickly). Of course, Nikon will need to make an A9-style camera as well, for silent photography and high-speed applications, but I personally suspect the DSLR will continue to initiate focus faster when the focus is not close initially. I guess it depends very much on application, which type of camera is preferable. Without doubt either system is amazing compared to what was available 10 or 20 years ago.

I was at the figure skating Grand Prix in Helsinki this past weekend, I saw rows of Canon and Nikon DSLRs with mostly 70-200/2.8, 300/2.8, (180)200-400/4 type lenses, some 100-400 or 80-400, among the accredited photographers; I didn't notice any A9's but perhaps it would be hard to tell the white 400/2.8 from the Canons.

My short wish list for the D6

• a hybrid viewer without impacting the optical dimension; an OVF with a HUD type overlay display,
    some more pixels would always be welcome (30 MPx); mainly for cropping purposes;
    inherit some of the D850 features;
    on-sensor PDAF, but maintaining the classic AF systems; in no case this should deteriorate the AF capabilities, neither image quality;

In sports photography I'm using mainly two AF settings: (1) group area for very fast subjects (sport cars); (2) 3D tracking for people subjects; moving / running and static.

Every month I'm on the race tracks; and the group photo of the winners at race end is a good way to observe and sample cameras used: this is exclusively dominated by Canon and Nikon; with more Nikons now than in the past, and now to a close 50/50; up to now I haven't seen any professionals using Sony photo cameras.

mix of Canon & Nikon

And we should not forget about the ruggedness of our Nikon "single digit" cameras:

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 11:07:14 »

Example of High DR photo, taken with a D5, last week:

https://mfloyd.prodibi.com/a/6lxzle9vk6erjo/i/9oqg0dqgdkr9ov

(click to enlarge)

nice shot!
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 12:35:12 »
Yes, nice shot!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 15:01:01 »
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 18:17:47 »
Tried the D5 for a couple of days and decided to go for it.

Yes, the DR performance at low ISO (a bit more noise when lifting the shadows) is not as good as the D4s. Still, nothing I’ve to worry about.

The better AF and performance at middle/high iso (3200- 51200) was impressive and the reasons why I decided to trade in the D4s.

Thank you all for your help 🙂.