Author Topic: New Flickr rules! Holy Cow!  (Read 2128 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
New Flickr rules! Holy Cow!
« on: November 01, 2018, 17:44:13 »
as a long time Flickr user
and long time pro user
I switched to "free" a while ago, because I do not use the service much.

And now?

"Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn’t Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant free offering.

If you are a free member with more than 1,000 photos or videos, you will have ample time to upgrade to Pro (for 30% off your first year) or download your photos and videos.* Read more about this decision."

By the current rules I use 1.1% of my allowed space.

What will I do?

download my content and shut the furk down.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: New Flickr rules! Holy Cow!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 18:07:42 »
I've got quite a few images out there, categorized to help me share.  Not sure if it is worth it to me to go the Pro route.   Might need to find a new home.  Anyone have any recommendations?   Not necessarily looking for free....but same price or less and a good categorization process would be awesome.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 18:27:38 »
I used to pay 50US$ per two years, now they want 50US$ for one year for features I do not need (except for the more the 1000 pieces wich is a new and unexpected limit). I feel I paid for building the site, now they take my content hostage. That is not good buisiness practice so I will move.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 18:31:56 »
I never expected anything from a "free unlimited" site, so I went Pro years ago ! At one time, because of Yahoo, I migrated to Ipernety, a EU based site (EU laws), quite nice but much "slower" than Flickr... So after a time and some Flickr ameliorations, I migrated back.

In fact I'm quite interested by the new owner, Smugmug, for once a photography oriented owner (as opposed to a commercial web generalist). I expected the shift toward Smugmug services (that are efficient), and was curious of how Smugmug and Flickr would complete each other. I'll wait till the full shift operates to see if there will be real benefits of having a Pro (paying) membership or not... 8)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 18:33:09 »
If the would offer to switch to smugmug keeping my content it would make more sense.

But it will sure lead to lots of holes in linking sites